Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

roj2323

As I have followed the discussion on this board I notice a trend of increasing speculation and complaints about "Disney's" decision making regarding this expansion. To my knowledge this is baseless and only being fueled by the interpretations of a couple of artist renderings andvthe decision to decorate a blank construction wall. To that point, take the site plan into consideration that was released in Oct. 2015 attatched here. I find it curious that not a single interpretation on this board is considering the revised park extents specifically rerouting the current entry to accommodate the expansion of the SOA and area south of Star Tours/Muppet area. All the drawings and area calculations are being done on the existing park layout. Seems like flawed reasoning in my opinion.
If you look at the site plan, it looks to me that there is plenty of room to connect the new Srar Wars area to Star Tours either directly to the south or via a walkway around the sout of the Muppets area. It also wouldn't surprise me to see it totally revamped to incorporate new ride technology and free up space for additional Muppets/Indy theming in its place.

Thats it for my first post.

I want to say you are wrong, I really do, but....... Your idea has some merit. I went back and looked at the water management permit drawings and part of what this permit does is change the water management districts sizes and shapes. The pic you posted is the new proposed districts. The entire area between the park entrance road and canal is currently "swamp land" but the enormous water retention pond they are digging on the the far side of World Drive is providing the dirt necessary to level that entire area to an elevation of 97ft with the swampland offset being the new water retention pond. This permit does not stipulate that this area will be parking, only that it will be leveled off at 97ft. This is kinda like creating a blank canvas. Other interesting bits of this permit include a large drainage culvert from roughly the bottom end of Toystoryland's location(DHS-1) 700+ft back to the canal and a second Large culvert reaching 263ft towards the park from the canal into (DHS-3) drainage district. What this means I don't know but I find it a little interesting that they broke up the new drainage districts the way they did.

(DHS-3) in particular is interesting becuase it makes a point of going around the cast services building while grabbing the corner of the parking lot that they put up the temporary tent in a few times a year. It also seems strangely convenient that if you tack on the BLX area to everything outside the park in that water district (DHS-3) it's reasonably close to 14 acres. There are some issues with this theory however in that disney is going through some effort to install a new ramp to the existing entry, they call it Osceola parkway/world drive entrance ramp (BY OTHERS) on the drawing on pg25. It just seems like a lot of effort for a temporary ramp that would send traffic directly towards an entrance that's being eliminated.

One thing is for sure it's going to be very confusing until more permits are filed and they start moving dirt.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I want to say you are wrong, I really do, but....... Your idea has some merit. I went back and looked at the water management permit drawings and part of what this permit does is change the water management districts sizes and shapes. The pic you posted is the new proposed districts. The entire area between the park entrance road and canal is currently "swamp land" but the enormous water retention pond they are digging on the the far side of World Drive is providing the dirt necessary to level that entire area to an elevation of 97ft with the swampland offset being the new water retention pond. This permit does not stipulate that this area will be parking, only that it will be leveled off at 97ft......

Actually it does. It's buried in the text, I would have to dig to find it, but it says that W12.2A and W12.22 will become parking.

[Edit]: Found it, 402-mp_section_c.pdf (Section C, Part 1, Paragraph 4):

"Wetlands W12.22 and W12.2A comprise a crescent-shaped wetland located between the southeastern edge of the project area and Canal L-402. These two wetlands will be removed due to parking expansion; therefore, the SHWL and normal pool level (NPL) elevations of W12.22 and W12.2A are not applicable."

upload_2016-4-9_7-2-54.png

Last edited:

RMichael21

With all of this Star Tours talk and how it'll be disconnected from SWL... Just re-theme the thing to a Prequel Trilogy ride, taking guests through the love story of Anakin and Padme! I mean, we all know how disconnected the prequels feel from the original trilogy. It'd be perfect! A disconnected set of movies for a disconnected ride. ;):rolleyes::cool:

Wikkler

With all of this Star Tours talk and how it'll be disconnected from SWL... Just re-theme the thing to a Prequel Trilogy ride, taking guests through the love story of Anakin and Padme! I mean, we all know how disconnected the prequels feel from the original trilogy. It'd be perfect! A disconnected set of movies for a disconnected ride. ;):rolleyes::cool:
Meesa love that idea! Then we can get more of the best Star Wars character:
CWOxgf7UEAQMi-o.jpg

Imagine Yoda's role in Star Tours, but with Jar Jar instead. Massive success!

djkidkaz

I'm still thinking we will get something like this. You can enter SWL by Star Tours or from TSL. They could then route you behind muppets and mama melrose to connect the two.
image.jpeg

This could be the path that blocks your view as you walk around muppets and mama melrose so you stay in the SW theme:
image.jpeg

SCOTLORR

I'm still thinking we will get something like this. You can enter SWL by Star Tours or from TSL. They could then route you behind muppets and mama melrose to connect the two.
View attachment 137530

This could be the path that blocks your view as you walk around muppets and mama melrose so you stay in the SW theme:
View attachment 137531
This is exactly what I was thinking. The only problem from there would be the pathway that is currently New York Street as it would mix Muppets and the front of SWL, although as long as there is another tunnel entrance on this end, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

What happens if Star Tours does not connect to Star Wars Land? Will the attraction move to the land allowing the simulator building to be used as a different attraction? Like a Iron Man simulator ride like they're building in Hong Kong Disneyland?

FigmentForver96

What happens if Star Tours does not connect to Star Wars Land? Will the attraction move to the land allowing the simulator building to be used as a different attraction? Like a Iron Man simulator ride like they're building in Hong Kong Disneyland?
Orlando could not use the Iron Man theme anyway, but it would not be hard to theme Star Tours to anything really. I would not be surprised to see it rethemed shortly after Star Wars Land opens.

PorterRedkey

View attachment 137530

View attachment 137531

I hope they connect Start Tours to the new land, but the route around Muppets, with the current space available, looks like a terrible bottleneck. I hope they can increase the width of the choke point if this happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom