Star Wars Land

Pumbaa1222

So what you're saying is that a majority of the available land they could use for expansions they shouldn't/ can't use, and whys that?

Why wouldn't they remove Streets of america? Its wasted space 10 months out of the year.

I see no reason for any of those things to stay. Yes the muppets are more relevant now but its still not very relevant, it doesn't even approach SW popularity which will grow massively in the next 10 years, no one will go there to see a 20 year old muppet show, people will go to see a new Star Wars/ Cars ride that takes its place, its as simple as that.

I hope Pizza planet gets taken out, it needs to be the real Pizza Planet, if not in pixar place then perhaps there is a globe shaped building somewhere on property, a building who's future is up in the air, maybe its in a high traffic location, yet still easily accessible so that it can serve as a big draw to a newly redeveloped area, if only a building existed…

Im not sure they would really be able to expand into the parking lot, it seems like studios already has parking problems, and if you add either Star Wars or Carsland they will get much worse, but if you add both it would be ridiculous. Making the lot smaller is not an option unless they want to build a parking deck which would drive the cost up.

Two things:
1) The entire point of adding attractions to DHS is that there is not enough to do. Simply tearing down a big chunk of the park to replace it with SW isn't not ideal, regardless of the popularity of the attractions, they still are attractions that are needed. It also doesn't allow for stages of redevelopment or expansion. It would have to be all or nothing to keep the park functional.

2) This expansion behind Star Tours is not really into the parking lot, it would mean removing Parade buildings (already happening) and Costuming and Cast Services, both of which I would think could be easily moved elsewhere. So this would not be losing parking, it would be gaining usable park space. It has also been discussed that there may be plans to move the entrance Victory Way, which would make more sense any way, and give even more room for future expansion without building parking structures (except to increase capacity, which with all the additions maybe come necessary)

Magenta Panther

NOOOOO!!!!!
Luke-No-Supercut-Star-Wars.jpg

Seriously, why all the drama? Both "Muppets" and "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" are sparsely attended and wheezingly outdated. Good riddance to both of them!

Magenta Panther

Magenta I find it rich you are arguing relevance considering your avatar...alot of people love the Muppets..get used to it

The Pink Panther is a dead franchise too. ;) And considering the last few films and cartoon versions, it's better off dead. And there's no chance it'll ever be an attraction at WDW...thank god.

If you're referring to Oswald, he's an actual Disney creation, not an wrong-headed acquisition, and given his pedigree, he's much more relevant to Disney and WDW than the Muppets ever will be. Look, I understand the nostalgia, but IMO the Muppet attraction is as dated as the Jungle Cruise and needs to go. It's not pulling in the tourists, the merch doesn't sell well (which is why the dedicated Muppet store sells mostly Mickey stuff now), so if it's slated for replacement for something new, then good. JMHO.

Ignohippo

So what you're saying is that a majority of the available land they could use for expansions they shouldn't/ can't use, and whys that?

Why wouldn't they remove Streets of america? Its wasted space 10 months out of the year.

I see no reason for any of those things to stay. Yes the muppets are more relevant now but its still not very relevant, it doesn't even approach SW popularity which will grow massively in the next 10 years, no one will go there to see a 20 year old muppet show, people will go to see a new Star Wars/ Cars ride that takes its place, its as simple as that.

I hope Pizza planet gets taken out, it needs to be the real Pizza Planet, if not in pixar place then perhaps there is a globe shaped building somewhere on property, a building who's future is up in the air, maybe its in a high traffic location, yet still easily accessible so that it can serve as a big draw to a newly redeveloped area, if only a building existed…

Im not sure they would really be able to expand into the parking lot, it seems like studios already has parking problems, and if you add either Star Wars or Carsland they will get much worse, but if you add both it would be ridiculous. Making the lot smaller is not an option unless they want to build a parking deck which would drive the cost up.

First off, CarsLand would go in the BackLot and where LMA is now, so that wouldn't lead to a demo of Streets of America.

Second, there's no argument that a SW land would be far more popular than anything that's there now (IMO, if done right, it would be the most popular theme park addition ever - anywhere).

With that said, there's available room in the parking lot and over the current back gate entrance road, expanding the park's current berm. There isn't a need to demolish anything for SW. Yes, parking structures would be needed, but, as you even stated yourself, parking structures will be needed anyway if the park becomes more popular in any way.

Streets Of America IS dead space. However it's also a major part of what gives DHS what little identity it still has. With the millions invested in building the area, I just don't see them removing it if they don't have to. It will eventually be home to a nighttime street party I'm sure. And with Osbourne Lights being as insanely popular as it is (and the biggest holiday draw for WDW), they'd have to completely re-design it for another area or do away with it altogether. We all know that isn't happening.

The area needs an attraction, it doesn't need to be demo'd. Besides, it would be the perfect home for Marvel if they could ever get the rights back (not saying they ever will, but a guy can dream).

As for Pizza Planet, I whole-heartedly agree with you. The perfect place for it would be where the StudioCatering Co. is now. The shop across from it could become Al's Toy Barn and it would be the perfect connector to expand Pixar Place to CarsLAnd and change the HISTK area to Bug's Life.

The Muppets show isn't going anywhere. With LMA going, they'll need the indoor capacity eater. As with Streets Of America, it needs a refresh, not a demo. Whether you like them or not, TWDCo. has too much invested in The Muppets to remove their only theme park attraction. If anything, The Muppets area will get expanded and take over what is now Pizza Planet. The Muppets aren't going anywhere.

articos

Thanks. Dreams. Crushed.

Some of it is more generally accurate, but it's stuff that's been discussed around here for a while now. Dreams. Alive.
And what implications are "on the mark"?
There is a large project coming for DHS, involving IP's that are well-loved.
Care to elaborate? Otherwise what's the point?

The point was to say the article was making some implications and leading comments that were not on the mark. As most here know, I do not share details on internal information or rumors, especially ones subject to change, but I will correct or confirm.

twebber55

Some of it is more generally accurate, but it's stuff that's been discussed around here for a while now. Dreams. Alive.
There is a large project coming for DHS, involving IP's that are well-loved.

The point was to say the article was making some implications and leading comments that were not on the mark. As most here know, I do not share details on internal information or rumors, especially ones subject to change, but I will correct or confirm.

So asking which of these projects (including DAK) start and or finish first probably wont come from you right? Lol

Ignohippo

They really are just quoting the same Niles piece, which Articos and Martin confirmed as inaccurate. The last part sound about right however - Placemaking + Meet and Greets + Cantina. Sound more plausible. Unfortunately.

TheForce.Net is a good site. Rebel Force Radio is reporting something similar. I haven't had a chance to listen to their episode yet, but RFR's sources are very high up at Lucasfilm and would likely know what is going on.

It sounds to me that the Cantina and plussing Star Tours would be a "Phase One" while they figure out what else they want to do and how. Very, very smart if you ask me (since it would more than likely take a few years to design any kind of "land"), as long as they make it very clear that more will be coming later.

I can only imagine the collective sigh (and fanboi rage) if a plussed Star Tours and a Cantina restaurant were the only additions coming to the parks after Disney's acquisition of LucasFilm!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
At this point, is Disney going to feel that their hand is being forced to either confirm or deny these rumors, or will they pull a standard PR like of:

"At Disney we are always looking at ways to enhance our guest's experience by adding new attraction and entertainment options, and there are many exciting plans in constant development for all of our worldwide themeparks that we are looking forward to announcing in the near future".

You know, basically say nothing but make it sound like they are saying something?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It sounds to me that the Cantina and plussing Star Tours would be a "Phase One" while they figure out what else they want to do and how. Very, very smart if you ask me, as long as they make it very clear that more will be coming later.

I can only imagine the collective sigh (and fanboi rage) if a plussed Star Tours and a Cantina restaurant were the only additions coming to the parks after Disney's acquisition of LucasFilm!

Honestly, I'd agree and think they'd want to keep their options open for "future expansion" anyway. If any of the 100 or so Star Wars films/projects that they are planning currently strikes a chord with the public, I'd think they'd want to be able to expand and create sections based on those as well.

Ignohippo

I actually rather like the Streets of America as a relaxing place to walk around in DHS. It's sort of like the Rivers of America/Tom Sawyer Island of DHS.

I agree, to an extent. There still needs to be some kind of draw there – whether it be shops retro-fitted into the buildings or some kind of small ride, there needs to be something more there. Nothing major, but something to give it more of a feeling that there's actually something going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom