Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mickeyboof

Yeah, whatever happened to that guy?

Answer - he was asked nicely to stop talking.

I'm still here. Just keeping my promises to my friends.

My thoughts are very much in line with what everyone else has shared. I've been to GE (both coasts) a few times. Been up to the destroyer once even (just the hanger bay unfortunately). It's a shame that things couldn't have worked out the way they should've been. A lot of what if scenario's would've made things better. What if the streetmosphere's budget hadn't been slashed? What if Alcatraz hadn't fallen behind? What if the attention that was pulled from Alcatraz to accelerate the opening of Batuu had been kept on task? What if the decision of leave the random ride profiles of the Falcon had been left in?

I certainly understand the majority of complaints. While the Falcon is an E-ticket in every sense, if you go back to my very first words about this attraction - I made the comparison to the Hogwarts Express experience. This was very, very intentional. To some, the Hogwarts Express is nothing more than a train with a screen on it that happens to take you to another park. For a fan of that universe, it is a fantastic case of wish fulfillment. This is very much the underlying issue with the Falcon, minus the delivery of being an actual source of transportation. Do I think the current state of the Falcon achieves the same level or immersion that the Hogwarts Express does - no. The bar to hit that is simply too high to achieve. The practicality of having a functioning theme park attraction that needs to serve thousands of guests per hour doesn't make it easy for a ship the size of the Falcon to accommodate everyone. Rampgate is the least of the concerns. With what limitations they had to work around, the execution of what was accomplished is still astonishing. I've been on the ride with people who have been on several of the actual Falcon sets and they were all still impressed by what the ride accomplishes. At the end of the day, it's still a motion simulator and that is the best way to accomplish the job; but, - it was never going to be the headliner that the land needs.

Rise will be.

When it opens, the tide should turn. It's going to be a great attraction; but, I am worried that some may not heed the caution about the "ride" part. My earliest words on this project was that it was going to blur the lines of "where does the attraction actually begin" and this is very, very true of Alcatraz. If you believe the Haunted Mansion starts the moment you enter the doors (which it does) and not the moment you enter the Doombuggies then you have the right frame of mind for how exceptional this attraction will be. I'm not one that believes that MK's Pirates queue compensates for the deficits of it's peers (it doesn't); but, if you are going into Rise with the thought the attraction is only the part in the troop transport - you are making a mistake. While the part in motion will be spectacular, to limit your mindset to just the last act of the experience is setting you up for disappointment as the entire experience needs to be viewed as a whole.
Much like Galaxy's Edge.

None of us, up until a very few select few that have been on RotR, have been able to experience the big picture yet. Even those aren't getting what was originally planned with the droids, beasts of burden, drones, etc.

Still, the picture will get a lot clearer in the next few days.

I can't wait to complete my journey when I head back down to Batuu for the opening.

*BTW - if they add background music in the land, it will make a lot of the problems go away. Potter lands without the underlying score would suffer the same penalty.

... I sincerely hope that new ride profiles for falcon are still in the works... because I ain’t chasing that coaxium train for the next decade. Hondo can just do it himself at that point. (Although he practically does as he flies next to us in another ship)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
*BTW - if they add background music in the land, it will make a lot of the problems go away. Potter lands without the underlying score would suffer the same penalty.

Not really. Potter is a lot more whimsical and still knows it’s just a land in a theme park so the endless looping background score fits. GE on the other hand is supposed to be the real deal so it would stick out like a sore thumb. That’s why the only times you get to hear a music score are during dramatic moments like near the entrances, in the lightsaber shop, Kylo’s entrance and in the rides. The rest is for ambiance and world building . I think it works but I wouldn’t be opposed of expanding some score to certain areas. Just not the lazy background music loop some want.

Darth Snips

My thoughts are very much in line with what everyone else has shared. I've been to GE (both coasts) a few times. Been up to the destroyer once even (just the hanger bay unfortunately). It's a shame that things couldn't have worked out the way they should've been. A lot of what if scenario's would've made things better. What if the streetmosphere's budget hadn't been slashed? What if Alcatraz hadn't fallen behind? What if the attention that was pulled from Alcatraz to accelerate the opening of Batuu had been kept on task? What if the decision of leave the random ride profiles of the Falcon had been left in?

I certainly understand the majority of complaints. While the Falcon is an E-ticket in every sense, if you go back to my very first words about this attraction - I made the comparison to the Hogwarts Express experience. This was very, very intentional. To some, the Hogwarts Express is nothing more than a train with a screen on it that happens to take you to another park. For a fan of that universe, it is a fantastic case of wish fulfillment. This is very much the underlying issue with the Falcon, minus the delivery of being an actual source of transportation. Do I think the current state of the Falcon achieves the same level or immersion that the Hogwarts Express does - no. The bar to hit that is simply too high to achieve. The practicality of having a functioning theme park attraction that needs to serve thousands of guests per hour doesn't make it easy for a ship the size of the Falcon to accommodate everyone. Rampgate is the least of the concerns. With what limitations they had to work around, the execution of what was accomplished is still astonishing. I've been on the ride with people who have been on several of the actual Falcon sets and they were all still impressed by what the ride accomplishes. At the end of the day, it's still a motion simulator and that is the best way to accomplish the job; but, - it was never going to be the headliner that the land needs.

Rise will be.

When it opens, the tide should turn. It's going to be a great attraction; but, I am worried that some may not heed the caution about the "ride" part. My earliest words on this project was that it was going to blur the lines of "where does the attraction actually begin" and this is very, very true of Alcatraz. If you believe the Haunted Mansion starts the moment you enter the doors (which it does) and not the moment you enter the Doombuggies then you have the right frame of mind for how exceptional this attraction will be. I'm not one that believes that MK's Pirates queue compensates for the deficits of it's peers (it doesn't); but, if you are going into Rise with the thought the attraction is only the part in the troop transport - you are making a mistake. While the part in motion will be spectacular, to limit your mindset to just the last act of the experience is setting you up for disappointment as the entire experience needs to be viewed as a whole.
Much like Galaxy's Edge.

None of us, up until a very few select few that have been on RotR, have been able to experience the big picture yet. Even those aren't getting what was originally planned with the droids, beasts of burden, drones, etc.

I can't wait to complete my journey when I head back down to Batuu for the opening.

Thanks for replying! Glad to hear you still hang around here. I know you can't really share info anymore, but thanks for all the teases and hints you dropped while you were allowed. I remember your posts were some of the most exciting things to read about Star Wars Land in the earlier days.

Aside from the music, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Now that I've ridden it, I definitely agree with your Hogwarts Express analogy for Smugglers Run: while not a mind-blowing attraction by any means, it is infectiously fun and a fan's dream come true. That really is a solid comparison.

I hope you had fun on your trips to Batuu, and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on RotR once it's open. 'Til the spire!

ToTBellHop

Rise will be.

Much like Galaxy's Edge.

That’s a fantastic analogy. As a Potter fan, I view Gringott’s as starting the moment I enter the bank. The overall experience is wonderful even if the ride itself is not perfect. In some ways, Disney could have never provided Star Wars fans the same experience Universal could give Potter fans as there are no individual locations with layers of development across multiple films. So they chose, instead, to invent an entirely new world from the ground up. I don’t think they get enough credit for just how impressive that is. Given the lack of over-saturation with the IP, it’s actually more similar to the lands built in the 20th century that we adore. No one complains that locations in Frontierland or Harambe are not immediately identifiable. They were created by imaginative individuals and over decades became iconic for the parks, not for films. I imagine Batuu will one day rise to that level for most.

Darth Snips

That’s a fantastic analogy. As a Potter fan, I view Gringott’s as starting the moment I enter the bank. The overall experience is wonderful even if the ride itself is not perfect. In some ways, Disney could have never provided Star Wars fans the same experience Universal could give Potter fans as there are no individual locations with layers of development across multiple films. So they chose, instead, to invent an entirely new world from the ground up. I don’t think they get enough credit for just how impressive that is. Given the lack of over-saturation with the IP, it’s actually more similar to the lands built in the 20th century that we adore. No one complains that locations in Frontierland or Harambe are not immediately identifiable. They were created by imaginative individuals and over decades became iconic for the parks, not for films. I imagine Batuu will one day rise to that level for most.
YES! THANK YOU!

I have tried to make this argument multiple times on this site over the past few months, and almost every time I've been shot down. We complain so much about Disney playing it safe with the parks and only giving us IP-based lands. We constantly beg and plead for the Imagineers to create a unique, original environment exclusive to the parks. Well, that is exactly what Batuu is. The rides are still very movie-driven stories (the Falcon, Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, TIE fighters, etc.), but the land is a wholly new creation. For once, Disney gave us what we've been wanting: an all-new world with all new characters, stories, and experiences.

Vi Moradi, Dok Ondar, the TIE Eschelon, Oga's Cantina, DJ R3X, and the entirety of Black Spire Outpost are nothing more than the 21st Century version of things like Figment, the Ghost Host, the Columbia, Blue Bayou, Sonny Eclipse, and Harambe. They created all of these new items as original, Disney Parks stories. Isn't this the exact kind of creativity we've been waiting for?

I'm sorry for the rant; I just don't understand this mindset. There seems to be a huge "damned if you do, damned if you don't" element of this fanbase, and it just frustrates me. By the way, I don't mean to imply that anyone who dislikes the land or disagrees with me falls into this category. The land obviously isn't perfect, and it has some issues. I'm referring to specifically the folks who just complain that "it's not Tatooine", or that "Dok and Vi are stupid".

If our response to GE (its good elements AND its bad ones) is that "It needs more movie stuff" then we deserve exactly what Disney gives us.

Mike S

I know some here are against it but Tatooine is featured in both the Original and Prequel trilogies. They did have an iconic location from across multiple films, they just didn’t use it. It could’ve also been in the Sequel trilogy but instead they wanted to say pretty much the same environment is a whole different planet 🤷‍♂️

Mickeyboof

YES! THANK YOU!

I have tried to make this argument multiple times on this site over the past few months, and almost every time I've been shot down. We complain so much about Disney playing it safe with the parks and only giving us IP-based lands. We constantly beg and plead for the Imagineers to create a unique, original environment exclusive to the parks. Well, that is exactly what Batuu is. The rides are still very movie-driven stories (the Falcon, Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, TIE fighters, etc.), but the land is a wholly new creation. For once, Disney gave us what we've been wanting: an all-new world with all new characters, stories, and experiences.

Vi Moradi, Dok Ondar, the TIE Eschelon, Oga's Cantina, DJ R3X, and the entirety of Black Spire Outpost are nothing more than the 21st Century version of things like Figment, the Ghost Host, the Columbia, Blue Bayou, Sonny Eclipse, and Harambe. They created all of these new items as original, Disney Parks stories. Isn't this the exact kind of creativity we've been waiting for?

I'm sorry for the rant; I just don't understand this mindset. There seems to be a huge "damned if you do, damned if you don't" element of this fanbase, and it just frustrates me. By the way, I don't mean to imply that anyone who dislikes the land or disagrees with me falls into this category. The land obviously isn't perfect, and it has some issues. I'm referring to specifically the folks who just complain that "it's not Tatooine", or that "Dok and Vi are stupid".

If our response to GE (its good elements AND its bad ones) is that "It needs more movie stuff" then we deserve exactly what Disney gives us.

Eh, if Disney gave us what we want (a whole new world, creativity, originality), I’d be standing in a hot air ballon on my way from Fantasyland to Discovery Bay.

ToTBellHop

I know some here are against it but Tatooine is featured in both the Original and Prequel trilogies. They did have an iconic location from across multiple films, they just didn’t use it. It could’ve also been in the Sequel trilogy but instead they wanted to say pretty much the same environment is a whole different planet 🤷‍♂️
I find Batuu, with its gorgeous petrified trees, to be far more visually appealing than the depressing, monochromatic desert of Tatooine.

1574729698478.jpeg

1574729768393.jpeg

General Mayhem

Because there is not a MAJOR IP that those areas were hyped for when they were constructed for several years. Not to mention said IP is a mult-million dollar franchise that has an extremely devout fan base that has high expectations. Why does no one complain about those areas? Because they actually fulfill the expectations are meant to and in a lot cases exceed them. Galaxy's Edge is a failure to the fans, sorry.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Because there is not a MAJOR IP that those areas were hyped for when they were constructed for several years. Not to mention said IP is a mult-million dollar franchise that has an extremely devout fan base that has high expectations. Why does no one complain about those areas? Because they actually fulfill the expectations are meant to and in a lot cases exeed them. Galaxy's Edge is a failure to the fans, sorry.
A devout fan base that can’t agree on what it actually likes. Potter fans typically like the films and the books. Star Wars fans, at most, typically like about 4 hours of 20 hours worth of film. And they don’t agree on which 4 hours.

That’s why I’d add things like Jabba’s Palace and a Jawa sandcrawler.

Yes it is nice but to say they had no locations to use is disingenuous.
I just don’t think Tatooine is pretty enough for a $1 bn land. And it doesn’t solve any of the real problems with SWGE. Tatooine with MFSR, gross milk, no droids, no music, and sequel trilogy characters gets the same complaints.

sedati

A devout fan base that can’t agree on what it actually likes. Potter fans typically like the films and the books. Star Wars fans, at most, typically like about 4 hours of 20 hours worth of film. And they don’t agree on which 4 hours.

Oh, you mean "Star War" fans.

Anyway, who can keep up.

"Fans" who hated the prequels and wanted them ripped from George's hands.
"Fans" who hated the sequels and wanted them put into George's hands.
"Fans" who hated Ahsoka and said Anakin shouldn't have a padawan, especially some quippy Hanna Montana wannabe.
"Fans" who hope fan favorite Ahsoka will return.
"Fans" who bemoan whenever a new place or character is created when a similar one already exists in either the original trilogy or EU, but are fine with The Mandalorian doing this to the greatest extent thus far.

Mike S

Would you also be able to account for the daily summer thunderstorms on the desert planet?

Not to mention that our introduction to Tatooine is as it being literally the place Luke is trying to escape.
I think everyone is misunderstanding the point I was making. The person I quoted said there were no iconic locations to use from across multiple movies when there was: Tatooine. That’s all I was saying. Also people don’t seem to mind the snow in Hogsmeade when it’s hot in Florida so I don’t think people would mind the rain in Tatooine if that’s what was built.

I even said earlier Batuu is nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom