Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

RobWDW1971

Tony was on a podcast where he alluded to his dislike of the story telling in Galaxy’s Edge. It’s pretty clear he’s trying to be a supportive teammate... but they got it wrong and everyone knows it.

The entire concept is so fundamentally flawed and so poorly executed you wonder how it made it through the entire company’s approval process.

Like DCA, it will take years for the Imagineers who are still rationalizing it even in the face of the audience’s reaction to move on, the element of pride to dissipate, and the company will be able to admit its failure (internally only) and then “reimagine” the land.

But also like DCA, the company will keep wasting hundreds of millions of dollars and years getting to that point.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
The entire concept is so fundamentally flawed and so poorly executed you wonder how it made it through the entire company’s approval process.

Like DCA, it will take years for the Imagineers who are still rationalizing it even in the face of the audience’s reaction to move on, the element of pride to dissipate, and the company will be able to admit its failure (internally only) and then “reimagine” the land.

But also like DCA, the company will keep wasting hundreds of millions of dollars and years getting to that point.

Your sctick is getting old. Give it up already.

Phil12

...with Death Star shaped chicken nuggets...
I really like that idea, but only if they are made from gizzards, necks and feet. Many people just don't get enough hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate in their diets. Good nutrition is important for Star Wars fans.
1574623192433.png

Tom Morrow

The thing about the Star Wars fanbase, or at least the manchild sector of it, is that they were going to complain no matter what was made. No matter how good or bad Episode 9 is, they will complain. Even if the new trilogy had done everything they wanted (nothing but comforting nostalgia instead of only partially that), they would have complained that it wasn't different enough. The new trilogy addresses and fixes everything awful about the prequels and makes Star Wars fun again instead of laughably awful. So the natural response from the manchildren is to cry about political correctness and suddenly decry that the prequels have secretly been cinematic masterpieces all along.

Disney could have made SWGE a "Greatest Hits" land like WWoHP is for Potter. They could have settled on Tattooine as the planet. But then the very same nerds who are pushing this false narrative that the land is a ghost town because everyone hates it would be doing the same because Disney just decided to rest on nostalgia and not take any risks. "You promised us an ultra-immersive land! Why is Obi Wan walking alongside Rey??" "Oh yay, Tattooine, of course you chose the most cliche' planet. It sure would have been nice to experience other words and expand the universe beyond what we already know." "Oh yay, we're piloting the Falcon to blow up the Death Star. Couldn't we go on an original mission?"

Nothing would have satisfied. Nothing. So I'm glad Disney flexed their world building and storytelling muscles and took a calculated risk to give us a new world to explore that is both familiar and foreign at the same time.

And just to be clear, I do not think the land is perfect. It needs more seating areas to sit and take in the atmosphere. It needs live performances and a livelier atmosphere overall. And yes, I do agree that the timeframe it takes place in could be made a little more vague. These are easy fixes though that we will likely see.

Mickeyboof

The thing about the Star Wars fanbase, or at least the manchild sector of it, is that they were going to complain no matter what was made. No matter how good or bad Episode 9 is, they will complain. Even if the new trilogy had done everything they wanted (nothing but comforting nostalgia instead of only partially that), they would have complained that it wasn't different enough. The new trilogy addresses and fixes everything awful about the prequels and makes Star Wars fun again instead of laughably awful. So the natural response from the manchildren is to cry about political correctness and suddenly decry that the prequels have secretly been cinematic masterpieces all along.

Disney could have made SWGE a "Greatest Hits" land like WWoHP is for Potter. They could have settled on Tattooine as the planet. But then the very same nerds who are pushing this false narrative that the land is a ghost town because everyone hates it would be doing the same because Disney just decided to rest on nostalgia and not take any risks. "You promised us an ultra-immersive land! Why is Obi Wan walking alongside Rey??" "Oh yay, Tattooine, of course you chose the most cliche' planet. It sure would have been nice to experience other words and expand the universe beyond what we already know." "Oh yay, we're piloting the Falcon to blow up the Death Star. Couldn't we go on an original mission?"

Nothing would have satisfied. Nothing. So I'm glad Disney flexed their world building and storytelling muscles and took a calculated risk to give us a new world to explore that is both familiar and foreign at the same time.

And just to be clear, I do not think the land is perfect. It needs more seating areas to sit and take in the atmosphere. It needs live performances and a livelier atmosphere overall. And yes, I do agree that the timeframe it takes place in could be made a little more vague. These are easy fixes though that we will likely see.

You’re so butthurt that people don’t really like this land. Did you pay for it?

erasure fan1

You might be right with episode 9 because for a lot of people, the damage was done in ep8. So even for me, the sequel trilogy will always be a missed opportunity. But to say the man children will never be happy actually is false. We've seen an overwhelmingly positive response to the Mandalorian, from ALL fans. Even the man children. And I agree with you about them building Batuu, but I don't agree that they "flexed their storytelling mucles". I think its really the opposite. Sure they created an unbelievably themed area. But flexing their story telling muscle would have been to incorporate the star wars universe as a whole, while keeping the time frame they wanted. And not just, hey there's a helmet from the prequels hanging on the wall.

Tom Morrow

You might be right with episode 9 because for a lot of people, the damage was done in ep8. So even for me, the sequel trilogy will always be a missed opportunity. But to say the man children will never be happy actually is false. We've seen an overwhelmingly positive response to the Mandalorian, from ALL fans. Even the man children. And I agree with you about them building Batuu, but I don't agree that they "flexed their storytelling mucles". I think its really the opposite. Sure they created an unbelievably themed area. But flexing their story telling muscle would have been to incorporate the star wars universe as a whole, while keeping the time frame they wanted. And not just, hey there's a helmet from the prequels hanging on the wall.
I've seen complaints of the Mandalorian being fanservice-y and such. I don't know, I haven't watched it myself yet.

RobWDW1971

And I would add Rogue One as well - both that film and Mandalorian show that when the brand is executed properly audiences will respond and there isn’t a predisposed desire to dislike the product (oh, and Rogue One has an engaging female lead which apparently is a concern for some here).

But this is a thread about SWGE, so I’d be interested in those so (oddly personally) upset about the land’s poor, tepid audience response and broad criticism to clarify that:

A) They WANT the land to have no wandering aliens, droids, creatures, bounty hunters, Jedi, open uses of the Force, iconic music, light saber fights, etc

B) They WANT the land to ONLY have this very limited number of characters forever and all past and future characters should be forever banned from the land.

I don’t hear many people passionately argue for those two positions and so, vitriol aside, it sounds like there is more agreement than disagreement on the topic.

I would also think if you stood in the parks and asked every guest those two questions you’d get an overwhelming response that is in fact not what they want. But yet, here we are.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

And I would add Rogue One as well - both that film and Mandalorian show that when the brand is executed properly audiences will respond and there isn’t a predisposed desire to dislike the product (oh, and Rogue One has an engaging female lead which apparently is a concern for some here).

But this is a thread about SWGE, so I’d be interested in those so (oddly personally) upset about the poor, tepid audience response and broad criticism about the land to clarify that:

A) They WANT the land to have no wandering aliens, droids, creatures, bounty hunters, Jedi, open uses of the Force, iconic music, light saber fights, etc

B). They WANT the land to ONLY have this very limited number of characters forever and all past and future characters should be forever banned from the land.

I don’t hear many people passionately argue for those two positions and so, vitriol aside, it sounds like there is more agreement than disagreement on the topic.
I've never said either of these things and I don't think anyone else has either. That would be ridiculous. All of us have pointed out criticisms. We're merely pointing out that there's a difference between valid criticism and "the land is so bad that being there will make you wish for death".

Also, wow, we agree - Rogue One is my favorite of the new Star Wars films and shows their best understanding of the franchise thus far.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

The thing about the Star Wars fanbase, or at least the manchild sector of it, is that they were going to complain no matter what was made.

The Mandalorian disproves this. And please stop calling people who dont like what you like names. It makes you easier to dismiss if you're trying to be taken seriously.

But then the very same nerds

As apposed to the cool Star Wars fans...?

Communicora

Premium Member

I agree with you on this. I think they tried this because they thought it had the best chance of satisfying that segment of the fanbase, while still leaving room for the new films.

For me, there are a lot of things I like about GE conceptually, but some entertainment and a flexible timeline would add to my enjoyment.

doctornick

Same reason we don't freak out when we don't see actual pixies flying about Fantasyland.

Did you think CMs were going to sit for three hours worth of applied prosthetics like the actors in the movies?

I think there is a real compromise to be had. I forget who mentioned it (maybe @Kman101 I think) but the best idea I heard about "Walk around" characters is this: a band. Have a band perform a few times a day a la the entertainment in the World Showcase. One or two members in the band should be dressed as aliens. Since they are performers and paid like it, having them done up in more complex outfits can work and be part of their act. And because they are a band, you don't run into the issue of people having to use them as a M&G (surely people will take photos, but more from afar not going right up to them).

On top of that, they can play music from the movies that some people argue should be played, but it can be done in theme as a band in a marketplace.

Solves so many complaints all at once. It would be great.

Not that there also can't be some AA droids or aliens as well, but I think that would be the best bet for live characters to "plus" the area and add some more "life" and activity.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

People do like this land. A small percentage, the manchildren, do not. Y'all are pushing a false narrative for some ulterior motive.

My ulterior motive is, as a paying customer, I demand quality and ACCOUNTABILITY from the company I am handing over cash to.

Why would any of us creative a false narrative...? What would I gain from that? Actually answer that for me. Logically.

It’s not a small percentage. It’s a large percentage. Disney installed a digital queue that was used for a few hours one day. They over built hotels to handle the crowds. They changed the dang roads to handle an influx in crowds!!! Operating hours were extended to the wee hours of the morning, but the crowds were light. Hotels were majorly discounted- chase, passholders, residents... it was shocking! Over in California they built a parking structure, increased ticket sales, widened almost every pathway... they spent MILLIONS on infrastructure... but few came. They fired executives and slashed entertainment. They shoved Galaxy’s Edge into every square inch of their owned television channels in a last minute attempt to change the course.

But word of mouth has more power than propaganda. Word of mouth stung this time.

So, no, it’s not a small portion babe.

Last edited:

doctornick

Yes. It's called placemaking and storytelling.

Personally, the fact that the land is in a specific timeframe and place is a huge selling point for it. In an ideal world, I'd like to see the "concerns" about the lack of OT representation to be addressed... with a second land that is set in that timeframe. But I don't see that happening any time soon. Or ever.

I do think it is a very odd missed opportunity to not use R2-D2 or C-3PO in the land though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom