Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

peter11435

After reading your post I started researching this. Very interesting stuff actually. It seems only a handful of rides go over 3000 riders per hour (or even get close to 3000 really) and these are the Haunted Mansion, Small World, POTC type rides. I don't know how accurate the numbers are that people have listed online but from what i found, it seems like the capacity for the two Star Wars rides isn't really that bad after all. Still gonna be 6 hour waits but I've waited that long for things I love a lot less than Star Wars (darn you Harry Potter!).

Even the rides you listed can't hit 3000.

HauntedMansionFLA

Sure I'm in. It's got my big trees that's for sure. But for the ride can we all at some point throw rocks and sticks at heavily armored Imperial forces... Ok racing speeder bikes through the forest of Endor would be better but at some point I want to at least swing from a vine. :joyfull:
I've always thought that SWL should have used the land where TSL is going in with at least six E-ticket rides. The crowds are going to be insane. I'm surprised they didn't Star Wars into EPCOT.

bclane

I've always thought that SWL should have used the land where TSL is going in with at least six E-ticket rides. The crowds are going to be insane. I'm surprised they didn't Star Wars into EPCOT.
I agree, crowds will be completely insane. Sorry to everyone wanting to visit but I will be contributing to the wait times. My prediction is that it is only a matter of time before Star Wars finds its way into Epcot but I am just basing that on how how popular I think SWE will be. I can even see them trying to fit something like Coruscant or Jedha or Theed, etc. into World Showcase. It doesn't really fit, but I'd still throw my money at them as fast as I can (and probably many others) and I think they know that.

DisneyRoy

I agree, crowds will be completely insane. Sorry to everyone wanting to visit but I will be contributing to the wait times. My prediction is that it is only a matter of time before Star Wars finds its way into Epcot but I am just basing that on how how popular I think SWE will be. I can even see them trying to fit something like Coruscant or Jedha or Theed, etc. into World Showcase. It doesn't really fit, but I'd still throw my money at them as fast as I can (and probably many others) and I think they know that.

Or maybe Disney will finally understand how big this will be and dedicate a fifth park in the swamps to it.

Jahona

I plan on being there as well.

As much of a pain in the you know what the lines and crowds were at Celebration, there is just something awesome about being there with so many other like minded people. I got to see John Williams "shush" several thousand people and that moment was worth every hour I spent in line.

I do however pitty the random tourist that shows up ot DHS that day completely unaware that SWL is opening.

A few friends and I are planning on opening day at WDW. It's going to be a zoo and I'll have a tablet with every Star Wars movie on it to pass the time. It's going to be an experience one way or another.

JediMasterMatt

MiceChat said in their article this morning that both attractions are in the 1500-1800 range.

This is the correct range.

Yeah, but it's opening in Anaheim first, they have the space to handle the huge crowds, right?

Just like most "extreme" days at the Parks, is it better to be in the park that has better capacity or better crowd control? I know that busy is busy; but, all things being equal - a busy day in Disneyland would at least allow you to get more attractions done than the malnourished park soon to be known as DHS. I can't fathom what wait times will look like there.

I think that's terrible. These rides should have been devised with a 3000 guest/hour capacity.

Like they used to build.

Did they learn nothing from Soarin' and Midway Mania? Watch as the space reserved for a 3rd Star Wars ride gets taken over by a new Battle ride track.

1600 is not that bad and is comparable to most high end thrill attractions at theme parks. The use of the trackless system in Alcatraz was the driving factor for it and the kinetic motion it needed and the use of a cockpit simulator for Big Bird's level of immersion is what was the determining factor for the number of turntables in use. More turntables wouldn't have fit into DL unfortunately. See below for the only real new RV tech in the last two decades that may have been able to help with at least the type of story Alcatraz wanted to tell.

I would have to think very few. About the only ride system that comes to mind that can get close to that is an omnimover.

After reading your post I started researching this. Very interesting stuff actually. It seems only a handful of rides go over 3000 riders per hour (or even get close to 3000 really) and these are the Haunted Mansion, Small World, POTC type rides. I don't know how accurate the numbers are that people have listed online but from what i found, it seems like the capacity for the two Star Wars rides isn't really that bad after all. Still gonna be 6 hour waits but I've waited that long for things I love a lot less than Star Wars (darn you Harry Potter!).

It's funny you mention Potter as the biggest loss to Disney Parks wasn't the loss of the Potter franchise... it was the loss of the Kuka robocoaster exclusivity and access. Forbidden Journey's Kuka RV tech is INCREDIBLE in its reliability and capacity. The three Potter's don't even sweat at going beyond 2500 pph and the uptime is incredible. Most of the downtime for them aren't for the RV and instead of the projection dome sync or debris in the ride path. Then you add in the seamless disability access and it's an incredible marvel of modern theme park engineering. A true 21st century omnimover.

bclane

This is the correct range.

Just like most "extreme" days at the Parks, is it better to be in the park that has better capacity or better crowd control? I know that busy is busy; but, all things being equal - a busy day in Disneyland would at least allow you to get more attractions done than the malnourished park soon to be known as DHS. I can't fathom what wait times will look like there.

1600 is not that bad and is comparable to most high end thrill attractions at theme parks. The use of the trackless system in Alcatraz was the driving factor for it and the kinetic motion it needed and the use of a cockpit simulator for Big Bird's level of immersion is what was the determining factor for the number of turntables in use. More turntables wouldn't have fit into DL unfortunately. See below for the only real new RV tech in the last two decades that may have been able to help with at least the type of story Alcatraz wanted to tell.

It's funny you mention Potter as the biggest loss to Disney Parks wasn't the loss of the Potter franchise... it was the loss of the Kuka robocoaster exclusivity and access. Forbidden Journey's Kuka RV tech is INCREDIBLE in its reliability and capacity. The three Potter's don't even sweat at going beyond 2500 pph and the uptime is incredible. Most of the downtime for them aren't for the RV and instead of the projection dome sync or debris in the ride path. Then you add in the seamless disability access and it's an incredible marvel of modern theme park engineering. A true 21st century omnimover.
True that! Forbidden Journey is an amazing, high capacity technological wonder. Every time I ride it I always end up thinking about what could have been if Disney had the Kuka tech first. But then again, if it wasn't for what Uni did with the Potterverse I don't see Disney bringing us Pandora or SWE (at least not as big as they are going with it) so I am also extremely thankful. They really lit a fire under Disney's rear end and I hope they keep trying to one up each other for decades to come.

Goofyernmost

Quite true. a 3k an hour capacity attraction would require a load time of just over 1 second per passenger. While theoretically possible for something like an omnimover, I doubt we would ever see a single track omnimover consistently hit that number.
Picture this... the entire population of Olympic sprinters arriving at the Haunted Mansion at the same time. They might be able to make the one second time standard. However if people with physical infirmities were just left to fall and be eaten up by the moving sidewalk... it could be done again. There would be a heck of a mess to clean up at night, but, a small price to pay for a shortened wait time.

bclane

Picture this... the entire population of Olympic sprinters arriving at the Haunted Mansion at the same time. They might be able to make the one second time standard. However if people with physical infirmities were just left to fall and be eaten up by the moving sidewalk... it could be done again. There would be a heck of a mess to clean up at night, but, a small price to pay for a shortened wait time.
Lol! I get your point and had a good laugh in the process. :) However, I will say that the cool thing about loading guests at Haunted Mansion is that they usually have multiple groups on the moving walkway at the same time all getting into the cars (simultaneously) which gives it a very efficient hourly ride capacity. Obviously there are also times when no one is on the moving walkway when someone wasn't paying attention or whatever and stopped the line's progress. Other rides have multiple load areas with ride vehicles that all join the same track once loaded. So it really doesn't have to be one person every 1.2 seconds into a single ride vehicle on a single track when you factor these things in. But yeah, again, 3000 per hour would be really fast and quite difficult to maintain in the real world.

RSoxNo1

I think that's terrible. These rides should have been devised with a 3000 guest/hour capacity.

Like they used to build.

Did they learn nothing from Soarin' and Midway Mania? Watch as the space reserved for a 3rd Star Wars ride gets taken over by a new Battle ride track.
I think with the third theater/track neither of those rides are hitting 2000. 1800+ should be the target for any Eticket.

ToTBellHop

1. Who says the rides needed to be thrill rides?
2. Can't is much different from don't. Disney could and should prioritize heightened hourly capacities for new rides. They just don't. In recent years, they continually choose to build rides with woefully low capacity compared to demand that should have been easily predicted. Take rides from DCA and move them to WDW without upping capacity? Absurd. Mine Train. Frozen. Pandora. Toy Story Land. SWL. All far too low of a capacity for the demand. Either build individual rides with higher capacity or build more than two rides per land.

And certainly don't remove high-capacity rides and replace them with lower-capacity ones!!! Only WDW manages to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for marginal shifts in capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom