Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

jt04

That only means that the parking will still be available as an expansion area if they create more parking elsewhere. But again, this will be the most expensive place to build of all the options discussed. My ongoing question about Phase 3 is this: if Disney isn't willing to spring the dough the rejigger the parking to make Star Wars, will they be willing to do so for a less popular IP?

Parking garages have always been inevitable for this park. My guess is they are already budgeted for.

Slowjack

I'm still thinking we will get something like this. You can enter SWL by Star Tours or from TSL. They could then route you behind muppets and mama melrose to connect the two.
View attachment 137530

This could be the path that blocks your view as you walk around muppets and mama melrose so you stay in the SW theme:
View attachment 137531
The problem with that is Disney loses back-door access to what we can now call the Muppet Courtyard area. The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder about the bigger thematic problem connecting Star Tours with SWL. I don't mean timeline issues (which I suspect most guests wouldn't notice). I mean that SWL is an attempt to create a living fictional world and Star Tours, externally at least, is firmly in the "movie magic" ethos of the original Disney-MGM plan. It's supposed to be a studio building, with a set of an Ewok village (only the bottom part), and a replica of an AT-AT as a photo-op. For Star Tours to make visual sense with the rest of a contiguous SWL, you'd have to remove or replace the AT-AT and the village and somehow make the show building look like a spaceport or something like that. That's a potentially big outlay for an old attraction. If SWL isn't contiguous with Star Tours, though, the problem goes away. Don't get me wrong, I still want to see SWL in the Indy area, but if SWL goes in the back, I think connecting it to Star Tours in a logical way that is visually and thematically cohesive is a huge job for not much gain. I don't seem they trying, personally.

jt04

The problem with that is Disney loses back-door access to what we can now call the Muppet Courtyard area. The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder about the bigger thematic problem connecting Star Tours with SWL. I don't mean timeline issues (which I suspect most guests wouldn't notice). I mean that SWL is an attempt to create a living fictional world and Star Tours, externally at least, is firmly in the "movie magic" ethos of the original Disney-MGM plan. It's supposed to be a studio building, with a set of an Ewok village (only the bottom part), and a replica of an AT-AT as a photo-op. For Star Tours to make visual sense with the rest of a contiguous SWL, you'd have to remove or replace the AT-AT and the village and somehow make the show building look like a spaceport or something like that. That's a potentially big outlay for an old attraction. If SWL isn't contiguous with Star Tours, though, the problem goes away. Don't get me wrong, I still want to see SWL in the Indy area, but if SWL goes in the back, I think connecting it to Star Tours in a logical way that is visually and thematically cohesive is a huge job for not much gain. I don't seem they trying, personally.

If they are smart they will. We all wondered how you will go from DAK to Pandora thematically. And we still don't have any idea how that might be accomplished. The Studios already has a solution. Might need a Space Mountainish tunnel or two. Or something akin to it.

Drops Mic, exits stage right.

Slowjack

Parking garages have always been inevitable for this park. My guess is they are already budgeted for.
They might be, but that still doesn't answer the question. You can build a garage or not build a garage and that's a separable decision from creating an expansion pad in the parking lot. Again, let's suppose all the following are true:

A. SWL in LMA/SoA areas.
B. Parking decks to replace all or some of the current surface parking
C. Phase 3, whatever that might be, has not been greenlit

Okay, if all of those are true, then saying the parking-lot expansion pad will be available for Phase 3 means saying one of the following things. Either:

D. Phase 3, when greenlit, will include building out into the parking and all its associated expense.

Or:

E. As part of building parking decks relatively soon (item B), Disney will go ahead and do all the work needed to make the lot available for a Phase 3 expansion which they have not yet decided to do.

I find it hard to believe either D or E. Having spent a ton of money to make TSL and SWL, and done so without building onto the lot, why would they do so for a later Phase 3 that holds less potential? And why would tight-fisted Disney spend on infrastructure that may never have a payoff? JT, you are the eternal optimist, so I'm sure you can believe either of these could be true, but not me.

jt04

They might be, but that still doesn't answer the question. You can build a garage or not build a garage and that's a separable decision from creating an expansion pad in the parking lot. Again, let's suppose all the following are true:

A. SWL in LMA/SoA areas.
B. Parking decks to replace all or some of the current surface parking
C. Phase 3, whatever that might be, has not been greenlit

Okay, if all of those are true, then saying the parking-lot expansion pad will be available for Phase 3 means saying one of the following things. Either:

D. Phase 3, when greenlit, will include building out into the parking and all its associated expense.

Or:

E. As part of building parking decks relatively soon (item B), Disney will go ahead and do all the work needed to make the lot available for a Phase 3 expansion which they have not yet decided to do.

I find it hard to believe either D or E. Having spent a ton of money to make TSL and SWL, and done so without building onto the lot, why would they do so for a later Phase 3 that holds less potential? And why would tight-fisted Disney spend on infrastructure that may never have a payoff? JT, you are the eternal optimist, so I'm sure you can believe either of these could be true, but not me.
Looks to me that expansion into the parking lot is no longer on the table. Indy stays for the time being because it eats crowds. As will the auditorium near RnRC. And Muppets. I would not be surprised to see some new daytime show added to the Fantasmic theater also. Just spitballing now. But the crowds will be huge.

Again though none of this works without Padora being available. Money well spent.

SirLink

I have been told the plan is to retheme Star Tours in both DHS and DL to the same IP. But they wouldn't say what IP. But they weren't thrilled about it being in Tomorrowland.

I feel like "Phase 3" will be more like the retheme of Star Tours, an Indy replacement, RnR retheme, BatB replacement, new F!, and maybe one new PIXAR attraction.

@marni1971 Ya know that thing .... :(

Wikkler

It won't be this because Muppets Courtyard isnt' going away
I'm aware of that. I just took "between" as including the two landmarks.
Will this do better then? The magical 14 acres:
deleteme.png

Last edited:

MonorailLover

The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder about the bigger thematic problem connecting Star Tours with SWL. I don't mean timeline issues (which I suspect most guests wouldn't notice)
There's already timeline issues, that basically ruined Star Tours for me, atleast. I'm a HUGE SW fan, and my family is somewhat, but they don't notice, which means only 2-5% will actually notice, that at the time on Jakku(Which should be random, like the other planets on the Adventures Continues, but I know its Disney marketing machine combined with The Star Wars Hype Train that has ruined that) R2-D2 should technically be "hibernating", while C3P0 should also be on D'Qar(where the Resistance Base is located.... wookiepedia it for more info), or atleast with General Organa........... sorry, I ain't calling her Princess anymore, she deserves more....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
. I would not be surprised to see some new daytime show added to the Fantasmic theater also.

Again though none of this works without Padora being available. Money well spent.
Neither would I since it's been talked about on hear for a year now.

But if your Soarin over Pandora land had never been built then DHS may have been getting the full expansion as originally scheduled that it needs instead of something that's potentially turning into a hacking job. Money was very badly spent.

Last edited:

Wikkler

But if your Soarin over Pandora land had never been built then DHS may have been getting the full expansion as originally scheduled that it needs instead of something that's potentially turning into a hacking job. Money was very badly spent.
I mean, it's nice to get all these upgrades to Animal Kingdom, but:
  1. DHS needed an expansion more.
  2. Epcot needed the money that went into Harambe and Rivers of Light (Sorry guys but it's true, even though one's been proven to be one of the best experiences in the country and the other seems to be just as good, even though it's delayed!)

CrescentLake

Well that's dissapointing. If phase 3 is really spread out among the park, will we get theming to turn the areas that are still studio theme to a more "enter the movie" theme? Like will star tours and Indy still be in their current forms, will we still see those ugly studio wear houses everywhere, etc.

SirLink

Well that's dissapointing. If phase 3 is really spread out among the park, will we get theming to turn the areas that are still studio theme to a more "enter the movie" theme? Like will star tours and Indy still be in their current forms, will we still see those ugly studio wear houses everywhere, etc.

Under all the information that I received - and it did seem it was almost the same - Indy was always going to get axed ... I would presume it would be a stage version of an IJ films. Removing the stunt theme.

TBH I do find it odd when actions in the park is diametrically opposed to current chatter out there, it could be even to the point of Disney misleading guests so they come to their own conclusions ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My guess is once Toy Story Land and SW Land open and they don't need Indy for capacity it will just be shut down and used for special events. If SW isn't going into that area I doubt they will do anything with it at all. No clue what they do with Star Tours. Maybe that just gets shuttered too.

HauntedMansionFLA

My guess is once Toy Story Land and SW Land open and they don't need Indy for capacity it will just be shut down and used for special events. If SW isn't going into that area I doubt they will do anything with it at all. No clue what they do with Star Tours. Maybe that just gets shuttered too.
Those two areas could always be used for an Star Wars expansion once the first phase is deemed successful.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those two areas could always be used for an Star Wars expansion once the first phase is deemed successful.
We all know what happens to phase 2 of Disney projects:rolleyes: If the rumors are true and SW goes next to Toy Story I wouldn't hold my breath for a phase 3. This way is way cheaper than expanding backstage much or into the parking lot. I think that will be it for DHS for a long time. It's an unfortunate turn of events considering the additions will not even offset the losses. A park in desperate need of more rides and attractions will now have less.

Recently Gone:
  1. Backlot tour
  2. LMA
  3. Streets of America (and Osbourne lights)
  4. Indy Stunt Show (assuming it gets scrapped)
  5. HISTK play area
  6. Magic of animation
  7. American Idol Experience
Additions:
  1. Slinky dog coaster
  2. Spinner ride
  3. Millennium Falcon
  4. Star Wars E ticket
This doesn't include possibly losing Star Tours once the rest of the land opens. It's just a shame they couldn't commit to doing this right and build out the park the right way. A project which looked so promising is now looking like the typical lackluster offerings from recent history and don't even get me started on stupid ideas like Guardians of the Tower of Terror. Star Wars Land will be popular and draw plenty of people in for years to come. I guess that's all they really care about.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We all know what happens to phase 2 of Disney projects:rolleyes: If the rumors are true and SW goes next to Toy Story I wouldn't hold my breath for a phase 3. This way is way cheaper than expanding backstage much or into the parking lot. I think that will be it for DHS for a long time. It's an unfortunate turn of events considering the additions will not even offset the losses. A park in desperate need of more rides and attractions will now have less.

Recently Gone:
  1. Backlot tour
  2. LMA
  3. Streets of America (and Osbourne lights)
  4. Indy Stunt Show (assuming it gets scrapped)
  5. HISTK play area
  6. Magic of animation
  7. American Idol Experience
Additions:
  1. Slinky dog coaster
  2. Spinner ride
  3. Millennium Falcon
  4. Star Wars E ticket
This doesn't include possibly losing Star Tours once the rest of the land opens. It's just a shame they couldn't commit to doing this right and build out the park the right way. A project which looked so promising is now looking like the typical lackluster offerings from recent history and don't even get me started on stupid ideas like Guardians of the Tower of Terror. Star Wars Land will be popular and draw plenty of people in for years to come. I guess that's all they really care about.

Magic of Animation was replaced with Star Wars Launch Bay, and American Idol was replaced with the Frozen Sing Along. I would bet that both of the replacement are soaking up more crowds then what they replaced.

jt04

Does all this have anything to do with Staggs leaving?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom