Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TiggerDad

I imagine some within TWDC will want SW:GE open by the end of September 2019.

This is only a guess on my part - There will be a limited number of non-FP guests allowed to queue up for the ride for at least the first few months. I don't know how that would handled, but it won't be well-received, obviously. As has been said, there's going to be a ton of people wanting to ride these two rides. With that crush of people wanting to ride, it could easily result in lines that make FoP and NRJ wait times seem short by comparison. Throw in some unexpected downtime along with the expected huge lines and DHS Guest Services may be a very busy place well into 2020. :(

Makes ya wonder why they didn't just bite the bullet ( :greedy: ) and build a third ride, doesn't it?
While I completely agree with the value of more rides from a customer perspective, I think we are missing the impact of a third ride on capacity. Everyone is going to want to do ALL of the SW rides. If there are two rides, you could maybe knock them both out in 4 hours and be "done" with SWL and move on to something else. (Ignore the super fans who will be there from rope drop until forcibly removed). But add a third ride and now SW takes 6 hours (or more with lines). Now you can only cycle through two groups of guests in 12 hours instead of 3. You just cut your SWL capacity by 50%. To maximize how many guests can experience SWL, they need to cycle them in and out quickly. The more there is to do, the harder that is.

Jones14

While I completely agree with the value of more rides from a customer perspective, I think we are missing the impact of a third ride on capacity. Everyone is going to want to do ALL of the SW rides. If there are two rides, you could maybe knock them both out in 4 hours and be "done" with SWL and move on to something else. (Ignore the super fans who will be there from rope drop until forcibly removed). But add a third ride and now SW takes 6 hours (or more with lines). Now you can only cycle through two groups of guests in 12 hours instead of 3. You just cut your SWL capacity by 50%. To maximize how many guests can experience SWL, they need to cycle them in and out quickly. The more there is to do, the harder that is.
I get what you're saying, but that also works the other way. Adding a third ride means that the land could have soaked up another thousand or so people per hour before it became too crowded to handle. It also would have lessened the burden of FP distribution, because, even assuming that they got rid of the tiers (a laughably bad idea at this point), it would have made it impossible to get passes for all of the Star Wars rides.

With that said, I don't fear for FP distribution all that much. Mickey, Big Bird, and Battle are supposed to be higher (I think) hourly capacities than Flight of Passage, and Slinky will still be a victory for most guests. I'd imagine that Toy Story Mania gets bumped to Tier 2 with the opening of Star Wars/Mickey, and Tower, Rock'n'Rollercoaster, and Star Tours aren't going to stop drawing crowds, so they'll do just fine as consolation prizes.

Where the true suffering will take place is in the Standby lines after those Fastpasses are used up.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Until the new trees planted along the ROA at Disneyland grow in, they seem to be using the excuse that the SWL mountains will fit in the frontier setting. I'm wondering if they'll pull a similar excuse at DHS and say it's the "hollywood hills" in the distance
I don't think so, because they are actively changing the theme of DHS.

doctornick

So nothing of true importance then. Can you repeat this over in the Disneyland thread? They’re having serious delusions of grandeaur and I’d love to see their little ego bubble get busted ;)

Also, potentially in DHS' favor... we've been told that the berm between TSL/SW:GE for DHS is considered potential expansion space for the Star Wars. I don't think that DL has the same potential future use space adjacent to the land (there is some next to DL's SW:GE earmarked for a Frozen ride for Fantasyland) so possibly in the distant future DHS might be larger in terms of stuff than DL.

Or I could have misunderstood what insiders have suggested about the land.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Berm's got trees.

DUf_BwfVAAAVKob.jpg:large

AEfx

It’s not set in stone but it has a lot of traction.

Have any more beans to spill...or, er, slightly dribble out...about it?

I really would like to know what ship(s) are under consideration, or any other little details. In some ways, it's just as exciting a prospect of the land itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom