Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PorterRedkey

"The company said Saturday that groundbreaking for the “Star Wars” lands will be in 2017."

Worth repeating since it's an often asked question.
I know this has to do with reducing the CapEx money being spread out over many years, but when the CapEx expenditure is at historic lows, (back me up on this @ParentsOf4), you would think they could build a little quicker. I think this announcement was just to shut up fans who kept asking when Disney will build their Star Wars land. A 2017 start seems to indicate a 2020 opening date if there current schedule is followed. Another project that is announced 5-years before completion.

SirLink

That's exactly it. These new plans simply evolved and grew from the original plan that was rejected. They are still using the same area.

Again have you verified it with multiple sources... @marni1971, @Lee, @PhotoDave219 couldn't get up to date plans of Star Wars yet someone has risked their multiple NDAs to provide you with evidence. I'm stating your sources might not have the most up to date information.

All I have to say is that this is going to be one small park while construction is underway. DHS used to be considered a half-day park and before long you will be able to knock it out in 2 hours on a low crowd level day. Guys, I am sorry but this utilization of current park space makes no sense to me so I am going back to believing there will be a major expansion of space.

ToTBellHop

This was posted 20 pages ago.

The SW area will be built using the existing buildings around Echo Lake. The dark areas are the attractions/guest areas that will be removed. Everything else is simply being re-themed/skinned.

The original plans were to just add the Falcon and convert Backlot Express to the Cantina and, rather than being truly innovative, they just expanded the area to include all of Echo Lake.

When it was explained to me, I was shocked that you can basically see the entire layout in the concept art. The layout is completely consistent in each piece of concept art.

The only thing not known was where exactly the second attraction was going, or whether it was new or just an updated Star Tours.

View attachment 106273
View attachment 106272 View attachment 106271 View attachment 106270
Here's a question that should be easy to answer: if the Falcon ride is Star Tours and the LPS E ticket overtakes Indy as we expect, is the land 14 acres? If not, we can deduce that the Falcon ride is a separate (novel) ride, most likely with a queue snaking between Star Tours and the Cantina.

Mawg

I'd be pretty ticked if re-theming Star Tours is one of the new attractions and all we are really getting is one more attraction. I'm really hoping Star Tours stays and they add two more attractions for a total of 3. It it's a total of two and they are re-theming star tours then at Disneyland, they would basically have to rebuild Star Tours in the new land.

ctrlaltdel

Here's a question that should be easy to answer: if the Falcon ride is Star Tours and the LPS E ticket overtakes Indy as we expect, is the land 14 acres? If not, we can deduce that the Falcon ride is a separate (novel) ride, most likely with a queue snaking between Star Tours and the Cantina.
This is my thought. The site that makes the most sense for the Falcon Attraction is the ? site on the at the southeastern edge of SWL. That's the one area of the concept art that we can't really see, assuming it does line up where Ignohippo's source says.

PorterRedkey

My question is... If Anaheim is getting 14 acres of Star Wars land, and the projected location does not include Star Tour, which is currently in Tomorrowland - Does this mean the expansion at DHS will be 14 acres not including Star Tours?

If so, I think since all 3 Star Wars rides and the Jedi Academy will all be together, DHS's Star Wars land may seem more complete than the DL counterpart. I think it would be cool if you could ride Star Tours and then exit to Star Wars land as if Star Tours has taken you to your destination.

ToTBellHop

Whoever it is, they're fired.

What would be the point of adding to the Star Tours scenes to tear it all out in a year? From the D23 presentation, I would gather we're looking at two attractions plus Star Tours.
Logic would say yes, but this is Disney. Sometimes their cheapness defies logic. It's relatively cheap to create new clips for Star Tours to appease the masses that continue to come to the park for fewer and fewer attractions and then close it for the retheme once Toy Story Land (something new! Book a hotel room, honey!) is on line. Bob Iger clearly wants some immediate milking of the reinvigorated Star Wars property.

Mawg

Whoever it is, they're fired.

What would be the point of adding to the Star Tours scenes to tear it all out in a year? From the D23 presentation, I would gather we're looking at two attractions plus Star Tours.

You wouldn't tear it all out, just re-theme the front, and the new scenes would still have to last 4-5 years before they added the Falcon scenes. But, I agree, it has to be Star Tours stays and we get two new.

odmichael

This was posted 20 pages ago.

The SW area will be built using the existing buildings around Echo Lake. The dark areas are the attractions/guest areas that will be removed. Everything else is simply being re-themed/skinned.

The original plans were to just add the Falcon and convert Backlot Express to the Cantina and, rather than being truly innovative, they just expanded the area to include all of Echo Lake.

When it was explained to me, I was shocked that you can basically see the entire layout in the concept art. The layout is completely consistent in each piece of concept art.

The only thing not known was where exactly the second attraction was going, or whether it was new or just an updated Star Tours.

View attachment 106273
View attachment 106272 View attachment 106271 View attachment 106270
I must say that until I had this explanation, I did not see the resemblence between these 3 pieces of art. I knew there was a relationship but I couldn't see it. Now it's pretty clear to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom