Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Reading the RCID 2020 plan, the report laid out how the four parks could be expanded. Curiously, they only outlined one way to expand the borders of DHS: by using the land west of the park across from World Drive (they'd have to build a bridge or tunnel). Conversely, they had this to say about the other three:

If they were to expand the boundaries, and not demolish anything, would they have to move across World Drive as the 2020 report indicated?

Looks like the plan didn't anticipate the release of the conservation easement on the land between the park and Victory Way.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
How much does this actually filibuster DAK/MK/Epcot is the other thing that is interesting. We've sort of learned that nothing really touches MK. Pandora still seems to be going strong. Meanwhile Frozen, which is woefully under capacity, is now routinely seeing sub-hour waits. I think under all scenarios Epcot continues to suffer.

You’ve seen from the TEA numbers that with Pandora, the MK when flat to negative, after growing consistently. While there are probably other factors at play, the only park that showed an increase beyond DAK was Epcot, and that was barely anything.

MickeyMinnieMom

Pandora is probably the most reasonable analogy. Except that was unique to all Disney Parks. SWGE will have a west coast clone. I’m just not sure about the unintended consequences of GE.

Historically a large increase in attendance at one park causes the other parks to flatten out or go negative. Pandora illustrated this as well as NFL.
You’ve seen from the TEA numbers that with Pandora, the MK when flat to negative, after growing consistently. While there are probably other factors at play, the only park that showed an increase beyond DAK was Epcot, and that was barely anything.
I know this is true. I still think that SWGE will 1) draw more non-WDW folks than Pandora did and SOME should spill over, and that 2) anecdotal info across boards and other social media suggests that some number of more frequent visitors are putting off trips until SWGE opens... they presumably will visit more than just DHS.

Just gut feelings/guesses, obviously...

You would think Disney will offer early morning and extra evening hours everyday for awhile. Several have stated they shouldn’t have Fast Passes available at the opening of the land.
I assume so. They catastrophically had only Pandora open late instead of all of AK, but for TSL they kept all of DHS open later, correct? I’d assume early and late for all of DHS for a while after SWGE opens. Hope that ends up happening.

sedati

Reading the RCID 2020 plan, the report laid out how the four parks could be expanded. Curiously, they only outlined one way to expand the borders of DHS: by using the land west of the park across from World Drive (they'd have to build a bridge or tunnel)

I remember way back when there was a more ambitious version of what eventually became Rock'n Roller Coaster being discussed. I believe the ride was going to be a Hollywood Hills roller coaster and would have had its main ride building on the opposite side of world drive with a bridge or tunnel of some sorts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Actually, MK's negative growth was in 2016, the year before Pandora opened. It ticked up again in 2017, the year Pandora opened.

monothingie

Premium Member
Actually, MK's negative growth was in 2016, the year before Pandora opened. It ticked up again in 2017, the year Pandora opened.

You are correct. But .3%....is flat. Something like Pandora should have been a rising tide to raise all ships, but it seems like it just took from one to give to the other.

roj2323

That was one option for version two of SWL (the Indy area). Cast parking was proposed to move across World Drive.

I’d more expect any meaningful DHS expansion to take the other option also previously considered and move into the parking lot, with parking structures to compensate (or concreting over more greenery)
What about moving world drive? Just shift the right of way west.

Stripes

Premium Member
You are correct. But .3%....is flat. Something like Pandora should have been a rising tide to raise all ships, but it seems like it just took from one to give to the other.
Disney themselves said Pandora contributed to record attendance at WDW. It didn't just shift things around.

monothingie

Premium Member
Disney themselves said Pandora contributed to record attendance at WDW. It didn't just shift things around.
If you look at the TEA numbers, it drove record attendance to DAK, which in turn helped maintain the WDW resort's top numbers, However MK attendance which had been steadily growing went negative in 2016 and leveled off in 2017. DHS was negative and EPCOT was flat to positive.

My point was, while Pandora boosted DAK, it halted growth at 2 of the four other gates, which had been steadily growing. Of course there are other factors such as construction and price increases, but again a hot new expansion should have been able to drive attendance substantially higher at the other parks, but didn't.
Walt-Disney-World-Magic-Kingdom-Annual-Attendance-in-millions.png
Disneys-Animal-Kingdom-Annual-Attendance-in-millions.png
Walt-Disney-World-Epcot-Annual-Attendance-in-millions.png
Disneys-Hollywood-Studios-Annual-Attendance-in-millions.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom