Star Wars Land

Turtle

In terms of Muppets being demolished, what IF the park came to this:

- Streets of America goes to Star Wars

- Echo Lake goes to Indiana Jones or Oz or Hollywood Boulevard expansion

-
The Backlot goes to Cars

- Soundstage 1 Area is expansion of Pixar (Monsters Dark Ride/Coaster, Meet and Greets, Spinner?)

- And then Muppets go to where Animation Courtyard is with enough space for a live theater show, Muppet Mobile Labs, character dining, a shop, and an interactive attraction

tmstephe

Disney bought Oswald in 2006.

BOUGHT. BOUGHT. BOUGHT. BOUGHT

More accurately, they *traded* for Oswald. He is an original Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks creation, which (if I follow correctly) nullifies your argument against his value in the parks.

DonaldDoleWhip

Disney bought Oswald in 2006.

BOUGHT. BOUGHT. BOUGHT. BOUGHT
I don't know if you're joking or not, but Oswald was one of Walt's first big characters. Walt then lost the the rights to Oswald in early 1928, which is why he started making Mickey Mouse cartoons. Oswald is very much a Disney creation.

Taylor

I don't know if you're joking or not, but Oswald was one of Walt's first big characters. Walt then lost the the rights to Oswald in early 1928, which is why he started making Mickey Mouse cartoons. Oswald is very much a Disney creation.
He was making fun of Magenta

Turtle

He was a Walt Disney-created creation under Universal and Charles Mintz. The Walt Disney Company bought Oswald in 2006

Turtle

More accurately, they *traded* for Oswald. He is an original Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks creation, which (if I follow correctly) nullifies your argument against his value in the parks.
But he's still as much bought as Pixar, Muppets, Marvel, Star Wars that didn't make much grammatical sense

DonaldDoleWhip

He was a Walt Disney-created creation under Universal and Charles Mintz. The Walt Disney Company bought Oswald in 2006

I see what you're saying now. Personally I still see Oswald as more "Disney" than the Muppets (simply because he was Walt's character, even if he had to be acquired by TWDC at one point), but I agree with you that the Muppets are more relevant and they've been part of the Disney family for long enough (much like Pixar, which is all over the parks now). Oswald will never have anything major in the parks, but a tribute like the Buena Vista Street store (with some Oswald ears on sale) would be nice.

As far as this topic goes, I don't want the Muppets to go, but if it was for a Star Wars land, I'd be okay with it.

Turtle

I see what you're saying now. Personally I still see Oswald as more "Disney" than the Muppets (simply because he was Walt's character), but I agree with you that the Muppets are more relevant and they've been part of the Disney family for long enough (much like Pixar, which is all over the parks now). As far as this topic goes, I don't want the Muppets to go, but if it was for a Star Wars land, I'd be okay with it.
I agree that Star Wars Land is need more than Muppet-Vision staying but Echo Lake would be a fine spot for the expansion without removing Streets of America which is a nice, quiet spot and includes Muppet-Vision and Osbourne Lights.
If Echo Lake was removed, all they would lose is the Indy show (the studios has plenty of shows) and empty American Idol + Sounds Dangerous building

El Grupo

Rebel Force radio is a very respected Star Wars fan podcast. The hosts are extremely well connected all the way up to the top of Lucasfilm.

They are reporting similar news, but not the same as Theme Park Insider. According to RFR the presence will be expanded into the Cast Member Parking lot behind the current Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Which does make geographic sense. Their source also stated that Pixar will take over the back portion of the park eliminating the “dead areas behind Muppets.”

They were not able to share specifics other than “the presence will be expanded into new land.”

My understanding was that the initial plans for DHS called for major park expansions to be made in the cast member parking lot that you've mentioned. If this was the case and Disney does choose to add a Star Wars Land in this area, seems like it would fit well into the original growth strategy.

doctornick

As far as this topic goes, I don't want the Muppets to go, but if it was for a Star Wars land, I'd be okay with it.

I totally agree with this. I absolutely don't want to see the Muppets go (and, in general, want to limit the reduction of attractions in general given how limited DHS is anyway) but if it asolutely had to be for Star Wars, I'd consider that an upgrade.

That said, between using the backstage area, the current access toll road, part of the parking lot, the Sounds Dangerous/American Idol theaters, the IJ area, etc. I think there are better options for Star Wars expansion than SOA and the Muppets space.

doctornick

My understanding was that the initial plans for DHS called for major park expansions to be made in the cast member parking lot that you've mentioned. If this was the case and Disney does choose to add a Star Wars Land in this area, seems like it would fit well into the original growth strategy.

They could always put more cast parking on the other side of World Dr and have a shuttle or an overpass to get to the park. If necessary.

Same goes with putting stuff like costuming if they needed a new backstage area for it.

Yensid1974

Remember, adding attractions (re:capacity) to DHS helps not only in making it a "full-day" park, if done well with several (more than 2) new attractions it will pull some of the guests away from MK and spread them around the rest of the resort. I speak as a CM at MK that we are busier than we should be a lot of the time based on total attendance at the resort because the other 3 parks just don't keep people there for a full day's fun.

Rose&Crowner

Didn't read 77 pages of this to see if its been said, but IGN (geeky games and stuff) is reporting on the article too. FWIW.

Now I'm off again, later folks!

Rose&Crowner

Oh and one more thing... Even if this particular report or article isn't true, rdoesn't anyone else remember taking the survey a couple of months back about Star Wars and the Walt Disney World resort? I know I took it and I responded with great interest in a land/park based on Star Wars. Don't you think that everyone else did too? It's a matter of when, not if.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Whether this particular site has a scoop or is just recycling old rumors it went viral, was reported by multiple other sites (not just Disney ones) and people are talking about it...a lot. Not just us Disney geeks, but "regular" folks too. The fact that so many people will get so excited over this rumor so quickly should be all the evidence needed that its a great move. This rumor generated as much or more buzz than the formal announcement of Avatarland. It's a winner. Build it already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom