Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

No Name

Insiders have posted that the queue will be an attraction before the pre-show and actual ride itself.

Okay? That's absolutely wonderful, but does not raise hourly capacity in any way.

I don't know why new major E-tickets aren't being built to handle major crowds. There are plenty of practical solutions. Larger vehicles, faster loading processes, more stations, duplicate rides, etc. To build one of this century's most anticipated rides with a less-than-stellar capacity is just foolish.

Cesar R M

Not bad, but not amazing either. It's going to be a madhouse.
I wonder if we will get potter levels of attendance. Where the line backed out all the way to outside the park entrance.

True that! Forbidden Journey is an amazing, high capacity technological wonder. Every time I ride it I always end up thinking about what could have been if Disney had the Kuka tech first. But then again, if it wasn't for what Uni did with the Potterverse

But they were in absolutely zero rush in developing something as complex as that until Universal did.
I still remember (was it marni?)
That the plan for Disney for potter, was just Buzz with wands.

HauntedMansionFLA

Okay? That's absolutely wonderful, but does not raise hourly capacity in any way.

I don't know why new major E-tickets aren't being built to handle major crowds. There are plenty of practical solutions. Larger vehicles, faster loading processes, more stations, duplicate rides, etc. To build one of this century's most anticipated rides with a less-than-stellar capacity is just foolish.
Just stating what has been said. If someone is going to wait a few hours to ride an attraction, I guess entertain them on the way. I agree with your point. There should have been several more rides in one of the most anticipated lands ever built. at least one more E-ticket along with several C and D rides with the ride capacity to keep the crowds somewhat manageable. Opening will be a madhouse.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1. Who says the rides needed to be thrill rides?
2. Can't is much different from don't. Disney could and should prioritize heightened hourly capacities for new rides. They just don't. In recent years, they continually choose to build rides with woefully low capacity compared to demand that should have been easily predicted. Take rides from DCA and move them to WDW without upping capacity? Absurd. Mine Train. Frozen. Pandora. Toy Story Land. SWL. All far too low of a capacity for the demand. Either build individual rides with higher capacity or build more than two rides per land.

And certainly don't remove high-capacity rides and replace them with lower-capacity ones!!! Only WDW manages to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for marginal shifts in capacity.
The general public seems to. I would personally love 30 minute epic attractions like Horizons and WoM, but it would seem that John Q Public is not happy unless an attraction has them going 200 mph with their hair on fire.

yeti

It's funny you mention Potter as the biggest loss to Disney Parks wasn't the loss of the Potter franchise... it was the loss of the Kuka robocoaster exclusivity and access. Forbidden Journey's Kuka RV tech is INCREDIBLE in its reliability and capacity. The three Potter's don't even sweat at going beyond 2500 pph and the uptime is incredible. Most of the downtime for them aren't for the RV and instead of the projection dome sync or debris in the ride path. Then you add in the seamless disability access and it's an incredible marvel of modern theme park engineering. A true 21st century omnimover.

Is Disney still prohibited from using that ride system?

gmajew

Premium Member
1. Who says the rides needed to be thrill rides?
2. Can't is much different from don't. Disney could and should prioritize heightened hourly capacities for new rides. They just don't. In recent years, they continually choose to build rides with woefully low capacity compared to demand that should have been easily predicted. Take rides from DCA and move them to WDW without upping capacity? Absurd. Mine Train. Frozen. Pandora. Toy Story Land. SWL. All far too low of a capacity for the demand. Either build individual rides with higher capacity or build more than two rides per land.

And certainly don't remove high-capacity rides and replace them with lower-capacity ones!!! Only WDW manages to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for marginal shifts in capacity.

I really think if Disney put both rides at Height restrictions we would have a riot... To many little kids love star wars... Got to have rides that they can ride in this area.... Really hope Disney finds a way to make it work to please everyone as this land has more pressure then any in a long long time to knock it out of the park.

Goofyernmost

Because it is like everything else. Huge crowds tend to lessen over time. They don't want to get stuck with another Imagination or Horizon that started out with 2 hour + waits only to turn into a walk on in 5 years and have a whole bunch of wasted technology.

ToTBellHop

Fixed that :D
I think 1800 is too low. DHS averages 27000 guests/day. It should be the goal that all can experience the headliners. Especially in a park with relatively few attractions.

So about 2300 guests/hour.

Rides should be developed to meet anticipated demand. Even taking into account kids excluded by height requirements (and I would anticipate crowd increases will negate that anyway), the planned capacities are inadequate.

peter11435

I think 1800 is too low. DHS averages 27000 guests/day. It should be the goal that all can experience the headliners. Especially in a park with relatively few attractions.

So about 2300 guests/hour.

Rides should be developed to meet anticipated demand. Even taking into account kids excluded by height requirements (and I would anticipate crowd increases will negate that anyway), the planned capacities are inadequate.
It should be the goal but it's virtually never actually accomplished. Even some of the highest capacity attractions such as Pirates can't accomododate all of an average days attendance.

But I agree 100% they need to shoot higher when it comes to capacity, especially for attractions that will have the type of demand expected for Star Wars.

ToTBellHop

It should be the goal but it's virtually never actually accomplished. Even some of the highest capacity attractions such as Pirates can't accomododate all of an average days attendance.

But I agree 100% they need to shoot higher when it comes to capacity, especially for attractions that will have the type of demand expected for Star Wars.
Not at MK, but DHS is in a different ballpark due to lack of alternative attractions. MK has enough attractions to fill two days and most E tickets can accommodate every interested guest once in those two days. Everyone should be able to ride Pirates and Splash if they wish. DHS is firmly a one-day park and I see nothing that will change that. Headliners should accommodate a day's worth of tall-enough guests each day. These are the rides Disney sells vacations on and guests have a reasonable expectation to ride.

This is one thing that separates Disney from Six Flags. That inclusiveness and forethought. Six Flags will build a coaster with an hourly capacity of 500 and market the hell out of it knowing many guests won't have the pleasure of riding. Because screw you, says Six Flags.

rocketraccoon

m9i7129.jpg

m9i7089.jpg

q3v6502.jpg

via http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/1...e-according-to-disneys-model-at-the-d23-expo/

Want it in absurd quality goodness? Use these links (4+ MB each!)

http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/m9i7129.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/m9i7089.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/q3v6502.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom