Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jobacca

I posted this over on the Disneyland thread,but wanted to crosspost it here and see what you guys think. Apparently the recent Star Wars Nite at Disneyland was a disaster. People were complaining of LONG lines,sold out merch,cast members who had no idea what was supposed to be going on or where,and apparently some of the guests were even made fun of by CM's for showing up in costumes. I feel like these events and the May the 4th events are the parks way of having "trial runs" before GALAXIES EDGE opens to see how and what they need to do to manage the fans...so far its sounding like they are woefully unprepared(at least on the West Coast). If they cant even pull off something like a Star Wars Nite without complaints,whats gonna happen when 10x the number of guests show up?

GlacierGlacier

I posted this over on the Disneyland thread,but wanted to crosspost it here and see what you guys think. Apparently the recent Star Wars Nite at Disneyland was a disaster. People were complaining of LONG lines,sold out merch,cast members who had no idea what was supposed to be going on or where,and apparently some of the guests were even made fun of by CM's for showing up in costumes. I feel like these events and the May the 4th events are the parks way of having "trial runs" before GALAXIES EDGE opens to see how and what they need to do to manage the fans...so far its sounding like they are woefully unprepared(at least on the West Coast). If they cant even pull off something like a Star Wars Nite without complaints,whats gonna happen when 10x the number of guests show up?
There's a difference between a one-night event in a traditionally 'locals' park and a brand new permanent (as permanent as Disney attractions can be) addition to a park on each coast (with a mini one in Paris). Operations will learn from this.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I rode Pirates of the Caribbean last week in Shanghai. Hands down this is the greatest ride Disney have ever produced. Just a simply stunning mix of live animatronics and screens. The effect was stunning, and it was a good lengthy attraction.

My point is - will one of the new Star Wars attractions be a version of this Shanghai Pirates ride?

How does that compare to the boat ride at Pandora? Because that let me down quite a bit.

In other news, I've heard the autonomous droids have been cut from SWGE opening day, due to time constraints.

Disney has done a ton of hiring, research, and patent work in this area. It's disappointing they couldn't get it done to schedule.

Well PAndora opened and they just added the mech suit dude.

It only took a whole year. I expected them to have Na'vi people meet and greet, "grassy" look on the asphalt when you walk around, and more "Avatar" noise and theme sounds in the land. Maybe a light and magic with animatronic show on that floating thing where you can see animals and blue avatars jumping around and whatnot.

Maybe they'll add those along with a new store, restaurant, and ride for Phase 2, but it has brought my hype to SWGE down a bit. I honestly - naively - expected to have droids walking/rolling around. Especially after some of the videos that I saw online with Disney having some droids around Disneyland. I expected R2D2, C3PO, K2SO, BB8, etc along with drones flying around. Projections with AT AT and x-wing fighters. We are getting none of that. Maybe in 2020 we'll have a dude walking around as C3PO. I think the land is gonna be as dead as Avatar and maybe it'll mature into something very immersive in 5 or so years like Avatar probably will. I honestly don't remember how Potter was when it opened, except every CM was dressed as wizards already.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My point is - will one of the new Star Wars attractions be a version of this Shanghai Pirates ride?
How does that compare to the boat ride at Pandora? Because that let me down quite a bit.

The 'battle escape' ride in SWL will be an LPS (Local Positioning System). Look for YouTube videos of Mystic Manor or Ratatouille for the system. The SW version will be plussed by huge sets (full size AT-ATs, dozens and dozens of Storm Troopers and going to a second level) as well as top notch pre-shows.

While on YouTube, look up the Shanghai PotC for the system used. The boats are literally pulled around on tracks, which is why they can maneuver so adeptly. Na'vi River Journey is just a floaty boat propelled by the current and constrained by guide rails.

NRJ is indeed underwhelming for any wait more then 20 minutes, let alone over an hour. If it only had a 10 minute wait or less, it'd be a fun lark to hop onto.

rocketraccoon

The transition tunnel looks pretty nice!

pr66TXE.jpg

drod1985

That initial link adds the "forums." prefix to the URL for me, so here's one without it.

I've seen a few people reference a plot of land that could be used for a third attraction in the future. Is that in reference to the area currently housing the green buildings or somewhere else?

ThatMouse

I feel like Star Tours must be going away in a couple years. You come out of Tatooine Traders, into the city, and then back into Star Wars land? Tatooine is behind a wall now. Makes no sense.

drod1985

As a greedy Star Wars fan I'd love a way to connect Star Tours to Galaxy's Edge as was discussed a few pages back. Retool each ride to end with the Batuu segment and let the attraction's exit serve as an alternate entrance to GE. But, I also recognize that presents other problems for theming/logistics, and that's a lot of space dedicated to Star Wars in a single park.

Once Star Tours reaches its inevitable end it'd be cool if the Marvel rights got sorted out and they could re-theme it as the Iron Man Experience from from HKDL. I could see that blending into Grand Avenue well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom