Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mikejs78

Premium Member
Why would it be a disaster if they dropped the timeline?
It would remove the elements of storytelling that exist and were created for the land. The backstory, the placemaking,.etc, and turn it just into a generic Star Wars Land that exists not to tell a story (which is what we all expect from Disney), but to cowtow to the most vocal critics.

In my mind, Batuu is solved by two things: opening Rise (which is happening immenently), and by adding more stuff - shows, drones, aliens walking around... To satisfy the OT fans, they should have C3PO and R2 as roamable characters. Maybe add a third minor attraction - an indoor show featuring force ghosts, so we could see Luke, Anakin, Yoda, etc... There's a lot they could to do preserve the timeline and story, but still provide elements to people who are only drawn to the OT, or PT for that matter.

Last edited:

Darth Snips

Tatooine wouldn't work for me. I hate sand.
1574779924950.png

RSoxNo1

It would remove the elements of storytelling that exist and were created for the land. The backstory, the placemaking,.etc, and turn it just into a generic Star Wars Land that exists not to tell a story (which is what we all expect from Disney), but to cowtow to the most vocal critics.

In my mind, Batuu is solved by two things: opening Rise (which is happening immenently), and by adding more stuff - shows, drones, aliens walking around... To satisfy the OT fans, they should have C3PO and R2 as roamable characters. Maybe add a third minor attraction - an indoor show featuring force ghosts, so we could see Luke, Anakin, Yoda, etc... There's a lot they could to do preserve the timeline and story, but still provide elements to people who are only drawn to the OT, or PT for that matter.
Don't get me wrong, the timeline isn't the only problem with the land, but I could see them adhering to the timeline for Rise of the Resistance, but locking into that timeline limits character options for the land as well as missions for Smugglers Run.

If they had more aliens and droids roaming the land with Rise of the Resistance open, most of the timeline concerns go away. Alternatively, they could set it up so that groups of characters go out at different times so that you don't have Kylo and Vader out simultaneously.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Went to DHS on Saturday with some local friends. We had all been to SWGE at least once before.

DHS wasn't our first park of the day, but when we were like, should we go to SWGE are, we were all like "meh, I guess". I've never had that reaction going to other new lands. SWGE is definitely missing something and I don't think ROTR is going to fix it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, the timeline isn't the only problem with the land, but I could see them adhering to the timeline for Rise of the Resistance, but locking into that timeline limits character options for the land as well as missions for Smugglers Run.

If they had more aliens and droids roaming the land with Rise of the Resistance open, most of the timeline concerns go away. Alternatively, they could set it up so that groups of characters go out at different times so that you don't have Kylo and Vader out simultaneously.

I literally saw Vader and Kylo Ren together on stage the other day for the Jedi Academy. It's weird that Disney would be so focused on continuity in one land and completely ignores it in another. (Yes, apparently it's not real Vader and Kylo Ren at the Jedi Academy, blah blah)

RobWDW1971

Vi Moradi, Dok Ondar, the TIE Eschelon, Oga's Cantina, DJ R3X, and the entirety of Black Spire Outpost are nothing more than the 21st Century version of things like Figment, the Ghost Host, the Columbia, Blue Bayou, Sonny Eclipse, and Harambe. They created all of these new items as original, Disney Parks stories. Isn't this the exact kind of creativity we've been waiting for?

Original does not always mean quality and entertaining (See: DCA 1.0). The complaints you hear and the overall tepid response from the masses is not simply "new vs. expected", it is about the countless terrible creative choices that have created an abandoned, lifeless movie set void of fun, energy, excitement, and yes, characters from past/present/future.

Oh, and yes, Vi Moradi totally sucks, I think we can all agree on that ;)

RobWDW1971

I literally saw Vader and Kylo Ren together on stage the other day for the Jedi Academy. It's weird that Disney would be so focused on continuity in one land and completely ignores it in another. (Yes, apparently it's not real Vader and Kylo Ren at the Jedi Academy, blah blah)

Yeah, we don't want that. Better to have the Force be forbidden so all Jedis are in hiding, no public use of the Force, lightsabers are forbidden, or whatever the hell the backstory is which <1% of guests know or care about. Again, truly an idiotic creative decision. Like banning wizards, wands, and magic in Harry Potter Lands - but, but, it's immersive! Or something!!!

Last edited:

erasure fan1

We complain so much about Disney playing it safe with the parks and only giving us IP-based lands. We constantly beg and plead for the Imagineers to create a unique, original environment exclusive to the parks. Well, that is exactly what Batuu is. The rides are still very movie-driven stories (the Falcon, Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, TIE fighters, etc.), but the land is a wholly new creation. For once, Disney gave us what we've been wanting: an all-new world with all ne
I just don't understand this mindset. There seems to be a huge "damned if you do, damned if you don't" element of this fanbase, and it just frustrates me. By the way, I don't mean to imply that anyone who dislikes the land or disagrees with me falls into this category. The land obviously isn't perfect, and it has some issues. I'm referring to specifically the folks who just complain that "it's not Tatooine", or that "Dok and Vi are stupid".
Every fanbase has unreasonable fans. But if you really look at the complaints, I feel the vast majority of them are spot on. The fact that it's not tatooine or hoth, endor... is not the majority of complaints that I see. And even some of the fans who do want tatooine, is that really the root of the problem? I would say no. The land is firmly rooted in the movies, yes. The problem for a lot of people is that those roots are 98% Disney star wars. And I really can't fault people for wanting more from the entire 40+ yrs the story has been around. Look no further than the Mandalorian to see that the fan base will accept new places, characters, stories... The big difference is the creatives who made the Mandalorian played it to all the fans and have stayed true to the entire saga, not just one era.

Jobacca

Oh, and yes, Vi Moradi totally sucks, I think we can all agree on that ;)

I dont agree with that at all. Like the rest of the land,they've done an excellent job of expanding Vi's backstory in the supplemental material. The CM's who play her on both coasts do an amazing job of playing along with the crowds and referencing the events of the characters life. Giving the land its own characters who are NOT hamstrung by the same story elements as the movie characters was a stroke of genius. YOU think Vi Moradi sucks....which is fine. You're certainly entitled to your complaint. But dont make the mistake of thinking you speak for everyone.

And as for your other feelings about the land "abandoned, lifeless movie set void of fun, energy, excitement, and yes, characters from past/present/future."-again. Your opinion. And for what its worth,there are many who dont share that belief.

RobWDW1971

I dont agree with that at all. Like the rest of the land,they've done an excellent job of expanding Vi's backstory in the supplemental material. The CM's who play her on both coasts do an amazing job of playing along with the crowds and referencing the events of the characters life. Giving the land its own characters who are NOT hamstrung by the same story elements as the movie characters was a stroke of genius. YOU think Vi Moradi sucks....which is fine. You're certainly entitled to your complaint. But dont make the mistake of thinking you speak for everyone.

And as for your other feelings about the land "abandoned, lifeless movie set void of fun, energy, excitement, and yes, characters from past/present/future."-again. Your opinion. And for what its worth,there are many who dont share that belief.

Noted. As always, feel free to share your differing opinions, nobody is trying to stop you.

Oh, and I'm glad they are providing "supplemental material" so guests can study in advance to know who the heck this random person is in a "Star Wars" land that is based on a brand they payed billions of dollars for that is filled with countless generational recognizable characters, truly a "stroke of genius".

Last edited:

No Name

If I were to live out my real Star Wars adventure, I wouldn’t dare share the pilot role with someone else, as that is unheard of in any case because it doesn’t work. I wonder, if six FAA-certified pilots were to ride the Falcon ride, would they succeed? Competitive rides are fun, but in this case you’re not competing, you’re unnaturally coordinating, and that can be more frustrating than fun. I’m not sure who thought this was a good idea beyond stage 1 blue sky, hope they can do something to make it better. Hopefully RotR really turns things around.

MFSR current wait time: 110 minutes, and this is without Fastpass artificially inflating it.

BuT No OnE iS GoInG ThErE aNd It’S A GhOsT ToWn

Even though we have heard plenty from plenty of reputable sources and seen plenty of action from TWDC indicating that the land did not meet their expectations... let’s take a wait time from one day at the park to prove it’s a success! I mean it’s a good sign but it’s one data point.

Gotta love voodoo analysis.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
If I were to live out my real Star Wars adventure, I wouldn’t dare share the pilot role with someone else, as that is unheard of in any case because it doesn’t work. I wonder, if six FAA-certified pilots were to ride the Falcon ride, would they succeed? Competitive rides are fun, but in this case you’re not competing, you’re unnaturally coordinating, and that can be more frustrating than fun. I’m not sure who thought this was a good idea beyond stage 1 blue sky, hope they can do something to make it better. Hopefully RotR really turns things around.

Even though we have heard plenty from plenty of reputable sources and seen plenty of action from TWDC indicating that the land did not meet their expectations... let’s take a wait time from one day at the park to prove it’s a success! I mean it’s a good sign but it’s one data point.

I'll be "flying" the MF with my H on Dec 7. He's an FAA certified pilot hoping to get the Pilot position, although he wonders if it'll be more like playing a video game. In any case, I'm dreading being his co-pilot, I'm hoping he'll be patient with me! 😅

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Teamwork makes the dream work. The only downside is that the pilots have the most fun and the current ride makes for awkward situations for first time riders who aren't pilots.

I knew someone would say this. The land didn't meet their ludicrously high expectations of being the biggest thing in the entire history of theme parks after telling everyone to not go to it for a while, after not opening it all at once and delaying the more anticipated ride at that, after blocking people from visiting it initially, but that doesn't mean it's a ghost town which a handful of people here are attempting to imply ad nauseam. People are there. People like it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Teamwork makes the dream work. The only downside is that the pilots have the most fun and the current ride makes for awkward situations for first time riders who aren't pilots.

I knew someone would say this. The land didn't meet their ludicrously high expectations of being the biggest thing in the entire history of theme parks after telling everyone to not go to it for a while, after not opening it all at once and delaying the more anticipated ride at that, after blocking people from visiting it initially, but that doesn't mean it's a ghost town which a handful of people here are attempting to imply ad nauseam. People are there. People like it.
Indeed. I've also heard that guest satisfaction scores for the land are very high. The ride itself is lower, but still good. And I believe DHS attendance is up (as opposed to Disneyland) compared to last year - just not the astronomical bump they expected (which in hindsight was somewhat ridiculous considering how people plan WDW trips, etc...).

No Name

Do you understand hyperbole? Obviously there are people there, it’s already a top ten theme park attendance-wise, and it’s not like people actively avoided the park because of Star Wars land. So it’s not actually a ghost town. Tell the forum! Tell the media!

Indeed. I've also heard that guest satisfaction scores for the land are very high. The ride itself is lower, but still good. And I believe DHS attendance is up (as opposed to Disneyland) compared to last year - just not the astronomical bump they expected (which in hindsight was somewhat ridiculous considering how people plan WDW trips, etc...).

Interesting you now call Disney’s expectations somewhat ridiculous. Most vocal members here expected crowds even larger than Disney had planned for. The reality, a minimal bump in attendance for a billion dollar investment, was not planned nor is it acceptable. Hard to say Disney’s expectations were out of line when the land has not been deemed successful by anyone with an iota of business sense.

The thought of Pandora performing better than Galaxy’s Edge is what used to be called ridiculous.

ToTBellHop

Yes. They like it. That is the general guest view. The response is not, however, as strong as the initial response to WWoHP. But, as you suggest, the opening was atypical. I will say this—there is MUCH trepidation in the company toward early 2020. If the new ride turns things around, they’ll forget about 2019. If not, expect draconian cuts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom