Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Inside the Magic is reporting that Star Wars Land will be finished by October 2018, with construction beginning in January 2016.

Jim Hill said this on his podcast, and is basing it on the dates in the water management permit that was recently filed. It is not safe to draw the conclusion that the date on the permit is when the actual land will be completed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
how do you know this or are you inferring this

I am not sure which piece you are talking about so I will address both. Here is the transcript from the podcast...

"Jim: ..to me what's intriguing about the site plan and the whole announcement that we will have this open by 20.... or so says the paper work, we will be done by 2018. Len: be done by done with Star Wars Land and everything by 2018? Jim: That seems to be the plan."

This clearly sounds like he is referring to the recent permit. As for the meaning of the date in the permit, it could mean that's when the whole project will be done, but it could also mean just the water management work detailed in the permit. If this were a notice of commencement that said Star Wars Land would be done by 2018, then I would say that's a pretty solid date, but this case is not so cut and dry.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It was off of another website which had cited an excerpt from Inside the Magic. I cannot seem to find the website now though. But it was sourced and cited as if it was a legit quote.

Found it. Yet another site incorrectly assuming that since the permit says the work will be done in 2018, that it's referring to the actual construction of the lands.

http://www./2015/10/star-wars-land-...reveal-scope-of-changes-to-hollywood-studios/

Haymarket2008

I believe word that Star Wars would/could be completed by 2018 has been talked about by reliable sources even before the permits were released and before Jim Hill.

roj2323

While a 2018 completion date is unlikely, this isn't to say that it's not possible. If you look at the speed in which Universal can bring new attractions online (using largely the same construction companies) it's entirely possible that disney is planning on something similar with 24hr around the clock construction. With the areas in which they will be doing the construction it would be fairly easy to get construction equipment and personnel in and out without disrupting park operations.

Time will tell but I really hope this is the route they go even if the 2018 timeline is an optimistic fantasy at best.

lazyboy97o

While a 2018 completion date is unlikely, this isn't to say that it's not possible. If you look at the speed in which Universal can bring new attractions online (using largely the same construction companies) it's entirely possible that disney is planning on something similar with 24hr around the clock construction. With the areas in which they will be doing the construction it would be fairly easy to get construction equipment and personnel in and out without disrupting park operations.

Time will tell but I really hope this is the route they go even if the 2018 timeline is an optimistic fantasy at best.
Disney's issues with getting things done really isn't with the contractors but with Disney deciding and moving forward. Universal has been able to move faster than everyone else by removing a lot of layers of decision making.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom