Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ignohippo

I would agree, but it's definitely a scenario we need to consider.

I would absolutely HATE to see Star Tours go (and would hate it even more if that meant the new expansion would really only be one "new" attraction) but we also have to remember that even the new version of Star Tours would 8-9 years old by the time this expansion goes live.

Besides, and I have literally zero info on this, it sounds like it would just be a new version, the basic ride would be the same.

Funmeister

For the last time, Star Tours isn't going anywhere!

Right. Not going anywhere because they are adding other "destinations" to the current ride.

I have heard scenarios where these new profiles are just placeholders to pacify guests until they eventually shut it down to re-design it as the MF attraction. Can't confirm it it...but sure in the hell won't deny it.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, well, as you know, I certainly haven't before and wouldn't waste time on it if I thought the person I was hearing it from didn't have very reliable info.

Of course, I was told EO was dead and wasn't coming back, so there's always that one!

Things certainly change. Alas the one thing we do know? These are ruthless executives who will tell us as little as humanly possible.....

odmichael

I just don't understand the point of "expanding" a park that needs help capacity wise and attraction count wise when all you're doing is replacing existing attractions and shows and not actually gaining any capacity. Heck with the new Toy Story Land, why do have to take out One Man's Dream and Voyage of the Little Mermaid to add a walkway, why not use the giant walkway that already exists between TSMM and the Jack Sparrow complex that literally leads right to where Toy Story Land would be.
A good goal for them is to reach capacity before they focus on the capacity problem that is going to ensue...

Ignohippo

Hmm.. Well again this is like the Obi Wan/Anakin "you're with me or against me" verbiage about "absolutes" from Revenge of the Sith haha. Either/Or. In reality there isn't an either/or with shutting down Star Tours and bringing mini Cars Land. They don't have to be related...unless Bob Iger sits on the top of his money bin like Caesar giving thumbs up or thumbs down to new attractions...merely for his entertainment haha.

They've already announced a new location to Star Tours coming next year. This is after Star Tours was revamped a few years ago. Seems like a waste of accounting to then trash an attraction that fits in with your new land

Trust me, I agree completely.

Understand though that updating it to a couple of new locations doesn't take much. The cost and time is in the animation and the programming. They could most likely have it updated in a day if they didn't have to do testing.

IF it were to go though (and who knows?), it sounds like it would just be an update and general re-theming. The basic ride would stay the same, only the story would change.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Right. Not going anywhere because they are adding other "destinations" to the current ride.

I have heard scenarios where these new profiles are just placeholders to pacify guests until they eventually shut it down to re-design it as the MF attraction. Can't confirm it it...but sure in the hell won't deny it.

The new scene is not proof of it staying. A new scene would not be that expensive to produce, especially if it was done in conjunction with the Ep7 production. This is just one of a bunch of new Star Wars things being added to DHS short term to capitalize on the release of the movie and to tie people over until the land is built.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just don't understand the point of "expanding" a park that needs help capacity wise and attraction count wise when all you're doing is replacing existing attractions and shows and not actually gaining any capacity. Heck with the new Toy Story Land, why do have to take out One Man's Dream and Voyage of the Little Mermaid to add a walkway, why not use the giant walkway that already exists between TSMM and the Jack Sparrow complex that literally leads right to where Toy Story Land would be.

It's not just about the number of attractions but how popular they are. They removed Jack Sparrow which wasn't that popular. If it got replaced with something that is a bigger draw, that is a win for the park capacity wise.

odmichael

I heard that Star Tours is closing...and they're getting rid of Micky Mouse and Cinderella's castle is being demolished...because things change people!

mm52200

It's not just about the number of attractions but how popular they are. They removed Jack Sparrow which wasn't that popular. If it got replaced with something that is a bigger draw, that is a win for the park capacity wise.
Right but Voyage of the Little Mermaid plays to full shows almost the whole day. Same with the Animation attraction that constantly had people in it, lines for characters, and the very popular drawing class that had super long lines. They could have put the Star Wars Launch Bay where Jack Sparrow was, expand the capacity of the drawing class, and keep Mermaid and One Man's Dream AND ADD two new attractions in the form of Toy Story Land.

John

I havnt read every page here but want to throw in my opinion of what I think would be a terrific addition as far as the Mos Eisely ...I hope its thick with AA's and character actors.....A dinner show in the evening. Want to talk about a tough ressie to snag?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Right but Voyage of the Little Mermaid plays to full shows almost the whole day. Same with the Animation attraction that constantly had people in it, lines for characters, and the very popular drawing class that had super long lines. They could have put the Star Wars Launch Bay where Jack Sparrow was, expand the capacity of the drawing class, and keep Mermaid and One Man's Dream AND ADD two new attractions in the form of Toy Story Land.

We still need to see the final plan. It's to early to know if this is a loss of capacity until we know for sure what is coming and what is going.

TalkingHead

Has this been confirmed? Because, while it isn't going anywhere per se, there's a lot of gray area as to whether Attraction #2 is just an updated version of Star Tours.

I hadn't even considered that, but it (sadly) makes a lot of sense. Although everyone else in the theme park industry has moved on, Disney clearly hasn't given up on the flight simulator system (look at Stark Tours) yet.

If the Millennium Falcon ride is Star Tours 4.0, what a disappointment.

mm52200

We still need to see the final plan. It's to early to know if this is a loss of capacity until we know for sure what is coming and what is going.
True, no idea about Star Wars Land, but it seems like they won't be gaining much capacity in that corner of the park. If anything capacity will remain about the same.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
True, no idea about Star Wars Land, but it seems like they won't be gaining much capacity in that corner of the park. If anything capacity will remain about the same.

Again, until we know what is being removed, it's hard to say. It also depends if the new rides are high capacity people eaters or not. If the land is immersive, it becomes another attraction in and of itself which also helps with capacity.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

TBH, for a 45 year old nerdlinger such as myself who saw Star Wars over 40 times in theaters when I was 7, if every shop, restaurant, etc. is kept thematicaly consistent and staffed by SW aliens and the like as implied at D23, I may never leave the area. The impact this could have on capacity is unknown but could be great. I'll just be yelling things at the family like, "Leave me be! I'm negotiating with the jawas for this mech tech!"

odmichael

I havnt read every page here but want to throw in my opinion of what I think would be a terrific addition as far as the Mos Eisely ...I hope its thick with AA's and character actors.....A dinner show in the evening. Want to talk about a tough ressie to snag?
I would check out the video of the press conference. It shows a picture of the Cantina. Not Mos Eisley though

Kman101

Okay. I can only relay what I was told. This is not just something made-up or fan speculation.

Why do we always get the short end? Yes it's the same land but we get re-skinned and lose things.

And hasn't the loss of Echo Lake been shot down by others so there seems to be conflicting info.

Yours makes sense but I laugh at them calling it an 'expansion' now. It's not at all.

Oh well, at least it will be a really cool and immersive land. It looks incredibly well done even if we get ours "shoehorned" in.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Why do we always get the short end? Yes it's the same land but we get re-skinned and lose things.

And hasn't the loss of Echo Lake been shot down by others so there seems to be conflicting info.

Yours makes sense but I laugh at them calling it an 'expansion' now. It's not at all.

Oh well, at least it will be a really cool and immersive land. It looks incredibly well done even if we get ours "shoehorned" in.
From an "wasteful" stand point, there's no real problem that I see if an existing structure is stripped and they repurposed. It should make it open quicker. Disneyland will get new buildings because...there aren't any buildings where it will go. I don't take this as evidence WDW is getting an inferior version.

Kman101

From an "wasteful" stand point, there's no real problem that I see if an existing structure is stripped and they repurposed. It should make it open quicker. Disneyland will get new buildings because...there aren't any buildings where it will go. I don't take this as evidence WDW is getting an inferior version.

It won't be inferior at all. I'm just a bit discouraged it's not an actual expansion and I'm all for repurposing and re-using and that's fine, it's just not what I wanted to hear, I guess. It doesn't mean the land will suck at all. I'm prepared to be impressed and enjoy it even if they 'shoehorn' it in but it just reminds me of all the years of WDW slightly getting the short end and losing things to be replaced by things instead of simply adding. I get it from a numbers perspective but it just kind of annoys me. LOL. Just a minor gripe. Not trying to knock the land at all. I'm sure it will look fantastic, I have no doubt.

It just makes no sense to me that they use Echo and Hollywood Dine (even if said restaurant isn't a loss to me). I think that's a bit lazy and I'm just not picturing a good transition but they could easily prove me wrong and I hope they do.

Are we sure the old and new plans aren't getting mixed up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom