Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

I just love when someone complains about the discussion without offering anything of their own. We aren't here for your entertainment - if you would like to change the direction of the conversation, offer up something to discuss instead of complaining about what others are talking about.

That last line is the kicker - you almost would have had 1/2 a point (though barely) - but even if we are talking about the placement of SWL only, that still would bore you. Again, sorry bro - not here to entertain you.

I suggest you sit out of the conversation for awhile, because I hate to burst your bubble (well, not really...) but this is going to be what it's like for the next three or four years until the place is nearly open and there is something concrete to talk about.
Or at least till D23 next year if DL's SWL really opens in 2018.

Ripken10

I just love when someone complains about the discussion without offering anything of their own. We aren't here for your entertainment - if you would like to change the direction of the conversation, offer up something to discuss instead of complaining about what others are talking about.

That last line is the kicker - you almost would have had 1/2 a point (though barely) - but even if we are talking about the placement of SWL only, that still would bore you. Again, sorry bro - not here to entertain you.

I suggest you sit out of the conversation for awhile, because I hate to burst your bubble (well, not really...) but this is going to be what it's like for the next three or four years until the place is nearly open and there is something concrete to talk about.
Please stay on topic.

Marlins1

At least it looks like it will be a respite from the concrete jungle that the studios are. If some of that area is "wasted" on greenery, etc. - I really wouldn't mind. I just wish there was a nice water feature in there, as well.
I agree - I never liked the look and feel of the back half of this park. All of these closings are really no big loss IMO.

AEfx

I agree - I never liked the look and feel of the back half of this park. All of these closings are really no big loss IMO.

Honestly - the same with Disneyland. People making a stink about "trees that haven't been touched since Walt's time!" who don't stop to realize that the stuff that has been removed wouldn't have made it out of the 1970's if he had survived. The place is not a museum, nothing that is going is anything anyone cared about before they found out it was going. And when you get beyond fans and go to the average guest - that area is going to be enjoyed exponentially so many times over what was there before it's not even reasonably calculable.

JohnWD

image.jpeg
No progress from writers stop vantage point. :(

Mike S

Honestly - the same with Disneyland. People making a stink about "trees that haven't been touched since Walt's time!" who don't stop to realize that the stuff that has been removed wouldn't have made it out of the 1970's if he had survived. The place is not a museum, nothing that is going is anything anyone cared about before they found out it was going. And when you get beyond fans and go to the average guest - that area is going to be enjoyed exponentially so many times over what was there before it's not even reasonably calculable.
I don't think it's about the trees, I think the same area was earmarked for Discovery Bay and I don't think people minded that idea. It's about such a huge piece of real estate being dedicated to a single idea, Star Wars. In the history of Disneyland and pretty much every castle park to follow each land was given a more general idea so as many things as possible can be included (this is how the Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, and Indiana Jones happily coexist in Adventureland in the same park) with the only exceptions being Hong Kong and Shanghai having Toy Story and PoTC respectively, but neither of these match the size of Star Wars Land. Disneyland is also famous for how much they packed into a relatively small park so two major attractions in 14 acres goes against that somewhat. From the art I've seen of Star Wars Land it looks like Diagon Alley on steroids and I was easily able to spend hours in that land the first time I went but the attraction number is still something to think about.

TP2000

View attachment 142092 No progress from writers stop vantage point. :(

Meanwhile, in Anaheim this weekend...
i-ksnmmfw-XL.png

At this point I think it's quite obvious there will be two very different timelines for Star Wars Land; one for Disneyland that's three years or less from this point, and one for DHS that is at least six months later and perhaps up to a year or more later. Perhaps when Star Wars Land opens in early '19 in Disneyland, that's when they open Toy Story Land in DHS and then piggyback that with Star Wars Land the following year in 2020?

I would imagine they would want all of the rest of DHS fixed and/or in full working order before they debut Star Wars Land and make it the biggest thing in WDW since Tangaroa Toast.

jt04

Meanwhile, in Anaheim this weekend...
i-ksnmmfw-XL.png

At this point I think it's quite obvious there will be two very different timelines for Star Wars Land; one for Disneyland that's three years or less from this point, and one for DHS that is at least six months later and perhaps up to a year or more later. Perhaps when Star Wars Land opens in early '19 in Disneyland, that's when they open Toy Story Land in DHS and then piggyback that with Star Wars Land the following year in 2020?

I would imagine they would want all of the rest of DHS fixed and/or in full working order before they debut Star Wars Land and make it the biggest thing in WDW since Tangaroa Toast.

And Pandora.

TP2000

Getting ready to do some major drainage work in anticipation of the park expansion. It may not be as obvious as DL but things do seem to be happening.

For those of us not familiar with construction timelines in the swamps, how far in advance does "drainage" happen before you see structural steel?

I'm semi-familiar with construction in SoCal with it's dry topsoil sitting on solid bedrock (or semi-solid when an earthquake happens), and the Disneyland site for Star Wars Land appears to be about 90 days or less away from seeing structural steel sprouting upwards. How long does it take after "drainage" in a swamp to see structural steel for a large and heavy building that the Star Wars rides would need?

Next Big Thing

For those of us not familiar with construction timelines in the swamps, how far in advance does "drainage" happen before you see structural steel?

I'm semi-familiar with construction in SoCal with it's dry topsoil sitting on solid bedrock (or semi-solid when an earthquake happens), and the Disneyland site for Star Wars Land appears to be about 90 days or less away from seeing structural steel sprouting upwards. How long does it take after "drainage" in a swamp to see structural steel for a large and heavy building that the Star Wars rides would need?
I think we all get it, DL is getting SWL first, likely by a good time period. No reason to act all elitist about it though.

roj2323

We will not likely see steel rising until November or December at the earliest and realistically February is more likely. Once the drainage is in place there will be a ton of work to get pilings put in place as well as a ton of other sub surface infrastructure installation and they still haven't finished the demo of the existing structures.

TP2000

I think we all get it, DL is getting SWL first, likely by a good time period. No reason to act all elitist about it though.

Uhh.... :confused:

We will not likely see steel rising until November or December at the earliest and realistically February is more likely. Once the drainage is in place there will be a ton of work to get pilings put in place as well as a ton of other sub surface infrastructure installation and they still haven't finished the demo of the existing structures.

That's the actual answer to the question I was asking about construction timelines for areas with high water tables, AKA a swamp. Thank you! :)

roj2323

Uhh.... :confused:

That's the actual answer to the question I was asking about construction timelines for areas with high water tables, AKA a swamp. Thank you! :)

Ahh. That's really not predictable until the conveyor system is put up. Once that goes up they will likely be paving new areas in 2-3 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom