Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disneyhead'71

I don't mind screens at all. However, you have to recognize that screens are 1. Easier to implement 2. Faster to implement 3. Cheaper, relative to detailed animatronics such as what Disney is building with Cars, Avatar, and Star Wars. Let me make clear, I'm not against screens, in fact I think they're better than animatronics in a number of ways, but you can't deny Universal's emphasis on them has allowed them to build attractions at a faster pace.
There are 10 different Goblin AAs is Gringott's.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Please what, Martin? Your dry, simplistic responses do not do anything for the argument. Tell me why that isn't true or relevant to what other things have been mentioned and I will say "Oh, please" with you, but, without that I stick to what I said.
I thought it was obvious what a complicated and intricate project Splash was.

If not can I respectfully point you to the video I did which has a lot of detail about the amazing design and construction.

Your comment seemed to belittle the colossal engineering feat it was.

Also, if you'd like me to go on and explain how quick and easy both Soarin and TSMM extensions should have been I can.

Last edited:

Mike S

If not can I respectfully point you to the video I did which has a lot of detail about the amazing design and construction.

Also, if you'd like me to go on and explain how quick and easy both Soarin and TSMM extensions should have been I can.
Please go on :)

gmajew

Really after the announced projects that are coming Disney should spend the next 3-5 years fixing the current parks! This means hitting each area of Epcot, fixing Space Mountain, Stich, and Laugh Floor. If each project average 9-12 months they are extremely busy with everything else going on.

Goofyernmost

OK, I'll except that, but, my point was that nothing, as far as I can tell, was announced before they started building it. All that amazing engineering was done before hand and all that was left was to actually build it. Complex, yes, but, all designs, manufactured specialty designs were either done already or very close to complete or timed to complete as the structure took shape. Lately, I assume in an effort to quiet the anxious crowds, they have announced all the stuff previous to fine tuning the plans, proving the engineering, starting construction of AA's or other special effects and so on. So we didn't see that nor wait for it with Splash, it was ready to be built before we even knew that it existed. In other words, no one started counting construction time from the minute is was thought about. It was, as you pointed out, at the time that actual physical construction started.

To me the very idea that we are concerned about how long it takes to build is just one more bogus thing to complain about. Right now, even though I have zero interest in Toy Story Land and an equal zero interest in Star Wars, I am happy to see them doing something for a change. Pandora is another, never saw the entire movie (it bored me to tears), but, I am looking forward to seeing the attraction and I don't care if it took 10 years to build, if it lives up to expectation, it is after all, just a theme park attraction. It doesn't cure cancer. We all need to get a grip.

As for Soarin, you know as well as anyone that the only reason that it isn't open right now is because of the agreement with China to show the film there first. Poor decision, but, it is what it is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As for Soarin, you know as well as anyone that the only reason that it isn't open right now is because of the agreement with China to show the film there first. Poor decision, but, it is what it is.
Indeed. But there is no reason the third theatre couldn't have opened earlier with Over California and give the park much needed capacity and the guest a much better experience.

PurpleDragon

Do they have a ETA on opening for SWL? I heard somewhere it would be summer 2017, does that still stand?

Sorry if its been stated, I'm at work and trying to multitask.

Oh and hi everyone. I've been gone for a while but I'm back. :)

Brian Swan

It's much better now than when the park opened. I remember going in 05 I believe was the year and it was so tacky.
I agree. When DCA first opened, PP was "supposed" to reflect a turn-of-the-century pier that had been added to over the years with carnival and surf culture. This was actually a pretty "authentic" recreation of what has happened in "real" locations; Mission Bay in San Diego comes to mind with it's early 20th century wooden coaster surrounded by "tacky" carnival rides, fast food places, bars, and surf shops. But in a theme park, it was just confusing. The re-do, focusing on the 1920s theme was a great improvement.

PurpleDragon

For Star Wars? Disneyland's version is supposed to be open in late 2018 and reports are that DHS's version should follow 6-12 months after. So, right now, I would think the plan is for WDW's Star Wars Experience to open in late 2019.

Ahh ok, maybe it was 2017 for something else. There are so many projects going on at the parks its hard to keep track. Thanks.

rioriz

The reason why Disney takes it's good ole time on construction is complex in the details but simple in concept...

Because they can!!! They can allow Epcot to become my favorite watering hole, They can allow DHS to operate as 1/2 a park, they cannot add an E ticket to their Signature park for years because they can!

People, including myself, will still go...they will still spend money. And Disney will still continue to profit. Through the legacy and years they have built up the company enough that there is no need to go full steam ahead every year. We may not like it but your life would be a lot less stressful if you stop fighting and questioning why and just accept the what...which is Disney can operate the way they do now because they can afford to do so. We've got to accept that which you cannot change

Universal cannot afford to do so and just rest on their laurels. They need to keep pushing and expanding to play catch up. Rather we like it or not that is they truth. I am glad to be able to reap the benefits of Uni's rise and Disney's evolution in this day in age and have not added a single stress line to my brow...:)

Last edited:

doctornick

The reason why Disney takes it's good ole time on construction is complex in the details but simple in concept...

Because they can!!! They can allow Epcot to become my favorite watering hole, They can allow DHS to operate as 1/2 a park, they cannot add an E ticket to their Signature park for years BECAUSE THEY CAN!

People, including myself, will still go...they will still spend money. And Disney will still continue to profit. Through the legacy and years they have built up the company enough that there is no need to go full steam ahead every year. We may not like it but your life would be a lot less stressful if you stop fighting and questioning why and just accept the what...which is Disney can operate the way they do now because they can afford to do so. Stop debating about how much time it should have taken and just accept that which you cannot change

To build on this, one thing about these kinds of discussions that gets lost is this: The reason why Disney can "get away with it" is because of how good the established product already is. The quality is so high that even with letting things slip and stagnate, it is still a very enjoyable experience going to WDW. I think that's an important thing that many folks in these parts often ignore because they are so intimately aware of the "problems" and are so familiar in general with the parks that it's tough to appreciate that the "commoners" visiting are often actually having great experiences, not just being blinded by pixie dust.

I'm not excusing the lack of investment by Disney or the pace of builds, but sometimes the hyperbole gets so strong around here that you'd think that the paths are full of trash or that all the CMs are constantly belittling and arguing with guests.

Mike S

Because they can!!! They can allow Epcot to become my favorite watering hole, They can allow DHS to operate as 1/2 a park, they cannot add an E ticket to their Signature park for years BECAUSE THEY CAN!

People, including myself, will still go...they will still spend money. And Disney will still continue to profit. Through the legacy and years they have built up the company enough that there is no need to go full steam ahead every year. We may not like it but your life would be a lot less stressful if you stop fighting and questioning why and just accept the what...which is Disney can operate the way they do now because they can afford to do so. Stop debating about how much time it should have taken and just accept that which you cannot change

Universal cannot afford to do so and just rest on their laurels. They need to keep pushing and expanding to play catch up. Rather we like it or not that is they truth. I am glad to be able to reap the benefits of Uni's rise and Disney's evolution in this day in age and have not added a single stress line to my brow...:)
Just because we express criticism here doesn't mean we stress about this stuff all day every day. It's an outlet. Nothing more, nothing less.

Homer fan

For Star Wars? Disneyland's version is supposed to be open in late 2018 and reports are that DHS's version should follow 6-12 months after. So, right now, I would think the plan is for WDW's Star Wars Experience to open in late 2019.
It's strange that they would fast track (relatively speaking) Disneyland, and be that far behind for DHS, when DHS is the park really in need of this.

dstrawn9889

because they have permits there already and dont have to deal with wetland exemptions and huge drainage basin requirements?
it is the difference in building in what is essentially a desert/farmland area; and building in a swamp

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom