Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Indeed. Speaking of which there is a now a proposal for demolition of the ST building at some undefined time. I thought I’d mention it.

Sigh.

The park is desperate for rides and Star Tours is perfectly fine with good capacity due to how many bays it has. I understand the idea to re-theme it to a different IP/concept, but tearing it down to replace it seems like just the kind of pointless waste of money that Disney keeps doing these days. DHS has other space that can be used without having to remove one of the few rides in the park (there will only be nine total still once Mickey/SW opens).

I can only hope that if this happens, that they really go all out with that Echo Lake section of the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sigh.

The park is desperate for rides and Star Tours is perfectly fine with good capacity due to how many bays it has. I understand the idea to re-theme it to a different IP/concept, but tearing it down to replace it seems like just the kind of pointless waste of money that Disney keeps doing these days. DHS has other space that can be used without having to remove one of the few rides in the park (there will only be nine total still once Mickey/SW opens).

I can only hope that if this happens, that they really go all out with that Echo Lake section of the park.

Replacing ST with a brand new ride doesn't preclude expanding into other areas, like putting a ride where Launch Bay is.

Also, @marni1971 said the building is being demolished, so, there may be hope for the vehicles to be rethemed and reused elsewhere. OTOH, WDW has also shown that if they have to spend an huge amount of money to refurbish a ride that's at the end of its life-cycle, they're likely to spend the money on something brand new.

So, in conclusion... who (besides @marni1971) knows?

eddie104

Replacing ST with a brand new ride doesn't preclude expanding into other areas, like putting a ride where Launch Bay is.

Also, @marni1971 said the building is being demolished, so, there may be hope for the vehicles to be rethemed and reused elsewhere. OTOH, WDW has also shown that if they have to spend an huge amount of money to refurbish a ride that's at the end of its life-cycle, they're likely to spend the money on something brand new.

So, in conclusion... who (besides @marni1971) knows?
Why someone wouldn't want a new state of the art attraction instead of a ride past its prime beats me. Yes DHS could use more capacity but having decent quality rides is important as well and having something exist just because it has always been there is not being open minded.

Franklin47disneyguy

Demoing st and the echo lake area opens up a lot of space for new lands, with better rides & themed dining, shopping. But strange that they are working on the st store currently if they plan on removing its a wast of money then.

smile

Open minded? Man, have you come to the wrong place.

giphy.gif

Cosmic Commando

Why someone wouldn't want a new state of the art attraction instead of a ride past its prime beats me. Yes DHS could use more capacity but having decent quality rides is important as well and having something exist just because it has always been there is not being open minded.
The blessing of size. DHS shouldn’t have to lose a perfectly good ride just to get something new; the park is underbuilt even after GE opens. There’s also a very practical reason why I’m shocked that the plan seems to be getting rid of ST one way or another— Star Wars is an entire galaxy of stories over literally thousands of years, and ST is a catch-all. It’s also a hub from which to sell your SW merch that doesn’t fit into the story of GE. GE is set in a very specific time and place. Let’s say that the movies from the Game of Thrones people are wildly successful, but they’re a completely different time and/or place than GE... so they can’t have a meaningful park presence? Or some project 15 years from now that hasn’t even been thought of yet? If ST has to be upgraded mechanically to continue, maybe they could shift down to 4 simulators like DL has if they have to save money. As much as I liked Ellen, it wasn’t very popular. ST is still popular, and has a role to play in the park going forward.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Disney obviously doesn't think the ride system is past it's prime since they just built a new ride with it less then two years ago.

eddie104

The blessing of size. DHS shouldn’t have to lose a perfectly good ride just to get something new; the park is underbuilt even after GE opens. There’s also a very practical reason why I’m shocked that the plan seems to be getting rid of ST one way or another— Star Wars is an entire galaxy of stories over literally thousands of years, and ST is a catch-all. It’s also a hub from which to sell your SW merch that doesn’t fit into the story of GE. GE is set in a very specific time and place. Let’s say that the movies from the Game of Thrones people are wildly successful, but they’re a completely different time and/or place than GE... so they can’t have a meaningful park presence? Or some project 15 years from now that hasn’t even been thought of yet? If ST has to be upgraded mechanically to continue, maybe they could shift down to 4 simulators like DL has if they have to save money. As much as I liked Ellen, it wasn’t very popular. ST is still popular, and has a role to play in the park going forward.
I get that but my point is just because a park has ample space doesn’t mean you fill it with junk. Not saying ST is bad but it’s not irreplaceable. Being under built has nothing to do with replacing outdated attractions. Yes it got updated a couple of years ago but that is besides the point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom