Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

NormC

That is unknown. Yes, Star Tours is getting new destinations later this year, but it has never been stated if it will remain once the expansion is complete.

Given that the Millennium Falcon will be right in front of it in the expansion,
That is also unknown.

Incomudro

Set up a poll. "Tatooine or the concept art released at D23." I bet you any amount of money that the concept art wins.

This would be the worst theme park land of all time.

tattooine2-600x337.jpg

Yes, there's not enough of ^^this^^ to make a land - though I'm sure die hard Star Wars fans would still be happy with it.
Looking at it from Disney's point of view, it has to have visual impact - not just to the die hards - but possibly more importantly to the casual fans.
There has to be a wow factor, like gazing at The Castle, EE, or Pandora.
This new Star Wars village - whatever it may be, probably features prominently in the new films.
Maybe Hans and Chewie land there, or Luke live there.
It also has the right look - like a town with a street level market area.

CaptainAmerica

Try Mos Eisley Spaceport with the Cantina from the first movie against "What'sThatNewPlanet'sName Spaceport".
You guys are hilarious. I'm sure I could go not-too-far-back in this thread and ten others and find you complaining about the lack of "original" ideas in the Disney parks in favor of known commodities. "Previously unknown planet set in the Star Wars universe" is the best of both worlds. It gives WDI creative freedom by not pinning them down to fanboy fantasies, while also capitalizing on well-known IP.

Win-win-(win).

Disneyhead'71

You guys are hilarious. I'm sure I could go not-too-far-back in this thread and ten others and find you complaining about the lack of "original" ideas in the Disney parks in favor of known commodities. "Previously unknown planet set in the Star Wars universe" is the best of both worlds. It gives WDI creative freedom by not pinning them down to fanboy fantasies, while also capitalizing on well-known IP.

Win-win-(win).
I should say that I'm not a big Star Wars fan and I think the concept art looks awesome. But as a Potter fan, if Universal had decided to invent a new all encompassing "magical" place, I would have been livid.

ctrlaltdel

I should say that I'm not a big Star Wars fan and I think the concept art looks awesome. But as a Potter fan, if Universal had decided to invent a new all encompassing "magical" place, I would have been livid.
I would say that Potter is far more linked to certain places (Hogswarts, Diagon Alley, etc.) than SW. There are certainly iconic planets and settings, but there is an entire galaxy to explore in SW!

ParentsOf4

I know this has to do with reducing the CapEx money being spread out over many years, but when the CapEx expenditure is at historic lows, (back me up on this @ParentsOf4), you would think they could build a little quicker. I think this announcement was just to shut up fans who kept asking when Disney will build their Star Wars land. A 2017 start seems to indicate a 2020 opening date if there current schedule is followed. Another project that is announced 5-years before completion.
It's very possible something this exciting won't happen again at WDW for another 10-to-20 years.

Enjoy the moment. :)

CaptainAmerica

That's just a function of a difference between the IPs involved. Potter needs to be Diagon Alley / Hogwarts / Hogsmeade. The characters spend seven books pretty much exclusively in those three locations. The Star Wars universe has literally thousands of planets that each "feel" Star Wars because of the technology, characters, and creatures that inhabit them. The most notable "place" in Star Wars is space itself, and you can't recreate that (outdoors, at least) in the middle of Florida. Other examples:

Avatar - Needs to be in the bio-luminescent forest with some adjacent futuristic technology
Toy Story - Needs to be in a child's bedroom but probably doesn't need to be Andy's bedroom
Big Hero 6 - Needs to be in San Fransokyo
Fast and Furious - Can be in any urban environment. More important are the vehicles, neon, architecture, lighting
Lord of the Rings - Could be a city we've never seen on screen or read about, as long as there's evidence of hobbits, elves, and men
Star Trek - Absolutely should not be a place you've ever seen before

TalkingHead

Totally different situation. The Potter universe is self-contained -- there are only a handful of meaningful locations. Star Wars is sprawling and vast -- I think the new planet setting is a creative solution, if they can take advantage of it.

surfsupdon

I'm excited for this one.

Never seen Avatar or Star Wars, but I am certainly more excited for Star Wars over Pandora.

I'd love for my dad to experience this new world.....get moving now Disney!

Amy Brewer

I'm probably going to regret this, but I feel I'm the only one who is not feeling that excited for Star Wars Land. Please don't get me wrong but I love the star wars films! They are really cool. I have to criticise my own self and say I don't like change and to see alot of the other shows go and that HollyWood Studios name is going so its not an actual studio is also effecting me. But I guess I'll wait and see! After my next trip I don't think ill visit for a few years until all construction is finished. I know I will be completely blown away with it all and it will be amazing but right now Im like, oh no what is Disney doing.

ctrlaltdel

I'm the opposite on this one. I love Star Wars and didn't particularly care for Avatar, but I think Pandora will be a superior theme park experience (in concept at least... we'll have to see vis a vis execution).
I'm super excited for Pandora as well, it just looks incredible. When all is said and done, Pandora may actually be more memorable, especially is they pull of the bioluminescence. However, I've been wanting a SW theme park all my life. I hope they are able to pull off some amazing attractions for this. I truly believe Disney will go all out (they clearly are putting the money into it). Too bad we won't have the details on them for at least 2 years I think.

PorterRedkey

It's very possible something this exciting won't happen again at WDW for another 10-to-20 years.

Enjoy the moment. :)

It really is hard to complain when we are getting a 2 new themed lands @ DHS plus Avatar and the possible Frontierland E-ticket. I know in 5 years when we have (hopefully) 4 new E-tickets and a 3 new lands I will be very happy! Maybe Epcot will get some love by then too.

misterID

I'm probably going to regret this, but I feel I'm the only one who is not feeling that excited for Star Wars Land. Please don't get me wrong but I love the star wars films! They are really cool. I have to criticise my own self and say I don't like change and to see alot of the other shows go and that HollyWood Studios name is going so its not an actual studio is also effecting me. But I guess I'll wait and see! After my next trip I don't think ill visit for a few years until all construction is finished. I know I will be completely blown away with it all and it will be amazing but right now Im like, oh no what is Disney doing.
I'm really not that excited and haven't been. A lot of it now depends on what the actual attractions are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom