Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like land being cleared for the hotel as well.

Do you know if that's the exact plot where the clearing is where the resort will go? As far as us outsiders know for sure, it's going to be a big sand pile.

Based on the permits and an educated guess, the below in red shows the resort, black is parking, and blue is a new pond...

1526578681768.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Love the new pictures! So, a question: It appears that the access road from behind/between SWGE and TSL will still be needed for backstage access to some areas. Do we know how will guests traverse that crossing between SWGE and TSL over that access road?

They'll just cross it like an intersection in the TSL side then go through a tunnel into SWL. If, at the intersection, they look left or right, they'll see either gates or the double offset walls that normally blocks off back stage areas.

1526579358006.png

Stripes

@marni1971 Looking at the latest imagery of DL from Nearmap, and comparing the two lands, it looks like the small courtyard on the lower-right edge of the below building won't fit in the Orlando version. Do you know if that's the case? If so, any plans to replicate that somewhere else in the Orlando version? I feel like those small crevices really add to the depth and discovery of a land.
image.png

For context:
image.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 Looking at the latest imagery of DL from Nearmap, and comparing the two lands, it looks like the small courtyard on the lower-right edge of the below building won't fit in the Orlando version. Do you know if that's the case? If so, any plans to replicate that somewhere else in the Orlando version? I feel like those small crevices really add to the depth and discovery of a land.
View attachment 284417
For context:
View attachment 284418
Orlando should be a verbatim copy of that.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member

Here are the two areas compared. Left is from Bioreconstruct on 5/4 (source). Looks like there is plenty of space on the left for the courtyard (and half of it is already there).

courtyard.jpg

winstongator

There's been a lot of discussion about the rides in Galaxy's Edge, but not a lot about the interactive elements of the land. I found two videos from around 2014-2015, the first before the Star Wars lands were announced, where Scott Trowbridge talks about what WDI's been working on in an attempt to enable guests to take a more active role in Disney's parks. They state similar things, but the first video is much more in depth. The relevant material starts around 25:35 in the first video. The whole second video is pretty cool. I can't wait to see what they do with things like Story Engine in Star Wars land!

I like watching Westworld and letting my imagination run wild. I was talking to friends about a PG version of Westworld for GE last summer and some were weirded out by it. I love how the CMs in WWoHP attempt to stay in-character. It will be tougher in GE, but potentially much more rewarding.

phi2134

I like watching Westworld and letting my imagination run wild. I was talking to friends about a PG version of Westworld for GE last summer and some were weirded out by it. I love how the CMs in WWoHP attempt to stay in-character. It will be tougher in GE, but potentially much more rewarding.
It will be interesting to see if they dont constantly talk about the rebellion/empire while they are in character. There is so much more in the Star War's universe besides stormtroopers and jedi. From the shops and the marketplace, I think they will have a good amount of ancillary characters and common people/"aliens" to keep the integrity of the planet. I do think it will take a good amount of effort and research for the cast members to really pull this off, but i think its possible.

djkidkaz

Do you know if that's the exact plot where the clearing is where the resort will go? As far as us outsiders know for sure, it's going to be a big sand pile.

Based on the permits and an educated guess, the below in red shows the resort, black is parking, and blue is a new pond...

View attachment 284406

I feel like that resort will be too far away for guests to walk to SWGE and it would also ruin the experience of being in the SW Universe if you have to cross a parking lot. I wonder if they would do something like Harry potter where you take a tram with video screens as windows and get dropped off at a special back entrance to SWGE?

nickys

Premium Member
I feel like that resort will be too far away for guests to walk to SWGE and it would also ruin the experience of being in the SW Universe if you have to cross a parking lot. I wonder if they would do something like Harry potter where you take a tram with video screens as windows and get dropped off at a special back entrance to SWGE?

Too far away?

Really? Across that parking lot is "too far to walk"? Unless you have a disability or some other impairment to your ability to walk, anyone should manage to walk that far. :rolleyes:o_O:banghead:

Now I agree that you won't be literally walking across a parking lot, but I'm sure they can come up with some ideas - a tunnel, walkway with berms either side, a Wedway type system - to the special entrance for resort guests.

Slowjack

That was a prediction I made in a previous post. Disney has described the transition from resort to park as "seamless," which to my mind rules out any kind of walkway.

winstongator

That was a prediction I made in a previous post. Disney has described the transition from resort to park as "seamless," which to my mind rules out any kind of walkway.
How long would the walk be from one side of the death star to the other? How about the length of a Super Star Destroyer?

Now keeping the walk themed. That's the magic.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

It'd be about .2 - .3 miles if you can walk in one of the back stage passages and get to the Falcon Ride. For comparison, from the front of Epcot to the American Pavilion, it is .85 miles.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Assuming the resort is going where we think it is, they could create an enclosed connection like this which is about 600 feet, a fraction of the distance from the front gate to Galaxy's Edge.

1526662107389.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom