Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

peter11435

We still don't know how this hotel will really work. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't as structured as some thing.

Screening at hotel entry would require searching all the luggage, and then having to screen people re-entering from GE. Makes much more sense to screen as you enter the park. This can be done in an immersive manner.
We don’t know for sure what they will end up actually doing. The original plan was for a very structured experience. I too wouldn’t be surprised if plans changed.

And yeah, security screening can easily be done in an immersive way.

nickys

Premium Member
We still don't know how this hotel will really work. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't as structured as some thing.

Screening at hotel entry would require searching all the luggage, and then having to screen people re-entering from GE. Makes much more sense to screen as you enter the park. This can be done in an immersive manner.

Why would they need to search luggage???

nickys

Premium Member
We don’t know for sure what they will end up actually doing. The original plan was for a very structured experience. I too wouldn’t be surprised if plans changed.

And yeah, security screening can easily be done in an immersive way.

Is this your inside info? Because this was very hotly "debated" for weeks on the Star Wars resort thread, with absolutely no conclusion. Mainly because everyone was convinced they were right, and refused to listen to other opinions. And I don't recall anyone even hinting they knew anything from inside sources. But then I did walk away and unwatched the thread until fairly recently.

nickys

Premium Member
If the guests were going to have park access without additional screening.

Still don't understand. The guests at the resort will have been checked in. When I check in at a resort, my luggage is not searched. Why would going to SW:GE require luggage being searched? I'm not planning to take my case with me!

peter11435

Still don't understand. The guests at the resort will have been checked in. When I check in at a resort, my luggage is not searched. Why would going to SW:GE require luggage being searched? I'm not planning to take my case with me!
When you enter a park your bags are searched and you may be asked to go through a metal detector.

IF guests from the Star Wars Hotel can access Star Wars land without additional screening their bags/luggage would need to be screened upon arrival to the hotel. This is unlikely as the will most likely have an immersive security process while entering the park.

For the record the DLP hotels already do this.

peter11435

Is this your inside info? Because this was very hotly "debated" for weeks on the Star Wars resort thread, with absolutely no conclusion. Mainly because everyone was convinced they were right, and refused to listen to other opinions. And I don't recall anyone even hinting they knew anything from inside sources. But then I did walk away and unwatched the thread until fairly recently.
Disney’s original plan was for an immersive structured experience.

nickys

Premium Member
When you enter a park your bags are searched and you may be asked to go through a metal detector.

IF guests from the Star Wars Hotel can access Star Wars land without additional screening their bags/luggage would need to be screened upon arrival to the hotel. This is unlikely as the will most likely have an immersive security process while entering the park.

For the record the DLP hotels already do this.

Ah OK. But I would think that this is somewhat different. I can't imagine people on the immersive SW experience are going to want to carry a backpack with them. I guess medication and water would be about the limit.

It shouldn't be hard to do this as part of the immersion. If you travel in space I don't see why you wouldn't need some kind of "passsport control"! A quick check should be all that's required. Easy to sort out.

peter11435

Ah OK. But I would think that this is somewhat different. I can't imagine people on the immersive SW experience are going to want to carry a backpack with them. I guess medication and water would be about the limit.

It shouldn't be hard to do this as part of the immersion. If you travel in space I don't see why you wouldn't need some kind of "passsport control"! A quick check should be all that's required. Easy to sort out.
They would likely be bringing luggage and other bags with them into the hotel.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney’s original plan was for an immersive structured experience.

Yes. I know what they announced, an immersive experience for the duration of the resort stay. But nothing was mentioned about the "seemless access" to GE itself other than just that quote.

My question is do you have specific knowledge about how that access was planned, or are you extrapolating the immersion factor like everyone else? My argument was if the spaceship is docked /in orbit around GE, then nothing would necessarily preclude a jaunt to the surface of the planet.

nickys

Premium Member
They would likely be bringing luggage and other bags with them into the hotel.

Yes. Like any other guest at any other resort. Of course I'll have luggage, I'm coming from the UK, and likely from Bay Lake because I'm not wasting this experience without acclimatising first. But they don't screen luggage at a resort stay, do they? The only security checks are going into a park. And I've just agreed with you, they can still do that.

peter11435

Yes. Like any other guest at any other resort. Of course I'll have luggage, I'm coming from the UK, and likely from Bay Lake because I'm not wasting this experience without acclimatising first. But they don't screen luggage at a resort stay, do they? The only security checks are going into a park. And I've just agreed with you, they can still do that.

The point was that IF there is no security check going into the park that luggage would need to be screened upon arrival to the hotel since guests would have access to their luggage while at the hotel. This is unlikely as there will likely be a security check when the entiring the park.

They do not screen luggage at any WDW resorts. However they do at DLP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At this point we don't know if it will be open to visitors or not. Either way, having to scan your Star-Wars-y magic band before entering the path to GE and even going through a security screening wouldn't really break the immersion if it was themed appropriately.

Why would they need to search luggage???

They scan both you and your luggage when you get onto Star Tours!!

Goofyernmost

Eh? The only people allowed into the resort will be those who booked the immersive experience. You'll check in as normal, in person, when they will verify who you are. You will have some kind of Star Wars-y magic band gadget that will work just like a magic band. And however they have access to the park you will have your own special entrance. Scan your gadget as you leave the hotel or at the gate.

How on earth is that some kind of security risk? Or were you forgetting the resort is not open to visitors?
It depends, will there be restrictions on who is allowed to pay the price to get into the hotel/immersion experience other then money? When you check into a hotel do they go through your luggage before you are assigned a room? Why couldn't someone with evil intentions decide to be Darth for a day and bring contraband into the hotel with them? Then if they don't have the same security check as everyone else that enters the park, who knows just how far and how diluted the Star War experience can turn out to be.

Now realize that I am just going by what people have suggested here. None of it is a reality as of yet. But, the simple thought that they can just book a package at the Star Wars Hotel and will not have any concerns or need a ticket (not the important part, btw) or go through security yet can just stroll right in with anything they want to, should be of some concern, if indeed, that is what is going to happen. I don't know! All I said was, I can think of a number of less the "have a magical day" scenario's that can crop up.

HauntedMansionFLA

5/18/2018
499D0445-1AFC-449E-A3F7-98141E52E766.jpeg
499D0445-1AFC-449E-A3F7-98141E52E766.jpeg
A8F87DB9-388A-4719-A768-6F81A561C78D.jpeg

doctornick

I really think people are overthinking this. Whether the resort has only planned/scheduled excursions to SW:GE or you could go at will, it would seem to be it would be simple and easily immersive to have both admission and security at a point between leaving the hotel and entering the park. Security could be simple: the First Order is checking for contraband being smuggled or there has been spy activity in the area. To really sell it, they could have a live action Storm Trooper or a video screen of a Storm Trooper "overseeing" the process.

As for admission, would depend on how they manage entering the park but as some have mentioned, it's trivial to have a magic band or similar device to include your entrance media. It would certainly fit in with the environment to have some sort of pass to be able to visit Batuu and they'd just be confirming it at the gate.

If there is a themed/enclosed passageway to the park, no reason they couldn't have a park gate similar to that between the Grand Californian and DCA inside the resort. They just could limit the use of that gate to only those at the SW resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom