Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WDWFREAK53

Here are the two quotes I was able to dig up from the DL SW:GE thread that had the most credibility.

Now, I certainly couldn't tell you what motion like a bird means, but on the DL thread SWGalaxysEdge has appeared to be mostly accurate in the information provided.

I envision "like a bird" to be similar to Flight of Passage. Quick little drops that swoop rather than a free-fall.

Darth Snips

This will be especially disappointing if MF:SR will have the 40" height requirement that Star Tours does. Considering the vehicle motion of MF:SR should be similar to ST, I would consider this likely.
It'll definitely be interesting to see if they end up giving BOTH attractions 40" height requirements. Is there any precedent for a simulator with a height requirement lower than 40"? Maybe they'll keep the thrills low on MF:SR for the younger guests.

JediMasterMatt

I don’t think it’s either; just that the floor change won’t be like a drop tower.
There’s a “drop”, yes. But nothing like ToT. Just something to take the weight off your backside for a split second.

Analogy time: frog hopper>Alcatraz>>>ToT>Intamin giant drop>Larson drop towers

For those that haven't been on a frog hopper, think of this kind of like FoP's "drop" mechanism. Just enough to catch your tummy; but, not enough to get you or the RV out of control.

Here it is just used for the simulated initial thrust.

britain

As Bill Murray once said, "It's no big deal."

Goofyernmost

I think what he was saying is why would Disney exclude a large portion of people who could ride with a height requirement? If people are booking a very expensive vacation to go on the new fangled wiz-bang Star Wars ride with their family, and their kids can't ride, why bother going? This isn't to say a huge E-Ticket Star Wars roller coaster with inversions wouldn't be thrilling, it certainly would. It would just bar portions of its audience to ride, something I wouldn't see Disney doing without a lot of good reasoning behind it.
There was a time when almost all attractions had no height limit. Back when everything was a boat or an omni-mover. Then folks started complaining that there was nothing the causes your stomach to push up to your throat. So since so many people wanted a "thrill" more were designed to have a few stomach movers in the park. Now we have height limits. Listen it just isn't possible to have both at the same time.

Last edited:

sedati

Not sure how legit this is, but I think the info about using drones is new.

From 7-16-18
And here's a bit of wishful thinking: I know they can't fly drones over guest space, but those two show-buildings are massive and they do span the entire length of the land. What I'd like to see are drones that take off from one end of the Falcon building and land on the opposite end of the Alcatraz building. They'd be scaled down versions of Star Wars shuttles, freighters and fighters. Passing behind the spires would give a sense that they are actually big ships that are far away. Honestly, it's the one thing I thought Pandora was lacking- kinetics (they could take the same idea and do banshee drones, but the backdrop isn't quite as wide.) This would help make Black Spire seem like a real bustling spaceport.

Frontierland's Finest

Now I DO NOT trust ** but is their any truth to the galaxy edge article that was released today? Seems like it’s feasable goes a little like this “
The information comes to us from the ride’s warning sign which will be located outside of the entrance. It reads (apparently that is the warning sign outside of RotR):

Despite being in a trackless ride vehicle, guests will experience a drop towards the end of the attraction. The drop will reportedly simulate an escape pod blasting off, taking guests in their transports swiftly back down to the planet Batuu. We’re not talking about a drop the height of the Tower of Terror here, but at least most of the height of the fairly large show building that houses this ride.”

Height Requirement 40 in (seems low)

Side note: I’m gonna try and do this ride basically no matter what but...”swift drop” I’m not the biggest fan of a big drop but a little thrill will be fun I guess. I just don’t like large drops. So...any truth to this? Yes, I know it’s ** and they aren’t that great but...seems feasible

Wait...is News Today a banned word?
To be fair both Spider-Man and Transformers at Universal have a 40" height requirement and ROTR is said to be on the same level, but more themed to those attractions.

britain

Not gonna lie: if they end up doing what you suggest, it could be one of the coolest effects I've ever seen in a theme park. Can you imagine? TIE fighters, X-wings, shuttles, even star destroyers flying over the mountain range, complete with sound effects! That sounds amazing!

I wonder how audible the buzzing would be? That could spoil the effect.

TiggerDad

Now, I certainly couldn't tell you what motion like a bird means, but on the DL thread SWGalaxysEdge has appeared to be mostly accurate in the information provided.
I envision "like a bird" to be similar to Flight of Passage. Quick little drops that swoop rather than a free-fall.
The reference to "like bird" is to the Millennium Falcon ride, code name Big Bird. He was saying the motion in both rides will be similar in effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom