Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As I have followed the discussion on this board I notice a trend of increasing speculation and complaints about "Disney's" decision making regarding this expansion. To my knowledge this is baseless and only being fueled by the interpretations of a couple of artist renderings andvthe decision to decorate a blank construction wall. To that point, take the site plan into consideration that was released in Oct. 2015 attatched here. I find it curious that not a single interpretation on this board is considering the revised park extents specifically rerouting the current entry to accommodate the expansion of the SOA and area south of Star Tours/Muppet area. All the drawings and area calculations are being done on the existing park layout. Seems like flawed reasoning in my opinion.
If you look at the site plan, it looks to me that there is plenty of room to connect the new Srar Wars area to Star Tours either directly to the south or via a walkway around the sout of the Muppets area. It also wouldn't surprise me to see it totally revamped to incorporate new ride technology and free up space for additional Muppets/Indy theming in its place.

Thats it for my first post.

Actually, people have brought up that idea. Current speculation is that if Star Wars Land has been moved to LMA area it was done to speed up the construction timeline. Extending out beyond the current park boundaries around Muppets would defeat this purpose. According to the permit the area shown in that map beyond the current entrance road is to be used for parking, although it's possible that has changed.

Rockdrsmith

Actually, people have brought up that idea. Current speculation is that if Star Wars Land has been moved to LMA area it was done to speed up the construction timeline. Extending out beyond the current park boundaries around Muppets would defeat this purpose. According to the permit the area shown in that map beyond the current entrance road is to be used for parking, although it's possible that has changed.

I agree that the new Star Wars Land will be placed on part of the SOA area, but will also take up the current scrub land area outside the current park limit and inside the dashed line. Until Disney releases a modified plan, or Iger discusses budget cuts, I'll keep speculating on the original expanded park extent.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about any new construction and enjoy the discussion, but sometimes think the speculation starts to take the place of reality as time goes on.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I agree that the new Star Wars Land will be placed on part of the SOA area, but will also take up the current scrub land area outside the current park limit and inside the dashed line. Until Disney releases a modified plan, or Iger discusses budget cuts, I'll keep speculating on the original expanded park extent.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about any new construction and enjoy the discussion, but sometimes think the speculation starts to take the place of reality as time goes on.

If we are going with what is already known, then no, it is not going out in that scrub land area because that has been designated for parking. It would also dramatically delay construction since the preparation of the land hasn't even finished the permitting process yet, and the new entrance road hasn't even started that process yet.

doctornick

98% to stay.

I hope so. Star Tours is a quality attraction with huge capacity. It would be pointless IMHO to change the theme when there are a lot of other places in DHS where that money could be better spent. Furthermore, even if it is not attached to the main Star Wars land, it would be a reasonable anchor for a second land -- and, let's face it, Star Wars is popular enough that Disney will probably want to milk it as much as possible. Or it can be a part of another more generic kind of action land pr space port or whatever.

Build new Disney, don't replace.

Jae99

If we are correct in assuming that SWL is going into the LMA/SOA area. It should allow Disney to construct the new lands and the parking simultaneously. If they stayed with the original plans it would have mean't that they would have had to wait on some of the construction that was going into the parking lot extending the date for opening.

Many people were upset that it was looking like DL was going to get the new land first. Hopefully this will allow Disney to finish construction on both coasts closer to one another.

Obviously the best outcome for DHS is for the entire 14 acres that were proposed for SWL in the IJ/Echo lake area to be used for the much rumoured phase 3. I don't think there is any logical reason for trying to keep Star Tours as is. It could be either re-themed to a new IP or expand on the building for a different ride type.

jt04

If we are correct in assuming that SWL is going into the LMA/SOA area. It should allow Disney to construct the new lands and the parking simultaneously. If they stayed with the original plans it would have mean't that they would have had to wait on some of the construction that was going into the parking lot extending the date for opening.

Many people were upset that it was looking like DL was going to get the new land first. Hopefully this will allow Disney to finish construction on both coasts closer to one another.

Obviously the best outcome for DHS is for the entire 14 acres that were proposed for SWL in the IJ/Echo lake area to be used for the much rumoured phase 3. I don't think there is any logical reason for trying to keep Star Tours as is. It could be either re-themed to a new IP or expand on the building for a different ride type.
It will be easier and far cheaper to just connect Star Tours to the rumored new area. There is more than enough land.

Jae99

Proposal.jpg
Maybe it could end up something like this?

I realize some would like to keep Star Tours and somehow connect it to the rest of SWL, but the distance between the back of Star Tours and what could be SWL is over 100 m. That would be a pretty long distance to traverse and properly theme.

BrianLo

I thought Disneyland was getting HK's Iron Man Experience to replace its Star Tours. Not sure how that would work in Florida.

Nothing more than armchair imagineering that has taken on a life as a rumour. There are no medium term plans to change Star Tours at DL. WDI seems to have zero qualms with this. I struggle to understand why the fans care so much that they physically need to touch.

Everyone say it with me, Star Tours is not turning into Iron Man. Spread the word.

Mike S

Nothing more than armchair imagineering that has taken on a life as a rumour. There are no medium term plans to change Star Tours at DL. WDI seems to have zero qualms with this. I struggle to understand why the fans care so much that they physically need to touch.

Everyone say it with me, Star Tours is not turning into Iron Man. Spread the word.
Would you put Big Thunder Mountain outside of Frontierland?

BrianLo

Would you put Big Thunder Mountain outside of Frontierland?

Big Thunder mountain was designed to go into Frontierland. Star Tours was never designed to occupy this new land. Apples to oranges.

In fact, it highly clashes with its overarching location/timeline. Not so much that I'd really care if it was a part of the land, but I actually prefer it isn't.

WDI at one point based their initial plans around conforming to a 36 year old simulator ride. When they got over that - the plans became significantly better.

JohnWD

Star Tours leaving possibly? #ThanksShanghai. Disney seems to want to cut corners wherever they can with this park makeover. Just put SWL where it should be and actually expand the borders of the park then all of LMA/SoA remains free for phase 3. They need to just bite the bullet here.
Would this take longer to build?

Mike S

Big Thunder mountain was designed to go into Frontierland. Star Tours was never designed to occupy this new land. Apples to oranges.

In fact, it highly clashes with its overarching location/timeline. Not so much that I'd really care if it was a part of the land, but I actually prefer it isn't.

WDI at one point based their initial plans around conforming to a 36 year old simulator ride. When they got over that - the plans became significantly better.
So, going from actually expanding the parks footprint to using up the best spot for phase 3 is better?
Would this take longer to build?
Yes but then the original plan for phase 3 is pretty much dead.
If SWL goes in this corner, what was phase three as a Pixar expansion won't fit.

Unless the park border is pushed back. A lot.

Consensus is this move is an attempt to speed up construction but will hit them in the long run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom