Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

gmajew

Premium Member
So Scott Trowbridge is the head imagineer of Star Wars land, so I thought I would check out his resume. This is what I found after a cursory search.

"Scott Trowbridge has been with Imagineering since 2007. Before that he was a lead designer at Universal Studios where he was Senior Show Producer of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride, which is still considered one of the best theme park rides fifteen years later. Trowbridge worked on the Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, The Simpsons ride, Sesame Street 4-D, Fear Factor Live and the early development of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter." -Peter Sciretta on iFilm.com

I think Spiderman is awesome, but I am not a fan of screens, so I don't know how to feel about this. Does anyone have an opinion on his involvement?

I am not a huge fan of screens either but as Steve said he does have some incredible experience... On top of that I expect Star wars to have a lot of screens with a mix of AA as I am not sure how you recreate the special effects of the movie with out using that tech.

Cesar R M

Nah. Just a follow-up to " the anticipation is building"…
I think you should have had more luck posting the " Winter is coming" meme..

yes, they will use the Force. Force this restaurant in this existing building and that shop in this existing building and Force this perspective on them.
vSA6Nyw.gif

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Oh, so this is a design firm, it's not like some other entertainment company has the rights? Disney would have to either contract this company to do the design work or buy the patent. But the question is, why did this design company file the patent in the first place? Did someone already approach them once looking for an idea for a StarWars ride?

Because they are a design firm, they were hoping to get someone who actually wanted to buy one, or license the patent. If you look at their web site you will see they also had some drawings using the same ride system with a Harry Potter theme.

Mawg

Because they are a design firm, they were hoping to get someone who actually wanted to buy one, or license the patent. If you look at their web site you will see they also had some drawings using the same ride system with a Harry Potter theme.
Got it...Not much to see here
But regardless of the specifics of the patent, it would seem Disney would have a difficult time building a dueling rollercoaster that is Star Wars themed without paying something to this company.

CinematicFusion

For the Star Wars fans out there, this might interest you. Yes off topic as far as discussing the Parks...but on target for stoking your hopes for a great Star Wars film!

Drew Struzan Force Awakens Opinions (Guy who does all the wonderful posters for all the Star Wars Films.)
"…It started about a year ago or more, a year and a half ago. I got a call from J.J. Abrams who I have never met, and he was in England shooting the film and he goes ‘Hi, I’ve always loved the work’ and Blah, Blah, Blah, sounding like you, you know, like a fanboy (laughs) And we were talking along and he just goes ‘…Well, would you?’ and I said ‘…If I was asked.’ And that was the conversation (laughs). By the end of it, there were no other words. So about a year later, we get together and meet and he says we’re using all the original people – John Williams, Kasdan, Harrison Ford’s in it, everybody’s in it and everybody’s writing and making the music and we have to have your art to make it the real thing. So, of course, I’ve got to do it for George and I’ve got to do it for Star Wars. I’ve never worked with J.J before and so we started working on it and he showed me like half the movie and it was just… a wonderful film and I know it’s going to be grand. I got to read the script and subsequently I’ve seen half of it and I can tell you and the fans this, Honest to god, it is far and away probably going to be THE BEST Star Wars you’ve ever seen. … Well it’s beautifully made and it’s a wonderful story."

star-wars-7-struzan-poster-full.jpg

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
For the Star Wars fans out there, this might interest you. Yes off topic as far as discussing the Parks...but on target for stoking your hopes for a great Star Wars film!

Drew Struzan Force Awakens Opinions (Guy who does all the wonderful posters for all the Star Wars Films.)
"…It started about a year ago or more, a year and a half ago. I got a call from J.J. Abrams who I have never met, and he was in England shooting the film and he goes ‘Hi, I’ve always loved the work’ and Blah, Blah, Blah, sounding like you, you know, like a fanboy (laughs) And we were talking along and he just goes ‘…Well, would you?’ and I said ‘…If I was asked.’ And that was the conversation (laughs). By the end of it, there were no other words. So about a year later, we get together and meet and he says we’re using all the original people – John Williams, Kasdan, Harrison Ford’s in it, everybody’s in it and everybody’s writing and making the music and we have to have your art to make it the real thing. So, of course, I’ve got to do it for George and I’ve got to do it for Star Wars. I’ve never worked with J.J before and so we started working on it and he showed me like half the movie and it was just… a wonderful film and I know it’s going to be grand. I got to read the script and subsequently I’ve seen half of it and I can tell you and the fans this, Honest to god, it is far and away probably going to be THE BEST Star Wars you’ve ever seen. … Well it’s beautifully made and it’s a wonderful story."

star-wars-7-struzan-poster-full.jpg
Yes, that whole interview is good to read.

*1023*

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Remember that the patent is on the ride system, not the X-Wing style car. That clearly is Disney/Lucasfilm property as prior art exists to this patent.

Yeah, the creator just chose some popular IP for the illustrations, the patent doesn't have anything to do with the IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom