Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Pho

Kinda internally that 6-8 to hours to get in the land then ride an attraction that I was informed of, they project it will last for at least a year.

That would be crazy. They can obviously project better than I can but nothing else has come close to that. I mean Toy Story had that for less than a day. To me, I imagine Disneyland will take the biggest hit from the die hard Star Wars and Disney fans, lessening World's impact somewhat, especially with multiple months between them. But expecting the land to hit capacity for a year with two of them open on both sides of the country. They must be expecting a much larger boost than I am.

jt04

That would be crazy. They can obviously project better than I can but nothing else has come close to that. I mean Toy Story had that for less than a day. To me, I imagine Disneyland will take the biggest hit from the die hard Star Wars and Disney fans, lessening World's impact somewhat, especially with multiple months between them. But expecting the land to hit capacity for a year with two of them open on both sides of the country. They must be expecting a much larger boost than I am.

They have data from reservations. Plus I am sure they get a ton of calls about the Star Wars hotel daily.

Plus the 50th! 🎉🎊🎆🎂🎇📣📯🎠📈🎭🎷🎸🎺🎻🎹

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Attendance
I guess it depends on how many additional people show up for this land. Park hopping and multi-day tickets are inevitable and those people will also tack on the other parks. The entire resort wide attendance should go up even if the distribution becomes wonky. If it doesn't then there will be massive panic at TDO.

I mean, people have technically been suckered if they are buying a one day ticket to Hollywood Studios, I'm sure that will be more frequent though. Depending on how difficult it is to navigate your standard week long stays may be suddenly dedicating 2 days to DHS, that's most likely coming out of Epcot or DAK. Probably the former with Pandora still being somewhat hot.

Ratatouille is going to be a tiny plug in a stinking ship.

Pandora is probably the most reasonable analogy. Except that was unique to all Disney Parks. SWGE will have a west coast clone. I’m just not sure about the unintended consequences of GE.

Historically a large increase in attendance at one park causes the other parks to flatten out or go negative. Pandora illustrated this as well as NFL.

SirLink

How many lands have actually had appreciable waits to enter for any period of time? Hogsmeade only? Isn't that more a sizing to popularity issue. Hogsmeade is tiny, SW:GE is not.

I don't think Pandora, Radiator Springs or Diagon Alley have closed to capacity all that often, maybe I am mistaken.

I feel like this waiting to get in is something that won't really be a factor outside of the grand opening period and maybe a holiday or two. Multi-hour waits for the attractions, absolutely. But even still both have a bit more capacity than FoP.

That is why Studios management are a nervous wreck they don't expect things to change much from opening until Tron and/or Guardians open.

Its another reason why this makeover project as been absolutely backwards. They need 20 rides/shows for DHS/DAK/Epcot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How many lands have actually had appreciable waits to enter for any period of time? Hogsmeade only? Isn't that more a sizing to popularity issue. Hogsmeade is tiny, SW:GE is not..
The capacity of SWL is not as huge as some think. Add to that an... issue... with the design of both versions and they expect the area to be at capacity for quite a while.

nickys

Premium Member
It was certainly an option. The IP side of things wasn’t an issue.

It all came down to short term cost. And now they’re scrambling to spend even more money to fix the capacity mistake.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I cannot in all honesty “like” this reply. But it’s exactly what we all feared. Are they privately admitting it was a mistake btw?

BrianLo

That is why Studios management are a nervous wreck they don't expect things to change much from opening until Tron and/or Guardians open.

Its another reason why this makeover project as been absolutely backwards. They need 20 rides/shows for DHS/DAK/Epcot.

The capacity of SWL is not as huge as some think. Add to that an... issue... with the design of both versions and they expect the area to be at capacity for quite a while.

I see, it's going to be extremely interesting to see how this all settles out. Obviously on top of things DL and DHS are essentially completely opposite with their dilemmas. DL is limited by physical space and infrastructure for more people. DHS is limited by other things to do.

How much does this actually filibuster DAK/MK/Epcot is the other thing that is interesting. We've sort of learned that nothing really touches MK. Pandora still seems to be going strong. Meanwhile Frozen, which is woefully under capacity, is now routinely seeing sub-hour waits. I think under all scenarios Epcot continues to suffer.

Now you'll have me guessing at this 'issue' @marni1971. Something to do with restaurant capacity?

nickys

Premium Member
How many lands have actually had appreciable waits to enter for any period of time? Hogsmeade only? Isn't that more a sizing to popularity issue. Hogsmeade is tiny, SW:GE is not.

I don't think Pandora, Radiator Springs or Diagon Alley have closed to capacity all that often, maybe I am mistaken.

I feel like this waiting to get in is something that won't really be a factor outside of the grand opening period and maybe a holiday or two. Multi-hour waits for the attractions, absolutely. But even still both have a bit more capacity than FoP.

Diagon Alley had return times for entry when it first opened. Kinda like the old fastpass system, you got a time after which you could go back and enter.

BrianLo

Diagon Alley had return times for entry when it first opened. Kinda like the old fastpass system, you got a time after which you could go back and enter.

Sorry I should clarify, I know they all initially were closed to capacity, but that was a matter of few days. The suggestion is this will be the norm for SW: GE for the first 6 months to year of operation.

That's going to be bonkers.

jt04

But did you see how small 192 was....

:)

Before WDW opened there were gloomy gusses, doom and gloomers, and Debbie downers who were convinced the whole enterprise would close in a year or two. Nothing new under the 🌞.

Then traffic backed up from the MK all the way to 192 on world drive.

The pixie dusters were vindicated. And everyone lived happily ever after.

HauntedMansionFLA

You would think Disney will offer early morning and extra evening hours everyday for awhile. Several have stated they shouldn’t have Fast Passes available at the opening of the land.

Stripes

Premium Member
Not any more.

I’d also be surprised if certain things weren’t fast tracked soon after SWL opens. But they still have to learn to add, not replace.
Reading the RCID 2020 plan, the report laid out how the four parks could be expanded. Curiously, they only outlined one way to expand the borders of DHS: by using the land west of the park across from World Drive (they'd have to build a bridge or tunnel). Conversely, they had this to say about the other three:
Both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom may expand through infill and intensification of previously developed areas. Disney’s Hollywood Studios has a potential expansion area west of the theme park although the area is located across World Drive from the existing attractions. Animal Kingdom has substantial room within its existing boundaries for additional attractions. There are also several undeveloped sites within the District that are large enough for an entirely new theme park.

If they were to expand the boundaries, and not demolish anything, would they have to move across World Drive as the 2020 report indicated?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Reading the RCID 2020 plan, the report laid out how the four parks could be expanded. Curiously, they only outlined one way to expand the borders of DHS: by using the land west of the park across from World Drive (they'd have to build a bridge or tunnel). Conversely, they had this to say about the other three:

If they were to expand the boundaries, and not demolish anything, would they have to move across World Drive as the 2020 report indicated?
That was one option for version two of SWL (the Indy area). Cast parking was proposed to move across World Drive.

I’d more expect any meaningful DHS expansion to take the other option also previously considered and move into the parking lot, with parking structures to compensate (or concreting over more greenery)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom