Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TiggerDad

Major Tatooine/Mos Eisley/Mos Espa vibes from this picture.

img_0769-jpg.311710
I was thinking more Aladdin with that blue genie in the middle.

Dunston

Speaking of animatronics, I remember reading somewhere from an insider or a press release that there are over 100 Stormtrooper AA's in battle escape

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Can someone explain to me where the ice blue is coming from on the spires and mountains? Not on the models from what I have seen and not in pictures from Disneyland either. Thought it could have been a base coat, but scaffolding is being removed. Not a fan. Looks cheap and like Tomorrowland rocks a bit. Did paint scheme change for WDW version or am I just missing it on model, renderings, etc.

Last edited:

sedati

Can someone explain to me where the ice blue is coming from on the spires and mountains? Not on the models from what I have seen and not in pictures from Disneyland either. Thought it could have been a base coat, but scaffolding is being removed. Not a fan. Looks cheap and like Tomorrowland rocks a bit. Did paint scheme change for WDW version or am I just missing it on model, renderings, etc.

Those specific spires are meant to be far-far away. Objects meant to be full sized and close will be rendered in crisp and full detail with rich color. Items that are supposed to look further away will implement more forced-perspective scaling and will have less detail and more muted colors. Objects meant to be very far away will have only broad detail and muted bluish hues to convey great distances (atmosphere makes things look blue/ Rayleigh scattering effect.) Look at almost any vast landscape and you'll notice how far away objects look blue:
Bryce-Canyon-National-Park.jpg

This trickery is already used in the Valley of Mo'ara in Pandora. Look at this pick from Parkeology:
pandora-valley-of-moara.jpg

Look at the level of detail and color in the foreground. Now look at everything behind the arches- see the softer detail and muted tones. Those elements sit right next to each other, but with this visual trick, conveys great depth.

Last edited:

Mike S

Those specific spires are meant to be far-far away. Objects meant to be full sized and close with be rendered in crisp and full detail with rich color. Items that are supposed to look further away will implement more forced-perspective scaling and will have less detail and more muted colors. Objects meant to be very far away will have only broad detail and muted bluish hues to convey great distances (atmosphere makes things look blue/ Rayleigh scattering effect.) Look at almost any vast landscape and you'll notice how far away objects look blue:
Bryce-Canyon-National-Park.jpg

This trickery is already used in the Valley of Mo'ara in Pandora. Look at this pick from Parkeology:
pandora-valley-of-moara.jpg

Look at the level of detail and cover in the foreground. Now look at everything behind the arches- see the softer detail and muted tones. Those elements sit right next to each other, but with this visual trick, conveys great depth.
That trick works best in pictures. In real life I’m able to tell but that might be due to a more discerning eye that belongs to an adult rather than a child.

sedati

DnKSAPpWsAE-oRu.jpg

1537059847548.png

The color does seem more saturated in real life, but I think that's a good thing. One complaint when the model first appeared was that there was too much beige. I love what I've seen of the more finished spires in California as there are many splashes of color simulating the petrified stone. Items like the shuttle have been changed to be mostly red instead of red and blue.

sedati

That trick works best in pictures. In real life I’m able to tell but that might be due to a more discerning eye that belongs to an adult rather than a child.
In pictures and possibly when standing still. The biggest issue with any forced perspective is it sort of falls apart when you change perspective. Walking by such vistas, the foreground should pass by more quickly than the background. I noticed many great effects in Pandora and really wish I'd had more time to soak them in.

sedati

In real life I’m able to tell but that might be due to a more discerning eye that belongs to an adult rather than a child.

There's a phrase commonly used when someone is telling an outlandish or fantastical story that goes: "Okay now, you're just gonna have to go with me here..."
What they're basically asking you to do is to switch off the analytical part of your brain so you can just enjoy a good story.
That is the basic need of any adult entering a theme park hoping to have a good time (alcohol can be substituted apparently.)
That is what the entry plaque at Disneyland is really saying:
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."
In other words, "hey you cynical a-holes, play along and we'll all have fun.
I'm sure we've all had a trip with someone that just couldn't leave the real world behind and saw everything a fake and silly.

For me, and I'm sure a lot of you, part of the fun of visiting as an adult is to almost switch back and forth between that child's eye and the more discerning adult one. I'll go along with the fantasy, but I'll also try and analyze those perspective tricks, find the spots where the rockwork ends or is hiding a speaker, and even time the ride vehicles in my head and try and figure out the hourly capacity.

Mike S

There's a phrase commonly used when someone is telling an outlandish or fantastical story that goes: "Okay now, you're just gonna have to go with me here..."
What they're basically asking you to do is to switch off the analytical part of your brain so you can just enjoy a good story.
That is the basic need of any adult entering a theme park hoping to have a good time (alcohol can be substituted apparently.)
That is what the entry plaque at Disneyland is really saying:
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."
In other words, "hey you cynical a-holes, play along and we'll all have fun.
I'm sure we've all had a trip with someone that just couldn't leave the real world behind and saw everything a fake and silly.

For me, and I'm sure a lot of you, part of the fun of visiting as an adult is to almost switch back and forth between that child's eye and the more discerning adult one. I'll go along with the fantasy, but I'll also try and analyze those perspective tricks, find the spots where the rockwork ends or is hiding a speaker, and even time the ride vehicles in my head and try and figure out the hourly capacity.
Oh I go along with the fantasy. Avatar is amazingly well done even though I still feel like the outside “forest” should’ve been more dense like it is in the movie. Forced perspective just can’t fool me sometimes. If you knew me you’d know it was impossible for me to just “turn off” my analytical side, lol.

drod1985

Forced perspective just can’t fool me sometimes.

As long as it's better that Beast's castle in New Fantasyland then we'll be good - that castle really sticks out to me. And since these will just be mountainous spires I think they'll work pretty good.

I know I mentioned drones a few pages back, but again, I'd like to see drones or some sort (not necessarily over guest facing area) to simulate the busy skies of a pit-stop-planet like Batuu.

Mike S

As long as it's better that Beast's castle in New Fantasyland then we'll be good - that castle really sticks out to me. And since these will just be mountainous spires I think they'll work pretty good.

I know I mentioned drones a few pages back, but again, I'd like to see drones or some sort (not necessarily over guest facing area) to simulate the busy skies of a pit-stop-planet like Batuu.
That Castle is the absolute worst, lol. Especially when we see the one Tokyo’s getting.

PorterRedkey

I'm not proposing a 'time killing animation'. I'm proposing the same exact ride as a successful run, but you are no longer piloting because you have proven you can't do so successfully. The only other option is the M:S style, where you don't have any impact on the attraction.
That is not the only other option.

You have a task. You complete it correctly - goto scene A, if you fail - go to scene B.

One person not being an expert pilot, (engineer, navigator, etc), is not going to make all flight positions lose control.

This is NOT Mission: Space. This is a real-time simulator. REAL-TIME not pre-programmed no matter what you do like M:S.

Last edited:

drod1985

Any ideas on what those two circular holes to the left of the Falcon are? Maybe Stand-by and Fastpass entrances to the ride? The seem to be present in the model as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom