Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

IMFearless

We met a nice lady and her husband on a bus going from Downtown Disney back to BC/YC. We got talking to them and they were on their way to Epcot via IG. We asked what they'd been up to etc and they said "we had a lovely day yesterday, we went to Disney World".

They looked at me like I was crazy when I explained we were still in Disney World.

I am always amazed how little the average guest knows, because being on these boards you begin to assume the boards reflect the general public, which they definitely do not. We are the 0.01% people.

PorterRedkey

We met a nice lady and her husband on a bus going from Downtown Disney back to BC/YC. We got talking to them and they were on their way to Epcot via IG. We asked what they'd been up to etc and they said "we had a lovely day yesterday, we went to Disney World".

They looked at me like I was crazy when I explained we were still in Disney World.

I am always amazed how little the average guest knows, because being on these boards you begin to assume the boards reflect the general public, which they definitely do not. We are the 0.01% people.

For some people, there is no "Magic Kingdom". The Magic Kingdom to a lot of guest in Orlando is Disney World. Where the Magic Kingdom in Anaheim is Disneyland. Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and California Adventure are the parks that people know the right names because they are additions to the main (original) park.
When I ask people that got to WDW if they like the Magic Kingdom I get blank stares. It is just Disney World to them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For some people, there is no "Magic Kingdom". The Magic Kingdom to a lot of guest in Orlando is Disney World. Where the Magic Kingdom in Anaheim is Disneyland. Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and California Adventure are the parks that people know the right names because they are additions to the main (original) park.
When I ask people that got to WDW if they like the Magic Kingdom I get blank stares. It is just Disney World to them.

They also know about Disney's Harry Potter theme park. ;)

Mawg

I'm constantly correcting my father in law when he calls the Magic Kingdom Disneyland, he always looks at me like I'm some kind of Disney freak, I just think to myself no, some of the people on these boards are Disney freaks, not me. As I'm sitting here wearing my Dole Whip T shirt.

PorterRedkey

I hate it when people say they are going to Disneyland when they are going to Orlando or vice versa, but since I had only ever gone to WDW until this month, I found my self saying I was going to Disney World even though I was headed toward California. I corrected myself immediately, but it was just an instinct from 40 years of park visits to WDW. It made me sympathize with the common Disney visitor's confusion.

DisneyRoy

Coruscant_03db43b4.jpeg

Or how about this? I have always thought Coruscant would make an awesome location to visit. The center of the Republic. A seedy underworld. And a popular space port to boot.

Mawg

View attachment 106318

Or how about this? I have always thought Coruscant would make an awesome location to visit. The center of the Republic. A seedy underworld. And a popular space port to boot.
I still like the coolness the vegetation brings in the concept art better. Nothing but pavement and steel, looks great on the screen and I would prefer to visit Coruscant if I could do so in some personal transport but I think Disney is on the right track with this.

cttaylor

I know 14 acres is the biggest ever single themed land expansion ever, but do you think if Disneyland didn't get Star Wars land we would have gotten a bigger land at DHS. Specially since Disneyland is so land restricted we could have gotten a bigger themed area of Star Wars at DHS since that is not land restricted.

Mawg

I know 14 acres is the biggest ever single themed land expansion ever, but do you think if Disneyland didn't get Star Wars land we would have gotten a bigger land at DHS. Specially since Disneyland is so land restricted we could have gotten a bigger themed area of Star Wars at DHS since that is not land restricted.
Good point for a new member, welcome

twebber55

You guys are hilarious. I'm sure I could go not-too-far-back in this thread and ten others and find you complaining about the lack of "original" ideas in the Disney parks in favor of known commodities. "Previously unknown planet set in the Star Wars universe" is the best of both worlds. It gives WDI creative freedom by not pinning them down to fanboy fantasies, while also capitalizing on well-known IP.

Win-win-(win).
mentioned the same thing earlier

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This was posted 20 pages ago.

The SW area will be built using the existing buildings around Echo Lake. The dark areas are the attractions/guest areas that will be removed. Everything else is simply being re-themed/skinned.

The original plans were to just add the Falcon and convert Backlot Express to the Cantina and, rather than being truly innovative, they just expanded the area to include all of Echo Lake.

When it was explained to me, I was shocked that you can basically see the entire layout in the concept art. The layout is completely consistent in each piece of concept art.

The only thing not known was where exactly the second attraction was going, or whether it was new or just an updated Star Tours.

View attachment 106273
View attachment 106272 View attachment 106271 View attachment 106270
The concept art is for both DL and WDW. So if the 2nd ride is just a retheme of Star Tours are they planning to move the entire attraction at DL? It's not where the rest of SW land is going. I find it hard to believe that they would design the entire SW land for both parks just to fit a few existing buildings in DHS and save a few bucks on demo and rebuilding. I gues we'll have to wait until 2017ish at least when they break ground to find out if it's true.

twebber55

I'm super excited for Pandora as well, it just looks incredible. When all is said and done, Pandora may actually be more memorable, especially is they pull of the bioluminescence. However, I've been wanting a SW theme park all my life. I hope they are able to pull off some amazing attractions for this. I truly believe Disney will go all out (they clearly are putting the money into it). Too bad we won't have the details on them for at least 2 years I think.
ill go on record and say Pandora will be the greatest themed experience in the world when its finished....I think Disney realizes that star wars is the greatest IP in the world and this will force them to have the highest of standards greater than Pandora

twebber55

I still like the coolness the vegetation brings in the concept art better. Nothing but pavement and steel, looks great on the screen and I would prefer to visit Coruscant if I could do so in some personal transport but I think Disney is on the right track with this.
I agree...this look is very cool and unique

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It's an interesting question, but 14 acres is pretty big, not sure if they would have gone even bigger. Now if that has been a 4 or 5 acre expansion then I would say they were restricting it to the space available at DL.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You guys are hilarious. I'm sure I could go not-too-far-back in this thread and ten others and find you complaining about the lack of "original" ideas in the Disney parks in favor of known commodities. "Previously unknown planet set in the Star Wars universe" is the best of both worlds. It gives WDI creative freedom by not pinning them down to fanboy fantasies, while also capitalizing on well-known IP.

Win-win-(win).
Not to brag or anything, but they got the idea from me. Disney people really do read these boards:). From another thread back in March where someone was trying to argue that Tatooine and Star Wars in general won't work in a theme park since people will expect to see an exact duplicate of the movie sets:
OK last try for me. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it seems pretty easy to do to me. So forget about calling it Tatooine or Mos Eisley. They can simply build a spaceport on some planet in the SW Universe that's patterned after Mos Eisley with known Star Wars characters and ships. I'm sure they can create a backstory. Disney has a backstory for everything. It can even have it's own Cantina with a snazzy band. If the hangup is they can't redesign Tatooine because we've already seen it in the movies than just create another environment inspired by the SW Universe. That's pretty much what they did with Star Tours. It has the look and feel of a place from the SW Universe, but isn't modeled after a particular set.

Like I said a few pages back, this will not go over well with the Star Wars purists, but the land isn't really being built for them.

It was a brilliant idea back then and it's still brilliant. Waiting for the check in the mail;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I should say that I'm not a big Star Wars fan and I think the concept art looks awesome. But as a Potter fan, if Universal had decided to invent a new all encompassing "magical" place, I would have been livid.
Harry Potter took place in several distinct environments. The places were almost as iconic as the characters. Star Wars is in Space. There are a lot more environments to choose from. The real stars of the SW universe (besides the main characters) are the ships and the droids. They can add both without it being direct from a movie. It works for Star Tours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom