Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PhotoDave219

What's your point? I Google'd "Kuka arm Universal exclusive" and it was two of the top three results. If you want to discredit the article, feel free to add to the previous discussion of it here (where skepticism is already expressed, but ultimately the article is validated by a resident insider): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-loses-rights-to-use-kuka-robo-arm.170974/

Well of Late, every time something is brought up, someone always references Jim Hill and what he says.

I find the people on these forums to be much more in the know than Mr. Hill.

ght

which is ironic, as disneyland fans claims that " having exclusives" is a good thing and how CarsLand should never touch Orlando.
Selfishly I would prefer each coast to have different things of equal quality because I get to visit WDW every few years and DL a couple of times a year. However, I know I am in the minority so it doesn't make sense to cater to my exact wants.

I am actually a little torn on SWL coming to DL. I think the land will be awesome but putting in DL park seems like odd placement. Plus that park can get crowded as it is, I can't imagine what it will be like once the new land opens.

Cesar R M

Yes, in 2017. And reportedly, Imagineering was heartbroken about Universal getting that exclusivity agreement.

It's a good bet that Disney is readying a Kuka arm ride.

Here's a write-up about what Disney was thinking about Kuka in 2007: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...as-well-as-kuka-s-robotic-arm-technology.aspx

Some excerpts:

...continuing...
2017 puts it right in the start of the ground breaking.
Does it mean they will be allowed to use Kuka in the Star Wars expansion if they(disney) wanted?

What was that planet covered with Lava, I think they should use that one!:rolleyes:

perfect for adults willing to re-enact their young days game. " The floor is lava! " :hilarious:

misterID

I cited Potter because it is the only multi-attraction single IP "land" that I have been to. There are only 2 in the U.S., and I haven't been to Cars Land.

And I didn't bring up Gringott's.

And given the years of the "screeeenz!" debate, where many Disney fans seem to fall outside of the "Luv 'em" category, I believe that the fact SWL appears to be heavy on the screens is relevant conversation. And again, I didn't bring Gringott's into the conversation.

Oh, and Universal knows my posting history.
My God I hate SCREENZ. That felt good. Its hard to say that in a UNI or OU thread without an atomic meltdown. Physical sets over simulators any day. Motion sickness effects my enjoyment at any park and I'll be real disappointed if any of these rides are simulators, I don't even mind screens when they're part of the attraction and not THE attraction, or the execution isn't vomit inducing. I can deal with Soarin but not The Simpsons.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
yes, incredibly massive, tall...universal really built up/vertical with DA and it seems disney is doing this x 2 with Pandora and Star Wars and no this isn't a Disney vs universal thing this is a theme park design is changing thing
That is right. I wonder though, how long will it take them?

El Grupo

I think you hit it on the head. I believe the Falcon ride will be a cross between star tours and mission space. That will be awesome if done right.

Imagine the queue going through a space hanger and then boarding the falcon.
All the detail, sights sounds of an immersive queue.

You are then given a choice...do you want to be part of the piloting team or one of the gunners of the ship.

The cockpit you choose looks straight from the film.
You strap yourself in and through a mixture of motion simulation, state of the art screens, immersive surround sound, a film score, the engine roar of the falcon you are completely transported into the fantasy.

How will they do this?
If two riders were in a gunner and two riders in the cockpit. They would need at least a mixture of 70 gunners and cockpits running.
If they had a ride that lasts 2.5 minutes and another 2.5 minutes of load and unload time. (not sure if that's realistic) You could get 1680 riders an hour.
Is that possible? How big would the building need to be to fit 70 simulators in?
It would be cool if it could be done though it sounds like it could be a lot of trouble keeping the thing running with 70 individual ride systems needing constant attention.
Keep the faith it will be a cool ride.
jjkathleen_gallery_primary.jpg

Fabulous80sHair-BluRay.jpg

I was picturing four per cockpit with multi-level loading and using a variation of the Pandora's box technology (each cockpit having an independent axis off of a cross beam allowing some unique control for each simulator unit). The windows of the cockpits would be screens.

It will be interesting to see what WDI comes up with.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

So Scott Trowbridge is the head imagineer of Star Wars land, so I thought I would check out his resume. This is what I found after a cursory search.

"Scott Trowbridge has been with Imagineering since 2007. Before that he was a lead designer at Universal Studios where he was Senior Show Producer of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride, which is still considered one of the best theme park rides fifteen years later. Trowbridge worked on the Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, The Simpsons ride, Sesame Street 4-D, Fear Factor Live and the early development of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter." -Peter Sciretta on iFilm.com

I think Spiderman is awesome, but I am not a fan of screens, so I don't know how to feel about this. Does anyone have an opinion on his involvement?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So Scott Trowbridge is the head imagineer of Star Wars land, so I thought I would check out his resume. This is what I found after a cursory search.

"Scott Trowbridge has been with Imagineering since 2007. Before that he was a lead designer at Universal Studios where he was Senior Show Producer of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride, which is still considered one of the best theme park rides fifteen years later. Trowbridge worked on the Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, The Simpsons ride, Sesame Street 4-D, Fear Factor Live and the early development of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter." -Peter Sciretta on iFilm.com

I think Spiderman is awesome, but I am not a fan of screens, so I don't know how to feel about this. Does anyone have an opinion on his involvement?

Well he's been at WDI R&D since 2007, and has been cooking up some interesting things there. So he would seem the right choice for a cutting edge addition that Star Wars Land needs to have.

His work at IOA shows a great deal of real-world experience as well.

El Grupo

Well....100 may be pushing it...
But lasers, sparks, fire...;)

Bit of stretch on my part. But, this makes me think of a concept for an attraction that was planned DHS, but never built. I believe Dick Tracy's Crime-Stoppers was supposed to put guests in the middle of the action and include an interactive element.

Fast-forward 20+ years, update technology (LPS) and the theme/setting and I suppose it could still work.

Cesar R M

You should have ridden Universal Studios Hollywood tram tour in the 80s then, lots of Cylon AAs and blaster battles with you in the middle.

For your viewing pleasure....

*1023*

I dont know why this reminds me of the third "Beverly Hills Cop" movie.
Where Axel meets the girl in the operator room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom