Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

It’s a staging area? This will be one of the last areas to be dressed up with light landscaping since it won’t be a guest area.

Since that's the potential expansion site for the land, is there any change they build an empty show building and then "bury it" with dirt and trees for the berm? If they fill in a big berm, wouldn't that make it tough to later develop the footprint (especially in the middle of a busy theme park)?

Goofyernmost

Since that's the potential expansion site for the land, is there any change they build an empty show building and then "bury it" with dirt and trees for the berm? If they fill in a big berm, wouldn't that make it tough to later develop the footprint (especially in the middle of a busy theme park)?
Not as long as there are backhoes and bulldozers in the world. It would be much easier then gently trying to cut out an existing building.

Lensman

Anyone know why this side of the berm looks like one giant mess?...

View attachment 305482
The first thing I thought of was gunpowder:
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.07.54 PM.png

I don't see any giant diamonds, though...

sedati

Looking at today's new batch of aerials, this courtyard caught my eye:
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.14.42 PM.png

And here it is on the model (pic from Slashfilm)
1534983700459.png

Not super exciting, but a detail I hadn't noticed before.

I'm hoping this land will manage some tucked away areas meant to be discovered like the Fez House in the Morocco Pavilion.

As a life long Star Wars fan I really cannot wait to be fully immersed in the universe. I am just concerned that the two rides will not live up to expectations and let down what looks to be an incredibly detailed land filled with unique experiences.

Goofyernmost

As a life long Star Wars fan I really cannot wait to be fully immersed in the universe. I am just concerned that the two rides will not live up to expectations and let down what looks to be an incredibly detailed land filled with unique experiences.
Any degree of exposure is calculated by the sum of it's parts. I'm not sure, based on what has been revealed to this point that any of it can be a let down, unless you expect to encounter actual, real, not actors, aliens. Then you might have your expectations just a tad high.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, however, my only anger and disappointment comes from the fact that they waited until I was to old to possibly even get to experience it. Now that is a let down.

Any degree of exposure is calculated by the sum of it's parts. I'm not sure, based on what has been revealed to this point that any of it can be a let down, unless you expect to encounter actual, real, not actors, aliens. Then you might have your expectations just a tad high.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, however, my only anger and disappointment comes from the fact that they waited until I was to old to possibly even get to experience it. Now that is a let down.

I bet Disney would hike up ticket prices if they promised real life aliens walking around the land! In all honesty I would be happy to just have a few actors in makeup, droids doing the rounds an interacting with people. As for the rides I hope that we will get more info at D23 next year but as that is due to happen a few weeks before the rumored disneyland galaxys edge opening we may have to wait and see.

phi2134

This is a long shot and could be a stretch, but set photos from Episode IX leaked today and they show the Millennium Falcon on a forest planet. Could this be the outskirts of Black Spire Outpost, meaning Batuu gets its debut in Episode IX? Or we could be visiting Endor again. Here is a link to the pictures courtesy of Making Star Wars.
That looks more jungle like than forest.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Looking at today's new batch of aerials, this courtyard caught my eye:View attachment 305498
And here it is on the model (pic from Slashfilm)
View attachment 305504
Not super exciting, but a detail I hadn't noticed before.

I'm hoping this land will manage some tucked away areas meant to be discovered like the Fez House in the Morocco Pavilion.

Not just the tucked away areas - I'm looking forward to all of the atmospherics. I can't imagine the shuttle now at the construction site will just sit there. I expect a good deal of lighting, sound-effects and even smoke effects to cycle on and off there and throughout the land. Hopefully they don't go with a piped-in soundtrack and instead go with original music like you would expect to hear in an outdoor market. Have the soundtrack a mixture of that, and other Star Wars effects.

drod1985

I'm looking forward to all of the atmospherics... I expect a good deal of lighting, sound-effects and even smoke effects to cycle on and off there and throughout the land.

Ditto, this is super exciting. Imagine surround sound style effects like hearing the sound of a droid pass by your right side, then behind you and off into the distance? Drones dressed up as droids flying overhead to pre-determined launch and landing points, helping the environment feel alive. Little womp rats scurrying across power lines like in the beginning of Solo.

IIRC there was speculation that roaming droids might/would be getting cut from the land. I really hope that's not the case. I want to see droids and some simple aliens mixed in with the crowds. I want to feel like I'm in Mos Eisley or Jedha City.

solidyne

Not just the tucked away areas - I'm looking forward to all of the atmospherics. I can't imagine the shuttle now at the construction site will just sit there. I expect a good deal of lighting, sound-effects and even smoke effects to cycle on and off there and throughout the land. Hopefully they don't go with a piped-in soundtrack and instead go with original music like you would expect to hear in an outdoor market. Have the soundtrack a mixture of that, and other Star Wars effects.
Ditto, this is super exciting. Imagine surround sound style effects like hearing the sound of a droid pass by your right side, then behind you and off into the distance? Drones dressed up as droids flying overhead to pre-determined launch and landing points, helping the environment feel alive. Little womp rats scurrying across power lines like in the beginning of Solo.

IIRC there was speculation that roaming droids might/would be getting cut from the land. I really hope that's not the case. I want to see droids and some simple aliens mixed in with the crowds. I want to feel like I'm in Mos Eisley or Jedha City.
Sounds awesome! Ain't gonna happen.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Don't expect any drones flying overhead anytime soon. You just won't have a drone flying in the area of guest areas. It would be cool though.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I believe Disney has been collecting waivers in this direction.

Edit: Yeah - they got their Part 107 waiver in 2016 and will need to reapply in 2020. I know they obtained waivers for both 107.29 (Daylight Operation) and 107.35 (Operation of Multiple Unmanned Aircraft). Not sure if they are going after 107.39. That's the one they need to have drones act in a more interactive fashion.

Here are the exemptions within Part 107 that can be waived:

Waivable sections of part 107:
  • Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft (§ 107.25) *
  • Daylight operation (§ 107.29)
  • Visual line of sight aircraft operation (§ 107.31) *
  • Visual observer (§ 107.33)
  • Operation of multiple small unmanned aircraft systems (§ 107.35)
  • Yielding the right of way (§ 107.37(a))
  • Operation over people (§ 107.39)
  • Operation in certain airspace (§ 107.41)
  • Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft (§ 107.51)

Last edited:

TP2000

I've brought this up on the Anaheim board and been shot down, but I am really curious about this element circled in red from Bioreconstruct's latest update:
View attachment 304546
The configuration is different here than in California and seems like the rockwork that will go on this steel will be nearly impossible to see.
Why this interests me is that there is rockwork going on both sides of this. In California it was suggested this was to dress up the backside as it's visible from the street, but this is being done no where else- there is plenty of unfinished/naked steel. In Florida, that area of the parking lot is rumored to be cast only.
My theory was that there would be overflow queue in the rather large space behind there. I honestly expect the Falcon ride as well will have some sort of lightly themed switchback area tucked around the showbuilding.
Right now I find the area a curiosity, and an odd bit excess spending on what may not be seen on stage.

I've noticed that difference too, but I think it has more to do with the placement in DHS of Battle Escape and the land's entrance being pushed up right smack against the backside of MuppetVision. The same rockwork cliff exists in California, but it extends out on a straight line from this same corner of the Battle Escape building, but at DHS the same rockwork makes a 90 degree turn almost immediately after it leaves the building.

Here are crude photos I created to demonstrate. The boarding turntable is marked in BLUE for both ride buildings, the same rockwork cliff is marked in RED on both coasts, and the land entry points are the YELLOW arrows to serve as a point of reference. Hope this helps!

DHS Star Wars Land - Cliffs make a 90 degree turn almost immediately
InkedDHS Rockwork_LI.jpg

Disneyland Star Wars Land - Cliffs extend straight out.
Disneyland Rockwork2.jpg

Last edited:

Mike S

I've noticed that difference too, but I think it has more to do with the placement in DHS of Battle Escape and the land's entrance being pushed up right smack against the backside of MuppeteVision. The same rockwork cliff exists in California, but it extends out on a straight line from this same corner of the Battle Escape building, but at DHS the same rockwork makes a 90 degree turn almost immediately after it leaves the building.

Here are crude photos I created to demonstrate. The boarding turntable is marked in BLUE for both ride buildings, the same rockwork cliff is marked in RED on both coasts, and the land entry points are the YELLOW arrows to serve as a point of reference. Hope this helps!

DHS Star Wars Land - Cliffs make a 90 degree turn almost immediately
View attachment 306111

Disneyland Star Wars Land - Cliffs extend straight out.
View attachment 306117
For some reason this comparison is the best I’ve seen yet for showing the give and take differences between both lands. The entrance is different sure, but the lack of the river also gives more space equaling out whatever was lost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom