Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SirLink

Ive been to many pressers. Too many to count. Trying to make an interesting photo from a boring press conference is rather difficult and a highly underrated skill IMO.

Anyways, from politicians to theme park executives (and countless people in between), I've never heard someone use such business-centric language before. I remember covering Blackberry world when it was in Orlando and their executive didn't use all the boardroom talk.

Its just a reflection of the culture created within Burbank and the disconnect they have from their audience.

I mean, if any of my friends spoke like that at trivia night or at a bar? There'd be a quick "Oh STHU." Know your audience is my lesson for today.....

I've been invited to E3 pressers that have been televised live and they have used Boardroom language ...

odmichael

If we lose Star Tours that is 9 attractions closed then add 2 + 2 = 4 potentially 2 more in the wings, we still have a deficit of attractions. Meaning Disney and the bozos at Glendale, Burbank and those who sit on the Board are well ... *cough*
I don't think it's off the table to change the ride again after this year. But we're not losing it. We never were. This thread is becoming very pessimistic. Rejoice that we have good news!

note2001

I assume the Millenium Falcon ride will be built like Mission: Space, so that when you go to plaid, you'll get the full G-force effect.

opisz9prxa4kfisockd4.jpg

No need, The Millenium Falcon is perpetually broken. (But when she works, she works great) A truly authentic, immersive experience would require you to leave your belted in position, go back to yell at some droids to "fix it", flirt with a princess who can't stand you and barely escaping the situation with your life (escape could be from either the princess or the empire :D)

JAG107

Let's not forget that Mine Train wasn't in the original plans for New FL. I'm sure what we heard about yesterday and what we will actually see 4-5 years from now may be significantly different. DL won't even break ground for over 2 years supposedly, and nobody really knows when ground breaking at DHS will commence since they will have TSL to focus on. I am also in total "wait and see" mode. Nothing to really get to worked up over at this point, as so much can change between now and 4 years in the future.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Guess your don't read the News and Rumors forum much. ;)
Yep. We have years of this to look forward to. Just wait until the first news breaks that something was cut. When things don't turn out exactly like the concept art we'll hear it too. There were pages of crying over the Mine Train not having a log for a bridge because it was in the concept art:confused::confused::confused:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why can't the expansion be all new land, why are we all assuming they are going to just shutdown everything to fit new rides?

Walk through a covered tunnel (think hyper space) come out on the other side to a new land with truely 14 acres.
View attachment 106179

That land is considered unsuitable for construction meaning it is difficult and expensive to develop, thus they will favor areas that are more suitable. Now there were permits recently showing that some road improvements might go in that area, but that is much different then building a whole land. Those permits also show some of the additional difficulties involved in building on that land. These permits were for nothing more then boring a bunch of holes to test soil conditions. So they needed to go through an entire permitting process just to see if they even want to build there.

TalkingHead

Looking at that concept art, everyone seems to be in Star Wars costume, and it looks great, but seeing that shot of the Falcon photo-op, I can't help thinking that when surrounded by hundreds of double-wide strollers and glow-in-the-dark tour groups, the immersiveness might be somewhat lost.

I thought the same thing about the cantina art. It doesn't reflect park operations at all. Which, again, just confirms that this art is maybe one step removed from blue sky stuff.

Voice of Disney sanity

Not sure if this factors into Disney's thinking at all, but if Star Wars land is taking place on a "new" planet that may be in Episodes 7-9, then it wouldn't be thematically appropriate to have Darth Vadar, Obi-Wan, Chewy, etc. meet and greets within it. So, maybe Star Tours and Tatooine Traders exists outside of Star Wars land to keep M&G potential for some of the Episode 4-6 characters?

And yes, I know Chewy is in Episode 7 at least.
Well that's not true..they may have visited the planet at other times not depicted in the original movies

vigliottec

That land is considered unsuitable for construction meaning it is difficult and expensive to develop, thus they will favor areas that are more suitable. Now there were permits recently showing that some road improvements might go in that area, but that is much different then building a whole land. Those permits also show some of the additional difficulties involved in building on that land. These permits were for nothing more then boring a bunch of holes to test soil conditions. So they needed to go through an entire permitting process just to see if they even want to build there.

well that's a start. getting rid of stuff to add stuff is not a net positive... you just break even (well maybe a little ahead... star wars and all)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
well that's a start. getting rid of stuff to add stuff is not a net positive... you just break even (well maybe a little ahead... star wars and all)

I brought this up earlier, maybe in another thread, but it really depends on what you are getting rid of. If you get rid of attractions that aren't a big draw and replace them with ones that are a much bigger draw, then it is a net positive.

ToTBellHop

If we lose Star Tours that is 9 attractions closed then add 2 + 2 = 4 potentially 2 more in the wings, we still have a deficit of attractions. Meaning Disney and the bozos at Glendale, Burbank and those who sit on the Board are well ... *cough*
I care very little for anything being removed, but they will need new shows to replace their capacity. And I'm sure this will happen. Most people care most about rides and they take longer to design and build, so we hear about them first. We already know of two new shows in the works for big theaters and the increase in capacity (and move indoors) for Jedi Training. Animation gets repurposed. My belief is that the following would be a conservative expectation list (and hopefully what we get is better than this):

Lose Indy but get new LPS E ticket with high capacity (Indy sees 10000/day; an appropriate ride should do better)
Star Tours converts to second E (still not convinced, but we are being conservative)--no net capacity shift
Empty Sounds Dangerous to Jedi Training Academy; capacity increase
Frozen stays
Animation repurposed, stays a pavilion. No net change
Keep Disney Junior
BatB converts to villain show and gets enclosed. No net change
New daytime show in Hollywood Hills. Extra 5000 people entertained at least 3x per day
Lose Mermaid (pretty big capacity drop, about 600 per hour), OMD and Sparrow (more modest loss)
Increase TSMM capacity by about 500 guests per hour
Slink Dog Coaster 1500 per hour
Alien ride 600 per hour if it is Mater clone as I think

Extra 2600 guests per hour for Toy Story Land more than replace capacity lost from Mermaid, OMD, and Sparrow. Should be an increase for Star Wars if we indeed lose Indy and Star Tours is just repurposed, and of course there is the benefit in both cases of replacing old with new. New Fantasmic show increases capacity further if we get that.

What we can't really account for is Backlot Tour (2400/hour although it wasn't popular enough to achieve that) and LMA (3000/day)/Muppets (600/hour) if they are removed. Toy Story Land takes up a little of BLT's land, so it should cover some of that capacity (which it can easily do in addition to covering for Mermaid, OMD, and Sparrow). The modest Star Wars project discussed here wouldn't require any of those, so it's a different project that would require their full removal. Based upon what we have so far, though, there an increase in absolute capacity for the modest Star Wars land or Toy Story Land and an even greater increase due to replacing some unpopular attractions. We will have to wait to see what, if anything, is announced for the back of the park.

SirLink

It's being value-engineered into the Echo Lake area to take advantage of the existing facilities.

Remember, the began as just adding the Falcon and replacing Backlot Express with the Cantina (which was all it was originally supposed to be as a first phase). It has simply evolved and grown to take up more of the Echo Lake area from those original plans.

I'm not saying your source is wrong ... but sounds kinda like Jim Hills source which is old information. Remember the old plans had Falcon as a walkthrough attraction ala SR Family Treehouse. Your source could have v.old information.

Kman101

I'm not saying your source is wrong ... but sounds kinda like Jim Hills source which is old information. Remember the old plans had Falcon as a walkthrough attraction ala SR Family Treehouse. Your source could have v.old information.

Agreed. And didn't @marni1971 state Echo going away was just fan chatter taken too far. I guess plans could still change and it does go away but we seem to have some conflicting info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom