Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Star Wars Land does not strech across that entire back area, does it?

It does not. I'll aim to do a composite of what goes where.

I assume that, like at DL, some unused/backstage space will be available for later expansion should they want, correct?

As I understand it the sizable space between the land and GMR / TSMM will be suitable for expansion.

Plus maintenance base (the remaining building) could feasibly move in the future..

When you this this photo it shows you how big both of these lands are going to be.

As promised. I`m being deliberately vague again with detail, but placement and scale are correct.

White are buildings, blue is the extent of the onstage area:

upload_2016-12-4_13-38-2 copy.jpg

YodaMan

While I'm glad that Star Wars Land really isn't taking up ALLLL that land, I'm equally disappointed that that much land is going to sit empty with currently little chance of any kind of Phase 3.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is this where they could expand?
View attachment 177996
I think the top expansion pad closer to TSMm could possibly be used for something Pixar related if they reopened the Pixar Place walkway. The back corner one would have to be Star Wars related. It's too small and hard to get to for a unique theme. What is that building that survived the demo? Could that potentially go as well to make the expansion pad a little bigger?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think the top expansion pad closer to TSMm could possibly be used for something Pixar related if they reopened the Pixar Place walkway. The back corner one would have to be Star Wars related. It's too small and hard to get to for a unique theme. What is that building that survived the demo? Could that potentially go as well to make the expansion pad a little bigger?

The large building is park operations support, the small green building is the newly built pargo maintenance building.

upload_2016-12-5_21-13-10.png

No Name

As promised. I`m being deliberately vague again with detail, but placement and scale are correct.

White are buildings, blue is the extent of the onstage area:

View attachment 177952

Neat, thanks.

I was concerned that, by having Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land connect, they'd be essentially blocking off whatever expansion room is left back there. However, that doesn't seem to totally be the case, which is good.

Perhaps it will be used during my lifetime.

doctornick

Neat, thanks.

I was concerned that, by having Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land connect, they'd be essentially blocking off whatever expansion room is left back there. However, that doesn't seem to totally be the case, which is good.

Perhaps it will be used during my lifetime.

It's also worth noting that (not shown on that image) there is even additional space to the south -- a triangular shaped area outside the current park boarder -- that is designated as usable land and could also easily be added for an expansion. When you combined that all, it's actually a pretty sizable chunk of land.

The biggest issue with that general area is entry/exit. You ideally don't want to make a land that is a dead end because of the impact on guest flow -- especially if the only way in or out would be via a likely very busy/crowded Star Wars area. I think building there only works if they (1) connect the land to Toy Story land and Star Wars for two different pathways or (2) build any land in such a way that it goes east (parallel to Star Wars) and also connects to Muppets or around Star Tours.

All that being said, @marni1971 has previously indicated that Star Wars is being built in such a way that the buildings will more or less cut off that south west corner and make it inaccessible for future guest use. I find it crazy if they would limit their future options that way rather than build in such a way as to have a potential expansion pad down the road -- but current Disney does seem to be shortsighted with their builds, so who knows?

doctornick

@marni1971 has previously said that the space between TSMM/GMR and Star Wars land (which will just be a berm to start) is the designated expansion pad for the Star Wars.

I don't think DL has a similar plot of land and they certainly wouldn't have one in the same location.

Goofyernmost

It's also worth noting that (not shown on that image) there is even additional space to the south -- a triangular shaped area outside the current park boarder -- that is designated as usable land and could also easily be added for an expansion. When you combined that all, it's actually a pretty sizable chunk of land.

The biggest issue with that general area is entry/exit. You ideally don't want to make a land that is a dead end because of the impact on guest flow -- especially if the only way in or out would be via a likely very busy/crowded Star Wars area. I think building there only works if they (1) connect the land to Toy Story land and Star Wars for two different pathways or (2) build any land in such a way that it goes east (parallel to Star Wars) and also connects to Muppets or around Star Tours.

All that being said, @marni1971 has previously indicated that Star Wars is being built in such a way that the buildings will more or less cut off that south west corner and make it inaccessible for future guest use. I find it crazy if they would limit their future options that way rather than build in such a way as to have a potential expansion pad down the road -- but current Disney does seem to be shortsighted with their builds, so who knows?
I'm sorry, but, there was a Streets of America, Car stunt show, multiple utility buildings, Water tower, Catastrophe Canyon, Back lot tour, etc, in the area that is now being used to construct TSL and SWL. Tell me again how anything can be listed as unable to expand too. There isn't a square inch on the entire property that Disney couldn't use, if they were willing to spend the money and put the work in. What is there now or what will be there means absolutely nothing. They will build what they want, where they want it. When you have that kind of money, nothing is an obstacle.

doctornick

I'm sorry, but, there was a Streets of America, Car stunt show, multiple utility buildings, Water tower, Catastrophe Canyon, Back lot tour, etc, in the area that is now being used to construct TSL and SWL. Tell me again how anything can be listed as unable to expand too. There isn't a square inch on the entire property that Disney couldn't use, if they were willing to spend the money and put the work in. What is there now or what will be there means absolutely nothing. They will build what they want, where they want it. When you have that kind of money, nothing is an obstacle.

I think you are misunderstanding. I didn't saying it cannot be built upon. I am saying that according to @marni1971 the way Star Wars is being build, it "cuts off" access to the southeast corner. Which means to use it for on stage and allow guest flow to the area, they would have to tear down buildings that will be build for Star Wars.

Maybe plans have been modified and this is no longer the case. Admittedly, Martin's drawing seems to me to allow for some potential guest access to that corner in the future, but he's the one who has said it and I trust him unless he says he's learned something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom