Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mickeyboof

The shops of Diagon Alley are so wonderful and delightful, they’re almost Walkthrough attractions. The streets themselves ooze with magic. One can spend some time just watching people do spells, listening to the music, watching the puppet show and brilliant jazz performances....

Galaxy’s Edge does have that one droid turning a split roast though! That’s fun to watch.......

The wand shop you can experience the magic with a paid actor, versus the $200 scrap metal show starring an over eager bright eyed college program CM.

I don’t have time to go into the meaning of the shops at Harry Potter. The emotional connection to your first wand, the book store, even how bitter sweet the Weasley wizarding wheezes shop is...

Only the Cantina has that emotional power at Galaxy’s Edge.

Mike S

As has been mentioned, I'd argue that it is the same with Diagon Alley - limited actual attractions, mostly just shops and "stuff to look at". In fact, especially as I consider Gingrotts to be a disappointing attraction, this has actually been a complaint from me at least since day 1 of that land.
At least with Diagon Alley it’s a location lifted directly from the source material so you really can’t blame how it’s built with all the shops. It wasn’t first made for a theme park. I’m pretty sure fans would’ve been mad if it wasn’t built this way as well.

As for Gringotts, yeah. Especially now after Hagrid it feels like it could’ve been more.

Tom Morrow

As has been mentioned, I'd argue that it is the same with Diagon Alley - limited actual attractions, mostly just shops and "stuff to look at". In fact, especially as I consider Gingrotts to be a disappointing attraction, this has actually been a complaint from me at least since day 1 of that land.
This was a common complaint about Diagon Alley since day one while simultaneously recognizing that it's an amazingly detailed area ("it's a mall", "only one ride", "the ride is mediocre"), but now people have shifted to the opinion that Diagon Alley is now apparently theme park perfection because its fun to root for the underdog and chastise the leader.

The shops of Diagon Alley are so wonderful and delightful, they’re almost Walkthrough attractions. The streets themselves ooze with magic. One can spend some time just watching people do spells, listening to the music, watching the puppet show and brilliant jazz performances....

Galaxy’s Edge does have that one droid turning a split roast though! That’s fun to watch.......

The wand shop you can experience the magic with a paid actor, versus the $200 scrap metal show starring an over eager bright eyed college program CM.

I don’t have time to go into the meaning of the shops at Harry Potter. The emotional connection to your first wand, the book store, even how bitter sweet the Weasley wizarding wheezes shop is...

Only the Cantina has that emotional power at Galaxy’s Edge.
There are no famous shops in the Star Wars films with an emotional connection so they kind of have to come up with their own. AFAIK the light saber-building presenter is also a paid actor.

erasure fan1

but now people have shifted to the opinion that Diagon Alley is now apparently theme park perfection because its fun to root for the underdog and chastise the leader.
I've said it before. Potter gets a pass because it's EVERYTHING a Potter fan wants to see. That's why so many fans, even the ones that are extremely critical of galaxys edge, say things like, but seeing the falcon was amazing. It's something they've always wanted to see. You have no idea the reaction I had the first time I saw the AT-AT and bright tree village at star tours. It instantaneously made that my favorite place in all of Disney. Im not saying galaxys edge should have been some greatest hits land. But I would bet this is a big reason people give Potter a pass on some of the same issues star wars has.

Last edited:

Darth Snips

This is kinda random, but:

Does anyone know what happened to @JediMasterMatt? I remember he used to share some really cool info in this thread and the DL thread. He hasn't posted regularly in quite a while, but he hasn't posted at all since GE opened. I, for one, would be curious to hear his thoughts/opinions on GE's crowds, budget cuts, interactive effects, RotR, etc.

Mickeyboof

This was a common complaint about Diagon Alley since day one while simultaneously recognizing that it's an amazingly detailed area ("it's a mall", "only one ride", "the ride is mediocre"), but now people have shifted to the opinion that Diagon Alley is now apparently theme park perfection because its fun to root for the underdog and chastise the leader.

There are no famous shops in the Star Wars films with an emotional connection so they kind of have to come up with their own. AFAIK the light saber-building presenter is also a paid actor.

They’re as much as a paid actor as Janet from the popcorn cart is.

The_Jobu

In my eyes, fan service isn't a negative. It's what drives these type of IPs forward. No one wants generic sci-fi movie, they want star wars. If you like Rouge one like you said, you should love the Mandalorian. My complaint of Galaxys edge has always been about better representation of the complete saga. You can give me new and different, like black spire, all day long. But without some well thought out fan sevice, it might just feel hollow to a lot of people. And I think that did happen.

I haven't seen anyone complain about the show having too much fanservice, which would be a stupid complaint to have.

Actually, I haven't seen any legitimate complaints for the show. It's the best thing Disney has done with the franchise from what I can see.

Speaking of people with stupid complaints though....

Kamikaze

I haven't seen anyone complain about the show having too much fanservice, which would be a stupid complaint to have.

Not a complaint, and I don't know if its fan service as much as simply made by fans. Its like Jon Favreau sat around with all his friends (who he then cast in the show) and talked about what Star Wars scenes they 'played' as kids. And then they filmed them. Its more like a big budget fanfic than just calling it 'fan service'.

The_Jobu

Not a complaint, and I don't know if its fan service as much as simply made by fans. Its like Jon Favreau sat around with all his friends (who he then cast in the show) and talked about what Star Wars scenes they 'played' as kids. And then they filmed them. Its more like a big budget fanfic than just calling it 'fan service'.

I'd check it out if I had D+

JediMasterMatt

This is kinda random, but:

Does anyone know what happened to @JediMasterMatt? I remember he used to share some really cool info in this thread and the DL thread. He hasn't posted regularly in quite a while, but he hasn't posted at all since GE opened. I, for one, would be curious to hear his thoughts/opinions on GE's crowds, budget cuts, interactive effects, RotR, etc.

Yeah, whatever happened to that guy?

Answer - he was asked nicely to stop talking.

I'm still here. Just keeping my promises to my friends.

My thoughts are very much in line with what everyone else has shared. I've been to GE (both coasts) a few times. Been up to the destroyer once even (just the hanger bay unfortunately). It's a shame that things couldn't have worked out the way they should've been. A lot of what if scenario's would've made things better. What if the streetmosphere's budget hadn't been slashed? What if Alcatraz hadn't fallen behind? What if the attention that was pulled from Alcatraz to accelerate the opening of Batuu had been kept on task? What if the decision of leave the random ride profiles of the Falcon had been left in?

I certainly understand the majority of complaints. While the Falcon is an E-ticket in every sense, if you go back to my very first words about this attraction - I made the comparison to the Hogwarts Express experience. This was very, very intentional. To some, the Hogwarts Express is nothing more than a train with a screen on it that happens to take you to another park. For a fan of that universe, it is a fantastic case of wish fulfillment. This is very much the underlying issue with the Falcon, minus the delivery of being an actual source of transportation. Do I think the current state of the Falcon achieves the same level or immersion that the Hogwarts Express does - no. The bar to hit that is simply too high to achieve. The practicality of having a functioning theme park attraction that needs to serve thousands of guests per hour doesn't make it easy for a ship the size of the Falcon to accommodate everyone. Rampgate is the least of the concerns. With what limitations they had to work around, the execution of what was accomplished is still astonishing. I've been on the ride with people who have been on several of the actual Falcon sets and they were all still impressed by what the ride accomplishes. At the end of the day, it's still a motion simulator and that is the best way to accomplish the job; but, - it was never going to be the headliner that the land needs.

Rise will be.

When it opens, the tide should turn. It's going to be a great attraction; but, I am worried that some may not heed the caution about the "ride" part. My earliest words on this project was that it was going to blur the lines of "where does the attraction actually begin" and this is very, very true of Alcatraz. If you believe the Haunted Mansion starts the moment you enter the doors (which it does) and not the moment you enter the Doombuggies then you have the right frame of mind for how exceptional this attraction will be. I'm not one that believes that MK's Pirates queue compensates for the deficits of it's peers (it doesn't); but, if you are going into Rise with the thought the attraction is only the part in the troop transport - you are making a mistake. While the part in motion will be spectacular, to limit your mindset to just the last act of the experience is setting you up for disappointment as the entire experience needs to be viewed as a whole.
Much like Galaxy's Edge.

None of us, up until a very few select few that have been on RotR, have been able to experience the big picture yet. Even those aren't getting what was originally planned with the droids, beasts of burden, drones, etc.

Still, the picture will get a lot clearer in the next few days.

I can't wait to complete my journey when I head back down to Batuu for the opening.

*BTW - if they add background music in the land, it will make a lot of the problems go away. Potter lands without the underlying score would suffer the same penalty.

Mike S

Actually, I haven't seen any legitimate complaints for the show. It's the best thing Disney has done with the franchise from what I can see.

Speaking of people with stupid complaints though....

If only it was as woke as Charlie’s Angels maybe it could’ve gone just as broke. Such a missed opportunity.

Damn patriarchy making something fun and enjoyable!!! *shakes fist*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom