Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ignohippo

Star Tours is staying Star Tours just with extra scenes and characters, Falcon is a separate new ride/attraction, Iger stated that ST would be getting enhanced after he spoke of the 2 rides coming to the land.

That is unknown. Yes, Star Tours is getting new destinations later this year, but it has never been stated if it will remain once the expansion is complete.

Given that the Millennium Falcon will be right in front of it in the expansion, it is very possible it could be re-themed to be the MF ride. I certainly hope not, but not is possible.

On the concept art. the outdoor queue appears to be gone, so either Star Tours is staying and they don't expect to need it for an aged attraction, or the Millennium Falcon walkthrough becomes the extended queue for the re-vamped Star Tours.

This was the one thing I couldn't get clarification on.

Remember though, even the new version of Star Tours will be almost a decade old by the time the expansion opens.

Ignohippo

From what they have said both the Lands will be identical, and the way they talked about the world it is one from the movies not necessarily the force awakens perhaps one from further down the line.

They have never said that and both lands won't be identical as i understand it. They will be very similar, but they won't be identical. The DHS version will be retrofitted with the buildings around Echo Lake while the DL version will be new construction.

DisDan

That is unknown. Yes, Star Tours is getting new destinations later this year, but it has never been stated if it will remain once the expansion is complete.

Given that the Millennium Falcon will be right in front of it in the expansion, it is very possible it could be re-themed to be the MF ride. I certainly hope not, but not is possible.

On the concept art. the outdoor queue appears to be gone, so either Star Tours is staying and they don't expect to need it for an aged attraction, or the Millennium Falcon walkthrough becomes the extended queue for the re-vamped Star Tours.

This was the one thing I couldn't get clarification on.

Remember though, even the new version of Star Tours will be almost a decade old by the time the expansion opens.
Remember the concept art is not a Model of the new Land. It is simply an artistic expression of how they want the land represented and showcase some of the elements they want you to feel immersed in. The land itself will probably not look very much like those concept drawings. So trying to decipher the layout of attractions based on what you see is pointless. IMO.

Mike S

We had friends in town last year. We were standing in the middle of Hollywood Studios when they said "Okay, where's Harry Potter. That's the first thing we want to see." Ouch.
My grandma from another country came one time when I was little and wanted to see Mickey. We were at Disney, she went to Universal.

Ignohippo

Remember the concept art is not a Model of the new Land. It is simply an artistic expression of how they want the land represented and showcase some of the elements they want you to feel immersed in. The land itself will probably not look very much like those concept drawings. So trying to decipher the layout of attractions based on what you see is pointless. IMO.

While the art has many, many elaborations, just like the initial Fantasyland renderings, the basic layout is intact and the locations were identified to me yesterday. I never would have been able to decipher where everything was otherwise. Once it was explained to me, it all made sense…unfortunately.

Nubs70

the average consumer who gets news like this from msnbc or cnn probably wouldn't discern the difference. park, land, who cares what it's called. it's not as if they implied it was totally separate from the core parks. but tomato tomahto
This morning CNBC was citing information we knew about over a month ago. Also in much less detail.

odmichael

While the art has many, many elaborations, just like the initial Fantasyland renderings, the basic layout is intact and the locations were identified to me yesterday. I never would have been able to decipher where everything was otherwise. Once it was explained to me, it all made sense…unfortunately.
Care to elaborate cryptically?

Ignohippo

Their numbers are way off, unless they are spinning them so as not to alarm Wall St.

There is so much money flying on so many different projects, it's hard to tell what is part of what. Usually you can rely on the budget info to give an idea of what's coming, but there are so many things still not announced that it's hard to know what has been budgeted and what hasn't.

Biff215

they are building two new themed LANDS not two new theme PARKS
This will likely be a common misconception by anyone not following this closely, including the media. I understood the confusion over Potter as many news sources called it a "park" from the day it opened. And you can't really blame those confused by the term "land" when that's what the original theme park is called to this day.

Ignohippo

Care to elaborate cryptically?

This was posted 20 pages ago.

The SW area will be built using the existing buildings around Echo Lake. The dark areas are the attractions/guest areas that will be removed. Everything else is simply being re-themed/skinned.

The original plans were to just add the Falcon and convert Backlot Express to the Cantina and, rather than being truly innovative, they just expanded the area to include all of Echo Lake.

When it was explained to me, I was shocked that you can basically see the entire layout in the concept art. The layout is completely consistent in each piece of concept art.

The only thing not known was where exactly the second attraction was going, or whether it was new or just an updated Star Tours.

DHS MAKEOVER MAP.jpg

Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25050 MU.jpg
Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25048 MU.jpg
Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25049 MU.jpg

FigmentForver96

The SW area will be built using the existing buildings around Echo Lake. The dark areas are the attractions/guest areas that will be removed. Everything else is simply being re-themed/skinned.

The original plans were to just add the Falcon and convert Backlot Express to the Cantina and, rather than being truly innovative, they just expanded the area to include all of Echo Lake.

When it was explained to me, I was shocked that you can basically see the entire layout in the concept art. The layout is completely consistent in each piece of concept art.

The only thing not known was where exactly the second attraction was going, or whether it was new or just an updated Star Tours.

View attachment 106273
View attachment 106272 View attachment 106271 View attachment 106270
My biggest concern is not them using the existing land, I am totally ok with that. My concern is about the thematic differences between Hollywood BLVD and Star Wars. They are going to need to do something pretty impressive to keep the two lands from bleeding into each other, and destroying their individual illusions of place making.

OvertheHorizon

Although Disneyland and Walt Disney World will both receive 14 acre Star Wars Lands, the footprint for each of those parks will be slightly different, which will lead to a different arrangement of the attractions within the lands. While I expect similarities between DL and WDW, there may be architectural style differences.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

View attachment 106273
View attachment 106272 View attachment 106271 View attachment 106270

Who explained this to you? Is this inside information, or just speculation that just happens to fit?

ctrlaltdel

I'd be really ed if the Falcon ride is just Star Tours v.whatever. I'd probably be ok with it replacing ST as something better. The battle ride sounds like it has a lot of potential. I am thinking a massive dark ride of some kind. Either way, I would be shocked if SWL didn't get at least 1 mega E-ticket ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom