Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ignohippo

"I've waited 37 years for a Star Wars land in a theme park, and they build a planet that isn't even in Star Wars?"

Who was it that said Disney would find some way to screw this up?

Well, no doubt this land will feature predominately in TFA an most likely the other two films. It just sounds like an enormous risk to me to base a new expansion on an environment for a film that hasn't even come out yet.

But hey, plenty of time to can it if the film bombs, I guess.

chiefs11

Who said that? Its a planet thats in the new movies, obviously, and they don't want to give the name just yet. Do you really want 'barren desert land'?
I was thinking that at first too, but I believe they've already released the name of the new planet in the new film as Jakku. So if it was that, they would have just said so. But, it's possible it's a different planet from one of the new films and don't want to release that information yet. However, I think it's perfectly acceptable to be a new planet/spaceport not in the films...the StarWars galaxy doesn't have to be limited to the planets in the films.

Kamikaze

I was thinking that at first too, but I believe they've already released the name of the new planet in the new film as Jakku. So if it was that, they would have just said so. But, it's possible it's a different planet from one of the new films and don't want to release that information yet. However, I think it's perfectly acceptable to be a new planet/spaceport not in the films...the StarWars galaxy doesn't have to be limited to the planets in the films.

Jakku is the new desert planet. There is more than one new planet in the movie. Iger gave a pretty detailed description of the planet - "last stop on the edge of Wild Space" - so its clear it has a backstory already and thus must appear in one of the upcoming films.

The Star Wars canon is an entire GALAXY. We've seen what, ten planets on film? I'd much rather go to an awesome space port (that sounds like it'll feel a lot like Knowhere from Guardians) than stupid Tatooine or Hoth.

Well, sort of. Remember - Disney retconned everything except the films, their novelizations, and anything produced before April of last year. So even things like Dathomir don't exist now. They can still be used and brought back, but the canon is a very short list currently.

Disneyhead'71

The Star Wars canon is an entire GALAXY. We've seen what, ten planets on film? I'd much rather go to an awesome space port (that sounds like it'll feel a lot like Knowhere from Guardians) than stupid Tatooine or Hoth.
Man, your trying hard.

I'm sure all the Star Wars fans have been waiting for years for Disney to come in and fix it for them so that wouldn't have to suffer a visit to stupid Tatooine.

chiefs11

Jakku is the new desert planet. There is more than one new planet in the movie. Iger gave a pretty detailed description of the planet - "last stop on the edge of Wild Space" - so its clear it has a backstory already and thus must appear in one of the upcoming films.
I don't think it having a backstory means it has to be in the films. Everything at Disney has some kind of "backstory".

ctrlaltdel

Well, no doubt this land will feature predominately in TFA an most likely the other two films. It just sounds like an enormous risk to me to base a new expansion on an environment for a film that hasn't even come out yet.

But hey, plenty of time to can it if the film bombs, I guess.
Which isn't gonna happen. Placing it at a space port makes sense from a story point of view. You can go branch out around the galaxy from there.

Incomudro

I have no doubt that the land pictured in the concept art is a land from the new film(s).
Star Tours gives us some Endor - I'm betting it stays as is.
Tatooine Traders gives us a bit of - well...
The new films will give us the new themed land plus the Falcon.

fosse76

Not only that, I think this might be the best way to go, and the easiest to pull off in a convincing way. There are no pre-conceptions of what exactly it should look like or what should be there. It will have the look-and-feel of Star Wars, and done correctly, that's all that really matters. (imho, of course)
That's what I tried to convey to my friend, since that would somewhat restrict the theme of future additions. He conceded, but felt Disney was cheating Star Wars fans by making-up a planet that doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. Look what Universal had to do after painting themselves in a themeing corner: they had to build an entire new land at Universal for a Harry Potter addition. . . oh wait, that's not bad for fans.

Not to mention, everyone complains when attractions rehash existing storylines, rather then create new experiences within the world or story they are based on. So you just can't please everyone. :rolleyes:
That's true, and I tried to express that as well, this hybrid world will give the "feel" of the Star Wars universe. It's an attempt to try to give as much of the universe as practically as they can.

SirLink

Man, your trying hard.

I'm sure all the Star Wars fans have been waiting for years for Disney to come in and fix it for them so that wouldn't have to suffer a visit to stupid Tatooine.

The setting is one thing I'll give Disney the most credit for, when you have to pick 25 planets ... create a new planet and create experiences to send you off to those planets that you want to fly the vehicles.

CaptainAmerica

Set up a poll. "Tatooine or the concept art released at D23." I bet you any amount of money that the concept art wins.

This would be the worst theme park land of all time.

tattooine2-600x337.jpg

I'm assuming the Cantina will be different than the one in Mos Eisley Spaceport. Unless it's some sort of chain like Applebee's or Ollivander's.
And you lecture me about Star Wars fandom and knowledge? Just about every city in the Star Wars galaxy has (at least) one cantina. And that's small-c cantina.

Telos:

EM081C.jpg

Taris:

1000px-Javyar%27s_Cantina.jpg

Etc.

fosse76

Set up a poll. "Tatooine or the concept art released at D23." I bet you any amount of money that the concept art wins.

This would be the worst theme park land of all time.

tattooine2-600x337.jpg
Why would it have had to be Tatooine? And they could have done the marketplace for that specific planet, or chosen another planet location (if they had decided to go that route). It's amusing how you picked one very specific isolated locale in the entire series as the only option for a recreation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom