Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

AEfx

My guess is if they open simultaneously that they would make it a global event with something at every park. Purely a guess.

Nah, they are going to do what they did with the D23 trailer. They were able to show this massive Star Wars land and then end on the dual logos of WDW/DLR. It was a marketing wet dream come true. They can plaster national airwaves with dual advertising for both parks, which is not only economical, it's going to be very very effective in getting people to go since they have two options at either end of the country, as well as eliminate casual guest confusion (which would undoubtedly happen if they were only doing this on one coast).

It really is a remarkable moment, and I just don't see them wasting it.

AEfx

Mix of screens and AA's around a trackless vehicle with more motion than Rat/Mystic Manor.

I'm really looking forward to that part. I know people go all ga ga over the trackless rides at other parks, but I just don't think they are used to anywhere near their potential. Especially at Mystic Manor. It actually hurts there more than I think it helps, to be honest - the big bare floors make it a lot less creepy than a traditional HM ride vehicle. Rat is a more effective use of it, but most rides I've seen so far it's more of a gimmick than anything else, really.

In this case, it is very appropriate to the IP, so I am excited.

AEfx

I don't know who said that it will have 150 AA's, but I find it hard to believe that a land which just opened with a rumored cost of ~$1B has exactly ONE AA, but a single attraction in SWL is going to have 150?

It would be great if it even had 25 AA's of varying degrees. 150 AA's in a single attraction, in an era where there are more screens and less AA's in new attractions...it would be AWESOME, but call me skeptical.

While on one hand, I will join the skepticism parade - I'll believe it once I am on my way out the exit after my first ride - on the other, I certainly think it's possible, especially since so many would probably be Stormtroopers and droids.

Plus, not to mention - this is Star Wars. The most demanded IP on the planet of all time. If there ever were a time to get off the pot and do something, it's now for Star Wars. Disney will likely never build another new land that has this much inherent potential to draw in and amaze guests. If Disney goes big, they have a potential to impress people like it's the 1980's all over again and secure a new generation of fans and future repeat guests they can dine out on for a decade or two to come. The general public hasn't been "excited" about WDW/DLR in a long time, that is one cap that Universal stole out from under them. This is their chance to snatch it back.

jt04

Jedi Academy moving to the nearby theater is new info. Our insiders say it will be in SWL itself. And if they do that in DHS, then where will it go in DL?

This rumor makes sense. And would increase the likelihood they would keep Star Tours and eventually incorporate Muppet Square in a hostile takeover by the First Order.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Jedi Academy moving to the nearby theater is new info. Our insiders say it will be in SWL itself. And if they do that in DHS, then where will it go in DL?
As of now the academy's future is unknown. It has to surely move to the new land but I've seen no indictation of this.

It was originally moving to the theatre when SWL was on Indy.

the.dreamfinder

As of now the academy's future is unknown. It has to surely move to the new land but I've seen no indictation of this.

It was originally moving to the theatre when SWL was on Indy.
Does Jedi even mesh with SWE? It seems like everything pre SWE is being tolerated for the time being by Lucasfilm. They've already cut down on things like Jedi Mickey and Darth Goofy and "season of the force" is filler.

DisneyDrew

Star Wars Land has gone vertical!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170604-093642.png
    Screenshot_20170604-093642.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_20170604-093642.png
    Screenshot_20170604-093642.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 181

deWild

That is the way of the "Land". Cars, Potter, Avatar... so much of the space has to be used for the immersive theming to make you feel like you're in a 'world.'

But what happens when Disney/Universal have no space left to expand within the land? Universal is rumored to trash the Dueling Dragons at some point to expand, but in Disney's case with Star Wars, it appears as if SWL will be somewhat short on future expansion pads (save for Muppets, but that's staying for the near future). This got me thinking... If Disney/Universal come to this point, when will they start building, dare I say it, up?

New York City ran out of land to expand, so skyscrapers became the norm. In a few certain cases (looking at you, Dubai!) artificial, manmade islands have been created. I realize that Disney has plenty of land in Orlando, but when you look at the area immediately surrounding SWL, future expansion seems thin on the ground. Would they ever consider building large, themed facades/buildings that immerse the guest yet also serve a a purpose for entertainment? Maybe they already do this, but I can't think of a great example at the moment.

For example, let's say you have a roller coaster like RnR with a launched piece of track. Wouldn't it be feasible to suggest that by reworking parts of the existing structure, Disney could have guests walk up a path, over (or under, I guess) the launch portion of RnR and into a new themed land, all without ever noticing that you just walked through an existing attraction? Sorry if I'm confusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom