Star Wars Land

Obi Walt Kenobi

A massive star wars expansion would be the most exciting thing that Disney World has done in years. I think the popularity of star wars weekends alone show what a boost this would be to the studios. Not to mention star wars is the perfect match for merchandise and I think dsney knows that. On the fantasmic rumor I must say I like fantasmic but I do think a night show featuring John Williams music from star wars would be a night time show that really separates it self from all other night time shows.

CinematicFusion

“From what industry people are saying, it could be one of the largest expansions ever at Walt Disney World,” said Disney expert and author Chad Emerson.

CinematicFusion

Looks like yahoo has picked up on the Orlando business journal rumor...
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/disney-star-wars-land-could-bigger-thought-092400808.html

"According to an inside source, they claim that the 'Star Wars' expansion will "dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history." And with the amount they're expecting to be invested into this new project, it's obvious why think it's going to be huge. "It's expected that any type of Star Wars expansion could easily be north of $200 million,"

Hope these rumors turn out to be true...we shall find out in August.

Sue_Vongello

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/disney-star-wars-land-could-bigger-thought-092400808.html

"According to an inside source, they claim that the 'Star Wars' expansion will "dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history." And with the amount they're expecting to be invested into this new project, it's obvious why think it's going to be huge. "It's expected that any type of Star Wars expansion could easily be north of $200 million,"

Now with so much attention ... Disney will look stupid if D23 comes and goes with out an announcement that equals the rumors. HOPEFULLY ... this news is forcing Disney's hand.

Fox&Hound

Just on a personal note, I hope Disney's plan for a DHS make-over (Please, please tell me it's actually happening and we're not getting excited for nothing) considers lot of different changes and not just one singular focus on Star Wars. I like Star Wars, but I'm no where near the level of excitement as others. I like that it will be unique and get people into the park, but my hope is not a brand new DHS with 150% more Star Wars. My perfect balance would be: added Star Wars land with a E-ticket, Pixar Expansion with a Cars presence (especially Flo's which is delicious and Mater's which is a fun kiddie ride), Monster's Inc presence, and maybe some kiddie rides themed to Incredibles, a replacement of B&B stage show (maybe Tangled or Mickey and the Map), and then some overall cosmetic updates. Add some trolleys or old Hollywood charm. I'd love to see so many little things and few big things added that the park looks and feels completely different. Just my two cents....

GrumpyFan

I hate to bring this into the conversation, but with Disney allegedly making this huge expansion, does it maybe give us an indication of where the plans are for Avatar? Is the expansion at DHS a replacement for what they have or had planned for Avatar? Perhaps its still not dead, but it would appear to be seriously and severely stalled in development. I don't remember there ever being quite so much noise about Avatar, even after it was officially announced. Of course, with Disney, none of this actually means anything until the ground breaks.

willtravel

What is it $1.7 billion for implementing MyMagic+ compared to $200 million for an expansion of Star Wars does not seem like much.

NoChesterHester

I hate to bring this into the conversation, but with Disney allegedly making this huge expansion, does it maybe give us an indication of where the plans are for Avatar? Is the expansion at DHS a replacement for what they have or had planned for Avatar? Perhaps its still not dead, but it would appear to be seriously and severely stalled in development. I don't remember there ever being quite so much noise about Avatar, even after it was officially announced. Of course, with Disney, none of this actually means anything until the ground breaks.

According to several people, Avatar is still moving ahead. This doesn't have impact on that.

Of course there is more noise about Star Wars. Avatar was a summertime short lived phenomenon, Star Wars is part of our culture.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Fantasyland was one of the biggest expansions to a WDW park and it cost $425 million. Not sure how they are going to do something even bigger on just $200 million.

CinematicFusion

"Avatar land in Animal Kingdom ... LaTimes: "For the moment, Disney is focused on an ambitious theme park project based on director James Cameron's blockbuster science-fiction fantasy, "Avatar." Disney struck a licensing deal with Cameron, his producing parter, Jon Landau, and film distributor 20th Century Fox, to develop rides and attractions based on the 2009 hit.
The first "Avatar" inspired land is planned for Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Iger told shareholders that the new attraction won't likely open until 2015."

So Iger is still telling shareholders of the coming of Avatar to Animal Kingdom....not sure if things have changed or not?

CinematicFusion

Fantasyland was one of the biggest expansions to a WDW park and it cost $425 million. Not sure how they are going to do something even bigger on just $200 million.

Might be part of a bigger expansion for all of Walt Disney World. The hot rumors now are
1. Pixar Place with Cars Dark Ride and a Monsters Monstropolis themed area (not sure if this means the Monster's Inc. coaster
2. Star Wars Land
3. Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom

If they announce all of this at D3 in August, it could be considered the largest expansion ever for Walt Disney World (in terms of today's dollars not adjusted for inflation) If they spend 1 billion dollars for the expansion...Disney could hype it as the largest expansion ever.

NoChesterHester

The $200 million quote comes from one article that was done by a writer that was already debunked by Phenix. Lets get off the $200 million dollar discussion insanity and wait to see what they present to us at D23. From Spirits description last night at 2:19am the overhaul sounds very impressive.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ns-thoughts-tres.865891/page-216#post-5571402

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Ok, this is just a dumb statement by whoever wrote this piece. If it was going to "dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history", it'd have to cost a heckuva lot more than $200 million. Bad journalism.

bubbles1812

E
A massive star wars expansion would be the most exciting thing that Disney World has done in years. I think the popularity of star wars weekends alone show what a boost this would be to the studios. Not to mention star wars is the perfect match for merchandise and I think dsney knows that. On the fantasmic rumor I must say I like fantasmic but I do think a night show featuring John Williams music from star wars would be a night time show that really separates it self from all other night time shows.
Eh... I certainly like the music from Star Wars, and it obviously is quite iconic but truthfully, I would rather keep Fantasmic. A night show with only SW just seems like way too narrow a focus. Great for SW fans sure, but I think what has helped with Fantasmic's popularity is the broad scope it has with featuring so many characters, not to mention it is one of the few attractions besides M&Gs that has Mickey as a focus. A night show focusing just on one franchise wouldn't do it for me. Now a movie related show with Star Wars as a part of it, I could maybe get behind.

That said... A Star Wars expansion would be great (so long as the Muppets still get a presence somewhere in the park) and a smart move for Disney in turn of bringing in some moolah.

bubbles1812

Ok, this is just a dumb statement by whoever wrote this piece. If it was going to "dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history", it'd have to cost a heckuva lot more than $200 million. Bad journalism.
I had a conversation with @NoChesterHester earlier in this thread about this exact article and how 200 million isn't going to get you there (And again, these articles usually do mention the whole project budget, not a broken down piece of the budget). I agree with you wholeheartedly. So let us hope that number is wrong. 200 million would maybe get you the speeder bike coaster, a QS, and a shop. But certainly no C ticket.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I had a conversation with @NoChesterHester earlier in this thread about this exact article and how 200 million isn't going to get you there (And again, these articles usually do mention the whole project budget, not a broken down piece of the budget). I agree with you wholeheartedly. So let us hope that number is wrong. 200 million would maybe get you the speeder bike coaster, a QS, and a shop. But certainly no C ticket.

I suspect that, if there is a Star Wars expansion coming, the budget is much more than $200 million. My comment was really just focusing on the sheer dumbness of the yahoo piece. Two seconds of research would confirm multiple expansions bigger than $200 million.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom