Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisneyFreak

This weekend DHS will get two new rides that take it to a total of 6 rides, 3 of which are E Tickets, for the next 16 to 17 months. In late '19 DHS will add two more E Tickets in Star Wars Land.

Disneyland currently has 35 rides (Main Street Vehicles counted all together as just one ride), 11 of which are E Tickets, and 12 months from now will add two more E Tickets in Star Wars Land. And less than 100 yards south of Disneyland sits DCA, which currently has 21 rides, five of which are E Tickets.

While Star Wars Land will bring crushing humanity to both parks it opens in, I'd bet two churros that Disneyland will handle the daily load better than DHS will.

DHS is going to look like it did back in '89 when it opened when you had 3 hour lines for The Great Movie Ride and The Backstage Studio Tour.

TP2000

To be totally fair, I think we have to include shows in order to get an accurate look at things, since DHS has relied heavily on them to help capacity since opening day.

Granted, some of those shows stop running at some point in the day, but I’d be surprised if Indy didn’t see more guests in a day than two or three of DL’s Fantasyland dark rides put together.

Sure, we were only talking about rides, attractions where you get in a vehicle that moves somewhere. There are lots of theater shows and walk-thru exhibits in both Disneyland and DHS.

DHS's Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, operating more or less daily since 1989 (although the Nazi references were removed mysteriously in 2004) has a theater with an audience capacity of 2,150. Tomorrow, a peak summer day, there are six shows scheduled at 12:00, 1:15, 3:15, 4:45 and 6:00. Assuming all six shows are at max capacity and not a seat goes empty, that's 10,750 customers seated.

Peter Pan's Flight at Disneyland has an average hourly ridership of 600 riders per hour. Disneyland is open from 8am to 12 Midnight seven days a week now through late August. With a 90 minute closure for the fireworks nightly, let's just round down to 14 hours of operation in a theme park that's open 16+ hours per day. That's 8,400 riders per day on Disneyland's Peter Pan's Flight. Add in a couple hours from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride right next door and you've got the daily max capacity for the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at DHS. There are three additional dark rides in Fantasyland that have slightly higher hourly capacity than Peter Pan; Alice In Wonderland, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, and Snow White's Scary Adventures. Plus Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin next door in Mickey's Toontown.

I'm convinced that when you add in the animatronic and live performance theaters that operate 16 hours per day in Disneyland; Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, Mickey & The Magical Map, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, Path of the Jedi, and even cutesy Main Street Cinema, you get a similar figure to DHS's large but 25+ year old live theater shows .

I'll say it again, both parks will deal with crushing humanity when Star Wars Land opens, but even though Disneyland's version will open six months earlier it will take the blow and bounce back faster and more graciously than DHS will. I can't imagine how they'll deal with the pressure at DHS with only six other operating rides and a handful of 25+ year old shows like Indiana Jones, MuppetVision, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll say it again, both parks will deal with crushing humanity when Star Wars Land opens, but even though Disneyland's version will open six months earlier it will take the blow and bounce back faster and more graciously than DHS will. I can't imagine how they'll deal with the pressure at DHS with only six other operating rides and a handful of 25+ year old shows like Indiana Jones, MuppetVision, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Free hoppers would help. Even if it's a one-time hopper pass.

As we saw when we compared the number or rides at Anaheim v. Orlando, they're roughly the same (and even the same rides). Only, Anaheim has the majority of them packed densely into DL and the rest in one other park. If you can't get into SWL in Anaheim, you have the rest of DL to soak it up.

Orlando has 9-10 in three parks and the rest in MK. If you can't get into SWL in DHS and the rest of DHS is slammed, then it would help to hop to where the rest of the rides are. Get on the Skyliner or ferry to Epcot. Or grab a bus to the MK.

WDW can make the good-that-day-only hopper available to anyone leaving DSH during the initial crush season. "You look exasperated, here's a hopper to any of our other parks today!"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sure, we were only talking about rides, attractions where you get in a vehicle that moves somewhere. There are lots of theater shows and walk-thru exhibits in both Disneyland and DHS.

DHS's Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, operating more or less daily since 1989 (although the Nazi references were removed mysteriously in 2004) has a theater with an audience capacity of 2,150. Tomorrow, a peak summer day, there are six shows scheduled at 12:00, 1:15, 3:15, 4:45 and 6:00. Assuming all six shows are at max capacity and not a seat goes empty, that's 10,750 customers seated.

Peter Pan's Flight at Disneyland has an average hourly ridership of 600 riders per hour. Disneyland is open from 8am to 12 Midnight seven days a week now through late August. With a 90 minute closure for the fireworks nightly, let's just round down to 14 hours of operation in a theme park that's open 16+ hours per day. That's 8,400 riders per day on Disneyland's Peter Pan's Flight. Add in a couple hours from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride right next door and you've got the daily max capacity for the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at DHS. There are three additional dark rides in Fantasyland that have slightly higher hourly capacity than Peter Pan; Alice In Wonderland, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, and Snow White's Scary Adventures. Plus Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin next door in Mickey's Toontown.

I'm convinced that when you add in the animatronic and live performance theaters that operate 16 hours per day in Disneyland; Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, Mickey & The Magical Map, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, Path of the Jedi, and even cutesy Main Street Cinema, you get a similar figure to DHS's large but 25+ year old live theater shows .

For fun I just pulled out the Indy show schedule for this time in 1990. They were doing 12 shows a day. Superstar was doing 22. At 1000 guests at a time.

Here Come the Muppets was 27 shows a day. At 390 guests at a time.

Those three attractions alone when run at full efficiency were taking over 58,000 guests a day. That’s how you manage the parks capacity. As an aside.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

Introducing cold hard facts into any discussion around here is a slippery slope.

Anyone fooling themselves into thinking that DHS will be in any state that will be tolerable from an operational perspective when SWL comes online is delusional. Everything will be oversaturated in the park. Anything that spills over into anything other than EPCOT will be painful as well. MK is already bursting at the britches with the current operational capacity and if AK picks up any of DHS's overflow in the near term - it will be a mess. EPCOT's saving grace is that the size and space of the resort spreads out the crowds better and the distance between the attractions slows down people from filling the queues as quickly. 90's EPCOT could've eaten up anything SWL could've thrown it's direction just via true operational hourly throughput. Alas, those capacity monsters are no more.

So, yes - Disneyland is going to be far better suited for an enjoyable day next year than DHS and most of WDW when the tide is high.

The nightmare is likely going to be a reality of where those guests that get turned away from entering Batuu in DHS and have to find somewhere to go only to feel stuck in the park because they don't have a hopper or very probably - going to be afraid to hop in fear of getting back into the park when phased closings are in play.

JediMasterMatt

Disneyland is already 10x worse than anywhere at WDW

It has zero space for more guests. It'll be pure chaos with SWL

All the space in the world to cram more guests into a park doesn't compensate for what those guests can actually DO while in said park.

Disneyland on a busy day has busy streets; but, you can actually accomplish things while you are in the park - ride rides, see shows, eat, etc.

DHS on a busy day has busy streets; but, you won't be able to get anywhere near the same amount of things accomplished because the guest per attraction ratio is so incredibly low. Imagine the worst of DHS (Osborne lights or SWW at it's peak); but, even more when SWL comes online.

Both parks will have wall-to-wall guests in the streets. DHS is simply going to have much longer lines for every service the park offers.

Don't be surprised to find out next year that other than the crush of humanity in Anaheim - people are going to very surprised by how many other things they will be able to get done in Disneyland while SWL is packed.

Still, if a person's barometer of "busy/crazy/chaos" is only how busy the streets are - I can see why they may think DHS is a better fit.

For me, the proof will be in how long the lines for everything will be once the tide rolls in.

Timothy_Q

All the space in the world to cram more guests into a park doesn't compensate for what those guests can actually DO while in said park.

Disneyland on a busy day has busy streets; but, you can actually accomplish things while you are in the park - ride rides, see shows, eat, etc.

DHS on a busy day has busy streets; but, you won't be able to get anywhere near the same amount of things accomplished because the guest per attraction ratio is so incredibly low. Imagine the worst of DHS (Osborne lights or SWW at it's peak); but, even more when SWL comes online.

Both parks will have wall-to-wall guests in the streets. DHS is simply going to have much longer lines for every service the park offers.

Don't be surprised to find out next year that other than the crush of humanity in Anaheim - people are going to very surprised by how many other things they will be able to get done in Disneyland while SWL is packed.

Still, if a person's barometer of "busy/crazy/chaos" is only how busy the streets are - I can see why they may think DHS is a better fit.

For me, the proof will be in how long the lines for everything will be once the tide rolls in.
I see what you mean.

But being a Disneyland local, and being used to crammed walkways every single day of the year, I was so surprised to find WDW so "empty" on my trip last year. You can actually enjoy walking around the parks and taking in the atmosphere. Even Pandora, with 3h lines, had room to breathe in the land. Disneyland doesn't have that anywhere.

doctornick

Regarding the crowds at DHS, in addition to updating the shows (and running them more frequently), they would do well to (1) run a daytime parade again and (2) add regular shows to the Sunset Showcase space as well as a daytime show to the Fantasmic theater. Basically, they really need to use every existing space in the park to the fullest extend to keep people entertained.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom