Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

Agreed. And didn't @marni1971 state Echo going away was just fan chatter taken too far. I guess plans could still change and it does go away but we seem to have some conflicting info.
This seems a bit like old Disney fighting new Disney. The optimist in me says "new Disney will knock this out of the park because it's too important not to; so new land expanded out into parking lot along with Star Tours". Then the pessimist reminds me of old Disney, "I am le tired. Let's just build one new ride and repaint everything else in that area of the park and call it new. Voila!"

I'll be very sad if old Disney kills new Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Untitled.jpg

That land is considered unsuitable for construction meaning it is difficult and expensive to develop, thus they will favor areas that are more suitable.
LOL. All of WDW is built on a swamp so building on this piece of land will be no issue. There is no way DHS can take another "major" ride closure so to me expanding the park for SW makes the most sense.

Kman101

This seems a bit like old Disney fighting new Disney. The optimist in me says "new Disney will knock this out of the park because it's too important not to; so new land expanded out into parking lot along with Star Tours". Then the pessimist reminds me of old Disney, "I am le tired. Let's just build one new ride and repaint everything else in that area of the park and call it new. Voila!"

I'll be very sad if old Disney kills new Disney.

Same. It does sound like that. I was very excited over the prospect of an actual expansion. I know it will still look the same, regardless of location and nothing's been confirmed so we're just speculating and I just need to take a wait and see attitude, but I won't lie that hearing they were possibly taking the easier way out deflated my enthusiasm a tiny bit. I still have no doubts it will be incredible but let's stop shoe-horning things in and simply replacing what's there and calling it an expansion.

vigliottec

LOL. All of WDW is built on a swamp so building on this piece of land will be no issue. There is no way DHS can take another "major" ride closure so to me expanding the park for SW makes the most sense.

they better not shut anything else down. but if i had it my way all the parks with just double in size.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, all of WDW's land is pretty low lying, but some land is worse then others. The RCID master plan lays out the suitability each section of the land. Red is suitable, light green is marginally suitable, dark green is unsuitable. They are going to always favor the suitable land when they can.

Capture.JPG

As a good example of this, they have recently built a new laundry facility where I have marked in red. The blue line is the access road. Notice how they routed it to avoid the unsuitable land.

Capture.JPG

erasure fan1

I am also in total "wait and see" mode. Nothing to really get to worked up over at this point, as so much can change between now and 4 years in the future.
I agree. While I have been begging for a major star wars land in the parks since I was a kid, all they have done is actually said what we all knew was coming. Once we have a good idea of the time frame, the actual attractions... then I can really start to get excited. If anyone thinks this will end with the same plans it started, I would say you are crazy. Disney has proved time and again that the start and the end are usually greatly different.

vigliottec

Yes, all of WDW's land is pretty low lying, but some land is worse then others. The RCID master plan lays out the suitability each section of the land. Red is suitable, light green is marginally suitable, dark green is unsuitable. They are going to always favor the suitable land when they can.

View attachment 106188

As a good example of this, they have recently built a new laundry facility where I have marked in red. The blue line is the access road. Notice how they routed it to avoid the unsuitable land.

View attachment 106189

Well is it more likely they take part of the parking lot. do they need that much parking? would it need to be replaced? is a parking garage out of the questions?

i feel like D23 just made more questions and gave very little answers

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well is it more likely they take part of the parking lot. do they need that much parking? would it need to be replaced? is a parking garage out of the questions?

i feel like D23 just made more questions and gave very little answers

A parking garage has been strongly rumored for a while now. This is how they are currently making more room at Downtown Disney.

yellowrocket

View attachment 106188
I thought they de-annexed all of the land south of I-4. Isn't that all Celebration?

PhotoDave219

Why can't the expansion be all new land, why are we all assuming they are going to just shutdown everything to fit new rides?

Walk through a covered tunnel (think hyper space) come out on the other side to a new land with truely 14 acres.
View attachment 106179

I could settle for
View attachment 106180

The parking lot doesn't involve serious rehabilitation of the land nor affecting wetlands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom