Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Boek68

Ride length has no direct connection to ride capacity

100% correct. I once had a week-long debate with my boss over the math behind adding track length to a particular ride we had and how that wouldn't add "capacity". More people might be on the ride at a time but that doesn't mean they are getting on any faster.

Ride capacity is directly related dispatch interval.

Not to say there aren't valid reasons to make a ride longer and more enjoyable. Just don't expect the pph to increase if the dispatch interval is already maxed out.

britain

100% correct. I once had a week-long debate with my boss over the math behind adding track length to a particular ride we had and how that wouldn't add "capacity". More people might be on the ride at a time but that doesn't mean they are getting on any faster.

Not to say there aren't valid reasons to make a ride longer and more enjoyable. Just don't expect the pph to increase if the dispatch interval is already maxed out.

True, but the more enjoyable (a subjective term, to be sure) the on-ride experience is, the more 'worth it' a long line might be. Making a ride longer could theoretically make a low capacity ride worth it. Of course, making it too long, and you risk putting guests into Universe of Energy territory. (Which I didn't mind, but short attention span folks didn't.)

nickys

Premium Member
Are they giving any thought to limiting how many FPs an individual can book for the new SW rides over a period of time? I keep hearing some people saying they've ridden FOP 20 times, 50 times, etc. If you limit them to 2-3 times per year using a FP, it would free up a lot of capacity for new people to experience the new rides. With a limited capacity, why should one person get to ride it 20 times, versus letting 20 different people ride?

For the lifestylers who spend every day in the parks, flame away.

Well that would limit how long and often people would visit and stay. If you go 3 times a year, but you can't book a ride more than 3 times, what's the incentive to squeeze in another short break?

Or if us UKers stay for 2 weeks but they won't let us repeat rides, why would we bother? We might as well head to Universal for a week. Or why do the deal 14 days for the price of 7, or even better 21 days for the price of 14? They're not going to encourage us to buy the longer tickets by stopping us booking whatever FPs we want.

Your limit is the length of ticket you are prepared to buy. That seems fair enough IMO.

And why buy an AP if you can only ride FoP or the Millenium Falcon 3 times. Florida residents have their own AP rate for a reason - they can go every weekend if they want. They limit them as to how many days worth of FPs they can book per month already.

EricsBiscuit

Maybe what he was thinking was that the ride would hold more people at one time? I don't know the circumstances but that could be what he might have been trying to say.

JediMasterMatt

Quality and preceived value though drops with long wait times.

I know, as it is the RVs they have and the show timing / layout is quite creative, but Alcatraz could have easily (relatively speaking) been designed to handle more. If I recall the ride has eight blocks to use a coaster terminology. A GC Way less than 2000 / hour in 2019 is quite the poor show for what should otherwise be a world class attraction. Or have standards and the bar dropped?

I'm right there with you; but, looking at the barometer of recent E's, Shanghai Pirates is the exception instead of the norm unfortunately.

In the industry, 1600pph is on the high end of a great capacity thrill ride with 1200pph being closer to the norm. Of course, the "industry" includes the Six Flags/Cedar Fairs/independents and that isn't what a Disney Parks quality attraction should strive for as their operational needs aren't the same as the rest.

With Alcatraz and the Edge in general, the real limiting factor in the design was the space constraints in Anaheim. Budget didn't really drive the design as evidenced in the time it took in the various revisions to get it to the build state. *w/the exception of the beastly transport; but, I'll circle back to that below.

Since physical space was at a premium, the choices in Alcatraz were probably the right ones. It didn't need to be show on dual floors; but, they are making use of the extra vertical space needed for the destroyer's docking bay and walkers (Star Wars's general aesthetic has always featured scale). I think the case can be made that if the footprint for say the docking bay would've been repurposed for another block zone - the impact of the ride would've been diminished as arguably the transition from Batuu>transport>destroyer is going to be one of the biggest wow moments Parks has ever had.

All things considered, 1600pph isn't perfect; but, I'll take it over most of the last decades new attractions. That's how low things have sunk.

Cut due to budgets?

Just a reminder that money up front isn't always the determining factor. Once you make your bed (and pay for it), you have to lay in it (and continue to pay for it forever). Many of the choices that get made around TDO tie into the long term costs of staffing and maintenance. That's why unfortunately so many additions to WDW come at the behest of subtraction.

Ride length has no direct connection to ride capacity

Just a slight addendum to the capacity/number of RVs/ride length discussion: while it is true that longer rides with more people on the circuit don't necessarily yield more hourly capacity - having more guests on a ride at a given time and for longer durations do have impact to two aspects of operational capacity.

Hourly capacity is always the number of guests that "sort of embark" and disembark in 60 minutes.

More guests "on circuit" that have embarked at any given time does impact total capacity for the day (assuming that queue lines aren't closed in advance of the posted park closing time and assuming the ride holds a line for the entire day). So, if let's say DL's Pirates had a full queue all day and then the parks closes. The guests that may have loaded just prior to closing carry over to the next hour and so forth. A short, low guest count per RV and limited number of RVs ride like Pan doesn't benefit from having as many guests that have loaded when the queue is empty as something that is longer and holds more RVs with more guests. So, more guests on circuit at a time (longer rides and/or bigger RVs) does mean more guests per day (than shorter rides and/or smaller RVs).

Of course, this is with the assumption that the lines stay open until closing time and they still hold a queue. Of course you can always discourage people from jumping in a long line just prior to closing - like say those 200 minute waits in Pandora that for some reason always seem to clear the park out within an hour or so where they artificially inflate the wait times.

The other benefit that longer rides with more guests on circuit at a time have for operations is that means less people elsewhere in your park, which is really the biggest problem in Orlando these days. FastPass+ dumped a large percentage of people out of the queues and into the streets and if the trend of low capacity rides with low capacity guest's on circuit continue - the problem will just continue to get worse.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Should have used the land for TSL for one big land......
I actually agree with the TsL theme. But I don't like the execution. I think if you added the woody attraction from SDL to opposite buzz it would have been nice. Along with more detail to SDD and the little western area. Upgrade the QSR to make it larger and throw in a character meal somewhere and now we're talking. Anyway, they still have plenty of space for SWL to expand. And, in sure they will expand it after some other projects wrap up.

FigmentJedi

Panel description from the GPU tech conference in a few days about the Falcon ride's game engine.

https://2018gputechconf.smarteventscloud.com/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=152912

Walt Disney Imagineering strives to create amazing guest experiences at Disney Parks worldwide. Partnering with Nvidia and Epic Games, Imagineering has developed new technology to drive one of the key attractions at the upcoming Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening in Disneyland Resort, CA and Disney's Hollywood Studios, FL. Come learn more about how we took advantage of the newest in Nvidia hardware and the technical modifications that we made for the Unreal Engine which will allow 8 GPUs to render at unprecedented quality and speed.

trainplane3

Panel description from the GPU tech conference in a few days about the Falcon ride's game engine.
Come learn more about how we took advantage of the newest in Nvidia hardware and the technical modifications that we made for the Unreal Engine which will allow 8 GPUs to render at unprecedented quality and speed.
https://2018gputechconf.smarteventscloud.com/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=152912
As someone with SLI (2 980's), hearing that scares me. The wonderfully random instability you get occasionally and the painful troubleshooting you need to carry out when it doesn't work just isn't worth it. Obviously for the ride it'll be fine, but SLI is a technology they either need to invest in or (finally) kill off.

I would laugh if the ride had a microstutter issue though.

On a side-note, I'm ready for the 1180ti so I can throw these cards out the window.

EricsBiscuit

As someone with SLI (2 980's), hearing that scares me. The wonderfully random instability you get occasionally and the painful troubleshooting you need to carry out when it doesn't work just isn't worth it. Obviously for the ride it'll be fine, but SLI is a technology they either need to invest in or (finally) kill off.

I would laugh if the ride had a microstutter issue though.

On a side-note, I'm ready for the 1180ti so I can throw these cards out the window.
Jeez! I "only" have a 970. I overclocked the heck out of it though. But two 980s in SLI? Daaaaaaaaammmmnnnnnn.

trainplane3

Jeez! I "only" have a 970. I overclocked the heck out of it though. But two 980s in SLI? Daaaaaaaaammmmnnnnnn.
#GoBigorGoHome (except for SLI, that should go home and never come out again)
IMG_20171201_232037.jpg

The lighting looks obnoxious but in person it's very turned down. Not nearly as bright as it looks in the picture. It's still not as clean as I want it but it all works pretty well.

rocketraccoon

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom