Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for clarifying for me. I will admit I wasn't sure how long it took, only I have read numerous comments here that it took forever or too long in some people's opinions. Hopefully they can start SWL construction without having to wait for the new parking structures to be completed.
That's doubtful.

I imagine prep will begin but I wouldn't expect full work to begin without one structure being ready.

lazyboy97o

And even once you do have plans you need to send them out for contractors to bid on, and then get all your construction permits in order before work can start.
Disney doesn't always follow the traditional design, bid, build process. They do fast track where a contractor is selected up front so that on-site work can begin before all of the drawings are done.

AmUK

I don't know .... i'm very cynical when it comes to the current regime.

Announce a big Star Wars Land, which keeps investors happy, keeps the hard going fans happy, creates buzz around the wider publc - but then build nothing for years.

They have known the script and plot for these new Star Wars movies for a while - should be no excuse for any delays. Get building.

But i fear, we'll have a cheapish Toy Story Land complete Six Flag attractions as the only addition to DHS in the foreseeable future.

Years of not building anything or adding any new attractions - makes attractions like Avatar, Star Wars a massive neccesitiy.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
i really like the effects work in ETwB..
i have been trying to find out how the mirror effect is done..

do you have any links to how it is done?
ETA: im not an imagineer by any stretch so some simplified version will suffice

TIA

Here is a video explanation. Beginning starts dry but it will show you how it's done:

JediMasterMatt

I'd have thought they would have been well ahead in planning stages by now.

This has been on the cards for years now.

You also need to keep in mind that however accelerated this project in Florida becomes, it was never intended to open before Anaheim's version. Florida's version is going to be behind the 8-ball because of the infrastructure work that needs to take place.

That's why Toy Story Land is there to placate.

doctornick

You also need to keep in mind that however accelerated this project in Florida becomes, it was never intended to open before Anaheim's version. Florida's version is going to be behind the 8-ball because of the infrastructure work that needs to take place.

By infrastructure, do you mean the parking decks? Because I don't see what infrastructure needs at DHS would be more complicated than at DL where they intend to redirect and fill in a body of water to build upon.

Unplugged

Keep in mind the all too obvious as well. That being that the holiday season is upon us, which means a very, very busy WDW. Now is not the ideal time to start a major construction project when you only have to wait a few months for a better time. Once it all clears after the New Year, it will be much easier to start walling off, re-routing traffic, moving in heavy equipment, and moving out dumpsters and trucks full of debris. This is not an ideal activity unless the project is already well under way. That is, next year's holidays should already have a lot of this in place so it will be less disruptive. Remember, it's a long term project like the Downtown/DS enhancements are. Planning and organization are critical to keeping Disney's Magical Money Printing Machine printing!

Crazydisneyfanluke

Keep in mind the all too obvious as well. That being that the holiday season is upon us, which means a very, very busy WDW. Now is not the ideal time to start a major construction project when you only have to wait a few months for a better time. Once it all clears after the New Year, it will be much easier to start walling off, re-routing traffic, moving in heavy equipment, and moving out dumpsters and trucks full of debris. This is not an ideal activity unless the project is already well under way. That is, next year's holidays should already have a lot of this in place so it will be less disruptive. Remember, it's a long term project like the Downtown/DS enhancements are. Planning and organization are critical to keeping Disney's Magical Money Printing Machine printing!
Also, don't forget the Toy Story playland is currently going in the back stage area. They could start at anytime they want since most of the location is on BLT.

AmUK

Any chance Zholt Hormay might be working on SWL after finishing up with AvatarLand? Impressive resume.

Hope not. The sheer length of time it's taken to finsih Avatar is a disgrace. And even then it won't be ready till 2017 - so are you hoping they commence work in 2017?

Why do i have a feeling that nothing will begin on the Star Wars construction next year?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hope not. The sheer length of time it's taken to finsih Avatar is a disgrace. And even then it won't be ready till 2017 - so are you hoping they commence work in 2017?

Why do i have a feeling that nothing will begin on the Star Wars construction next year?

Even if Star Wars does start construction as announced next year, they won't be ready for rockwork until Avatar is open.

It appears Avatarland will take about 3 1/2 years to finish. I will judge if that is to long once I see the final product. From what we have seen so far it looks like this is going to be an amazingly themed land with a lot of unique features.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom