Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jones14

Curious about something, perhaps an "insider" or experienced project tracker can explain. I realize that the announcements of land space used for projects inside a park are restricted when they are "in the round" such as the Mine Coaster. But when they say SWL will use 14 acres and we know it is along the side of the park, is that 14 acres of accessible themed guest space and not inclusive of the attraction buildings that extend back stage, or is 14 acres the whole thing? I ask as depending on the size of the buildings and facilities required, that can eat into the themed experience a bit. I know a lot of space is proposed and I'm sure it will seem big when it opens, I was just curious to get a perspective on how much walking themed area we may see in actuality.
I believe that the 14 acres includes show buildings for attractions, restaurants, etc.

jt04

Curious about something, perhaps an "insider" or experienced project tracker can explain. I realize that the announcements of land space used for projects inside a park are restricted when they are "in the round" such as the Mine Coaster. But when they say SWL will use 14 acres and we know it is along the side of the park, is that 14 acres of accessible themed guest space and not inclusive of the attraction buildings that extend back stage, or is 14 acres the whole thing? I ask as depending on the size of the buildings and facilities required, that can eat into the themed experience a bit. I know a lot of space is proposed and I'm sure it will seem big when it opens, I was just curious to get a perspective on how much walking themed area we may see in actuality.

I think pandora and carsland are reasonable templates for comparrison. Slightly more than those.

AmUK

Hi i've read through the early parts of this thread - but does anyone know when we'll actually see construction begin for this world?

bjm72385

First, I'm not so sure that the coordination of the timing would be anything less than coincidence. These things are a giant cash cow, waiting to happen. They are not going to let 1 single day of potential income slip by just for a PR stunt. If either one is done a month before the other, then I am certain that they will open it up.

Second, I am not so sure about your guess that Anaheim will be done first. All things being equal, the WDW version would seem to have an easier potential construction process. Mostly backstage, own and manage nearly everything involved in the project at WDW.

Don't forget about the map that @marni1971 posted earlier in the thread that showed SWL extending out into the parking lot. It may be possible that the new parking structures will have to be built before taking out that section of parking lot, and based on how long it took Disney to build the Orange garage at Disney Springs, our version could easily take as long as DL. I am hoping not, but you never know. Didn't I read somewhere, (maybe earlier in this thread, I can't remember), that the parking area that will be used for SWL is cast member parking, and that Disney may have them relocate and park elsewhere and bus in to the park? (with Disney possibly already confirming this to cast members, although I can't remember if that post was a joke or not lol).

dstrawn9889

Don't forget about the map that @marni1971 posted earlier in the thread that showed SWL extending out into the parking lot. It may be possible that the new parking structures will have to be built before taking out that section of parking lot, and based on how long it took Disney to build the Orange garage at Disney Springs, our version could easily take as long as DL. I am hoping not, but you never know. Didn't I read somewhere, (maybe earlier in this thread, I can't remember), that the parking area that will be used for SWL is cast member parking, and that Disney may have them relocate and park elsewhere and bus in to the park? (with Disney possibly already confirming this to cast members, although I can't remember if that post was a joke or not lol).
what? the deck was started in Oct of 2013, and open to park on November 20, 2014... what makes you think it takes that long to pour a parking deck?

:::EDIT::: to correct start date

JediMasterMatt

Re: the future of the Star Wars IP in Disney Parks - Star Wars Land is being designed so that the attractions can be shared wherever they are needed (more so the Millennium Falcon attraction as the Battle/Adventure/Resistance one ties into the Land a bit more). The original concept behind SWL was that the land could vary from park to park; so they needed to come up with attractions that could easily be agnostic.

In short, there is potential that different locations in the SW galaxy can pop up wherever Disney wants to expand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You can just whip up plans for project of this magnitude in a weekend.

Even if the started drawing things up the second the purchased Lucasfilm three years ago it would take a couple of years at least before they could break ground.

And even once you do have plans you need to send them out for contractors to bid on, and then get all your construction permits in order before work can start.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And even once you do have plans you need to send them out for contractors to bid on, and then get all your construction permits in order before work can start.
Precisely. It is not uncommon to see some larger single family homes sit on our books for 12-18 months prior to building, and the plans normally spent 6-12 months in development prior to me seeing them.

And that is just a 15k-20k square foot house. Not a 14 acre land.

Roakor

Precisely. It is not uncommon to see some larger single family homes sit on our books for 12-18 months prior to building, and the plans normally spent 6-12 months in development prior to me seeing them.

And that is just a 15k-20k square foot house. Not a 14 acre land.

And they are not building ordinary houses that follow a standard format. everything is custom made for themeing and ride design. Its like building a 14 acre Winchester house

bjm72385

what? the deck was started in Oct of 2013, and open to park on November 20, 2014... what makes you think it takes that long to pour a parking deck?

:::EDIT::: to correct start date
Thanks for clarifying for me. I will admit I wasn't sure how long it took, only I have read numerous comments here that it took forever or too long in some people's opinions. Hopefully they can start SWL construction without having to wait for the new parking structures to be completed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom