Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
because they have permits there already and dont have to deal with wetland exemptions and huge drainage basin requirements?
it is the difference in building in what is essentially a desert/farmland area; and building in a swamp
You forgot all the prep and clearing they had to do - and have virtually done - at DL before they could start building.

You make it sound like backstage at DL is desert.

dstrawn9889

when they already have the permits, things come down fast... check out cat canyon and the stage and the water tower
there was alot of demo permits that dan has found -- three demo packages and one site prep and one well removal... lots of infrastructure is about to go bye bye

dstrawn9889

You forgot all the prep and clearing they had to do - and have virtually done - at DL before they could start building.

You make it sound like backstage at DL is desert.
DL has Anaheim in their back pocket it seems... they want the 1.5 billion that disney promised to invest, and probably have been fast-tracking permits and approving plans. DL only has the current seismic building codes there... here in FL you have Miami-dade code (which they pretty much follow, even though they dont strictly have to) and then you have the fights with the tree-huggers about wetland use, and the marginal land use... and the 800 lb gorilla in the room, the SFWMD.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
because they have permits there already and dont have to deal with wetland exemptions and huge drainage basin requirements?
it is the difference in building in what is essentially a desert/farmland area; and building in a swamp

The drainage basin shouldn't be holding up work on either SWL or TSL since they are both entirely on land that had already been build on. The drainage is going to come into play when they start to expand the parking lot. Arguably, SWL should be an easier build at DHS then it is at DL since they have to deal with a major reworking of Rivers of America.

rioriz

Just because we express criticism here doesn't mean we stress about this stuff all day every day. It's an outlet. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that was what was insinuated by my words than i chose the wrong wording. I dont think you personally and some others lose much sleep on it, however the topic has reached a level of repetition that its getting frustrating. Especially when its in almost every thread...

While there are a plethora of well spoken and informed posters, and some loonies, at some point we have to be the adults and stop responding as the trolls will never understand...

dstrawn9889

The drainage basin shouldn't be holding up work on either SWL or TSL since they are both entirely on land that had already been build on. The drainage is going to come into play when they start to expand the parking lot. Arguably, SWL should be an easier build at DHS then it is at DL since they have to deal with a major reworking of Rivers of America.
but they do have to have the runoff capacity that the new buildings/areas call for before they introduce impervious materials, correct?

Goofyernmost

Indeed. But there is no reason the third theatre couldn't have opened earlier with Over California and give the park much needed capacity and the guest a much better experience.
I agree, but, they didn't do it that way. At least in DCA they had a long time to go before the new film would be out. I don't think, for one thing, it is just a matter of "plugging" something in. I have a feeling that there is a little more to it then that. They really should have put the old movie back or maybe one of your "contacts" would know if all that new equipment that was required for the old theaters were a factor in the delay. I'm sure I don't know.

Sped2424

So does anyone know if the millennium falcon attraction will include physical sets? Or is it a simulator in the same vein of star tours but with actual interactivity for the rider?

rioriz

So does anyone know if the millennium falcon attraction will include physical sets? Or is it a simulator in the same vein of star tours but with actual interactivity for the rider?

The rumors seem to be enclosed M:S but with the interactivity of a modern video game...meaning you can control where you go, shoot whatever targets you want, feel the vibration when hit...since we have Soarin 3.0 in Pandora can we call this Mission Space 2.0? :)

Sped2424

The rumors seem to be enclosed M:S but with the interactivity of a modern video game...meaning you can control where you go, shoot whatever targets you want, feel the vibration when hit...since we have Soarin 3.0 in Pandora can we call this Mission Space 2.0? :)
hmmm I am not sure how I like the sound of that. When insiders were first talking about this attraction they compared it to forbidden journey. NOW that is the MF ride I want. But one that is a shoot em up style mission space? Hard pass on that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
but they do have to have the runoff capacity that the new buildings/areas call for before they introduce impervious materials, correct?

TSL and SWL will not be introducing much if any more impervious materials then were already there. Doesn't really matter whether it's paved ground or a building, the run of is the same. The only minor exception to this will be if they get rid of the canal that back by LMA and Cat Canyon, but the permits don't indicate that it will be removed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
hmmm I am not sure how I like the sound of that. When insiders were first talking about this attraction they compared it to forbidden journey. NOW that is the MF ride I want. But one that is a shoot em up style mission space? Hard pass on that.
The main E should have the Forbidden Journey effect of wow factor (not ride system)

The MF bird will be more traditional.

Sped2424

The main E should have the Forbidden Journey effect of wow factor (not ride system)

The MF bird will be more traditional.
So the main E is the escape from the first order base thing. The MF bird being the millennium falcon will be more traditional? Traditional compared to what though?

Jones14

So the main E is the escape from the first order base thing. The MF bird being the millennium falcon will be more traditional? Traditional compared to what though?

I think what Martin is getting at is that in terms of how impressive the overall ride experience is, the MF attraction is more of a Gringotts, and the Escape attraction is more of a FJ.

Travel Junkie

DL has Anaheim in their back pocket it seems... they want the 1.5 billion that disney promised to invest, and probably have been fast-tracking permits and approving plans. DL only has the current seismic building codes there... here in FL you have Miami-dade code (which they pretty much follow, even though they dont strictly have to) and then you have the fights with the tree-huggers about wetland use, and the marginal land use... and the 800 lb gorilla in the room, the SFWMD.

I won't pretend to know how hard it is to get things done in Florida, but I would imagine it is much easier than California. Your characterization of Disney having Anaheim in it's back pocket is way off. Disney and Anaheim have had a very contentious relationship at times over the years and many local lawmakers are not friends of the mouse despite the obvious benefits to the city. California's building codes and red tape to get anything done is legendarily difficult. It's actually comical to suggest California's permit process and what it takes to get any construction done is easy when its well deserved reputation is quite the opposite.

Disneyland is building at faster pace than DHS because they (TDA and Burbank) are making getting it done asap in Anaheim where they are taking their time in Florida.

ToTBellHop

I won't pretend to know how hard it is to get things done in Florida, but I would imagine it is much easier than California. Your characterization of Disney having Anaheim in it's back pocket is way off. Disney and Anaheim have had a very contentious relationship at times over the years and many local lawmakers are not friends of the mouse despite the obvious benefits to the city. California's building codes and red tape to get anything done is legendarily difficult. It's actually comical to suggest California's permit process and what it takes to get any construction done is easy when its well deserved reputation is quite the opposite.

Disneyland is building at faster pace than DHS because they (TDA and Burbank) are making getting it done asap in Anaheim where they are taking their time in Florida.
Because they feel they can. They already have new lands opening in 2017 and 2018.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom