Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

Well, that all looks pretty darn impressive. I consider myself barely a Star Wars fan and even I'm geeking out over the details and glimpses that have been released in the last 12 hours. This land looks like it will set new benchmarks for theme park design.

As we learn more about the area, it will be fascinating to see how Disney handles crowds. Just looking at the amount of time needed to experience this land:
  • Ride Rise of the Resistance - 1:30 total experience time (factoring what seems to be a lengthy ride time)
  • Ride Smuggler's Run - 1:00 (2:30 total)
  • Order and eat lunch at a CS spot - 1:00 (3:30 total)
  • Order and enjoy drinks at the Cantina - 00:30 (4:00 total)
  • Browse various merchandise shops - 1:00 (5:00 total)
  • Enjoy any streetmosphere entertainment - 00:30 (5:30 total)
  • Additional time for snacks, photos, enjoying the area's atmosphere, walking to/from rides, bathroom breaks, etc. - 00:30 (6:00 total)
I easily hit six hours if someone wanted to try to see everything the land has to offer, and that was using stupidly conservative times. The waits for the two rides will inevitably be closer to a bajillion hours each rather than the 45-60 mins I used. That one hour of shopping time doesn't include the inevitable lines at check-out, not to mention expected waits if you want to build a droid or lightsaber. And any food/dining is liable to have 15-30 min waits just to get to the point of order.

I'm sure a lot of folks will get exhausted/frustrated at the waits or have minimal interest in all the Star Wars details and will just go on the two rides and then leave. But for a lot of others, this is a dream coming true and they'll be there as long as possible. They'll want to ride each attraction multiple times, get every drink at the Cantina, and just sit on a bench and take it all in.

How will Disney handle it? Timed reservations just to enter the land? Limiting how many times you can ride each attraction? Strict ordering limits on drinks and food? Or do you go macro and keep the land open continuously for 2 days? 3 days? A week?

Right there with you. Maybe Disney will surprise us and, on opening day in Anaheim, announce that the Phase 2 expansion with TS restaurant and third attraction will open 2022 or something.

We do have a bit of an analog for this with Pandora at Animal Kingdom. Guest enjoyment of that area is pretty high and I bet 95% of them couldn't care less about the movie. It shows a large scale, quality, immersive experience can be successful even when based on a meh IP (not that SW is that!).

Some SW super fans may gripe, but they'll still be there giddy as a kid. Because Batuu isn't tied to a specific trilogy, it's pretty easy to swap in whatever SW time period you want. It's basically a blank SW canvas, and you can just as easily imagine Luke, Han, and Leia shuffling through the marketplace as you can Rey, Poe, and Finn. Ditto the Falcon ride - some people will envision themselves as Han Solo as they sit in the pilot's chair while others might think of Rey.

Personally, I'll imagine I'm Lando in RofJ, and Han will get that shield down, we just gotta give him more time! ;)
LOL at your times. 90 minutes for RotR and then 60 for Smuggler's Run? Only if you have a FP+ for Smuggler's Run and are at the park at 6 a.m. ahead of a 7 a.m. open that will surely be commonplace in December. After waiting for both rides, I'd adjust your schedule and stop by the Cantina for the drink(s) you'll need at 10 am after getting on both rides in a mere 4 hours at the park ;)

Epcot_Imagineer

I am interested to see what they will be using for a blade.

Considering the price point I'm assuming they're going to be using the same or similar electronics as the Disney Parks Exclusive sabers. That is: decent removable LED blades and "okay" sound.

I noticed something in the concept art, and if I'm the first person to point it out I'll be pretty proud of myself! I can't say for certain what the blade itself will be made of, but I am almost certain that it will come out of this port built into Savi's workbench. What else would this perfectly hilt/blade sized hole be for?

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Also I don’t see the huge deal with lack of TSR at this point? The food in the one QSR looks pandora quality, so should be great... and I find I avoid Disney TSR for most part as it’s overpriced and usually never very good in the parks.

And this land was developed for Disneyland first correct? Which has an aversion to TSR in general I think...
Unless I miscount, DL has the same number of sit down restaurants in the park (4) as the MK. And the ones in DL, in my experience, have much better food and are significantly more charming (Carnation is among my favorite theme park eateries)

A heavily themed table service can and should be an integral component of a fully immersive IP land. The Potter lands’ primary failure was in not having even one such restaurant between them. It’s a mind-boggling oversight Disney is repeating,

Disney Analyst

Unless I miscount, DL has the same number of sit down restaurants in the park (4) as the MK. And the ones in DL, in my experience, have much better food and are significantly more charming (Carnation is among my favorite theme park eateries)

A heavily themed table service can and should be an integral component of a fully immersive IP land. The Potter lands’ primary failure was in not having even one such restaurant between them. It’s a mind-boggling oversight Disney is repeating,

I mean, they are at least improving on that by having two QSRs compared to Potters one. And I’m sure there is room to add a TSR in future. Just, for me personally it does not detract from the land in the least.

Rteetz

Just saw in a Nerdist article that there will be 14 lightsaber building stations. I imagine it'll be similar for the droid building experience.

Could Disney open these up for Fast Passes as well? There's sure to be lines.
According to Emtertainment Weekly you will have to sign up for sessions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"Without giving too much away" - there's basically a pre-ride, the core ride, and maybe a post ride. The pre-ride is more Resistance based but transitions to The First Order, the core ride is going to be like the bulk of concept art released (First Order escape), and the end of the ride will be escaping The First Order and returning to Batuu.
Post ride?

Rogue1138

If they do fill in that empty spot with a TSR, I hope it's modeled on Hoop Dee Doo, wherein groups are settled all in at one time, limited choice of menu, and some entertainment. Then, move 'em on out.

Would actually be cool if they had one of the bands from the movies play like the Modal Nodes or the Max Rebo Band.

hpyhnt 1000

Are these your time estimates for a visit in 2025?? ;)

LOL at your times. 90 minutes for RotR and then 60 for Smuggler's Run? Only if you have a FP+ for Smuggler's Run and are at the park at 6 a.m. ahead of a 7 a.m. open that will surely be commonplace in December. After waiting for both rides, I'd adjust your schedule and stop by the Cantina for the drink(s) you'll need at 10 am after getting on both rides in a mere 4 hours at the park ;)

I did admit my attraction times were stupidly conservative! It was more an exercise in seeing how, given the amount of stuff there will be to experience, even a casual guest could easily spend a half day in this land. How Disney handles guest flow is going to be fascinating to watch, and I do think they're going to need to put some systems (or personnel) in place to encourage people to "move along."

Incomudro

RSoxNo1

Just to be clear:

Oga's Cantina - Bar for now, not a table service?
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo - Quick Service
Ronto Roasters - Quick Service (or walk up like Bengal BBQ?)

Milk Stand - Snack Stand
Kat Saka's Kettle - Snack Stand

Also, what am I looking at here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom