Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

drod1985

I'm sure the buildings that are in sight lines will be pretty minimal, they won't impact your sense of immersion any more than literally everybody else around you wearing normal street clothes and pushing strollers.

Seeing the Slinky Dog Dash coasters could be goofy, but plain buildings off in the distance? Meh.

Notes from Neverland

Question for @marni1971 - Now that it has been discovered to be more of an issue than previously expected (something I personally can give them a pass on), are they going to do anything about it? Inaction upon a "new" discovery is where I'd have a complaint.

JediMasterMatt

Yes, don’t worry. Leave that to the people who didn’t think it would be an issue, and are now realising it’s even worse than they expected.

It's almost like it wasn't designed with DHS in mind... or re-re-engineered to fit on LMA's plot of land.

This aerial video is from Disneyland, but it's very recent and shows the interior of the land very well. Just consider this is what the DHS version will look like a few months from now. And is it me, or does this land have lots of narrow walkways and little dead ends to it? How will that work with the huge crowds who will pack into this land daily on both coasts???

One of the guiding inspirations for Scott's team was New Orleans Square; but, set in the SW universe. People per square inch is going to be a real problem for both coasts. Crowd flow will be a problem as the design is intended for guests to get lost in the nooks and crannies that the space village creates. It will be a challenge for operations. There is no doubt about that. Such is the ever growing divide between real world theme park operations versus the design teams aspirations for immersion. See Hogsmede and Diagon Alley as examples. Cars Land gets away with it by double lane roadways and a straight shot down Route 66 being an established part of the world they were able to recreate.

britain

It's almost like it wasn't designed with DHS in mind... or re-re-engineered to fit on LMA's plot of land.

One of the guiding inspirations for Scott's team was New Orleans Square; but, set in the SW universe. People per square inch is going to be a real problem for both coasts. Crowd flow will be a problem as the design is intended for guests to get lost in the nooks and crannies that the space village creates. It will be a challenge for operations. There is no doubt about that. Such is the ever growing divide between real world theme park operations versus the design teams aspirations for immersion. See Hogsmede and Diagon Alley as examples. Cars Land gets away with it by double lane roadways and a straight shot down Route 66 being an established part of the world they were able to recreate.

Well, better to build it right (crooked alleys with character) and have a few years of nightmarish crowds, but well-designed spaces for decades to come, than to build it super-sized and have it feel too darn wide and 'lawyered' in the future.

TP2000

Heh, heh... :cool: I was lambasted for saying this a year or two ago, but I always knew that MuppetVision building wasn't supposed to be that close to the new land. I'm forever interested in how they do things differently between the coasts on cloned projects, and this one is going to be really interesting on the Rise Of The Resistance side of the land especially. The Toy Story Land side could also get intriguing.

One of the guiding inspirations for Scott's team was New Orleans Square; but, set in the SW universe. People per square inch is going to be a real problem for both coasts. Crowd flow will be a problem as the design is intended for guests to get lost in the nooks and crannies that the space village creates. It will be a challenge for operations.

They used Disneyland's New Orleans Square as inspiration??? Uh-oh.

That place is a madhouse of crowds and nearly impossible to navigate on even moderately busy days.

IMG_1320.jpg

New Orleans Square has two massive and ultra-popular E Tickets on each side of the land, with a dense neighborhood of alleys and small shops and restaurants inbetween the two E Tickets. And it can be a nightmare to get through on busy days. And so the Imagineers were "inspired" to recreate this operational concept again with Star Wars Land??? The mind boggles with how out of touch and clueless these Imagineers seem to be...

yensidtlaw1969

New Orleans Square has two massive and ultra-popular E Tickets on each side of the land, with a dense neighborhood of alleys and small shops and restaurants inbetween the two E Tickets. And it can be a nightmare to get through on busy days. And so the Imagineers were "inspired" to recreate this operational concept again with Star Wars Land??? The mind boggles with how out of touch and clueless these Imagineers seem to be...

For all the crowding it suffers, little of which is the fault of the land itself, New Orleans Square can easily be argued as the crown jewel of Disneyland Lands. It’s a masterful creative success - a great role model for design development, if taken the right way. Most of the negatives you describe above are results of the operation of the park around it. When the land was fresh in the 70’s these issues didn’t exist.

That it’s two E-Tickets, each a half-century old or nearly, will both have better capacity than the Star Wars rides is indeed mind boggling. Part of what I mean about taking inspiration in the right ways.

matt9112

I'm sure the buildings that are in sight lines will be pretty minimal, they won't impact your sense of immersion any more than literally everybody else around you wearing normal street clothes and pushing strollers.

Seeing the Slinky Dog Dash coasters could be goofy, but plain buildings off in the distance? Meh.

good idea ban strollers inside GE i think we can all gst behind that right ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom