Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

yensidtlaw1969

Well, you sure can't tell the screens are rotating, and if they are it's usually from screen to screen than screen to set.
Just to interject, if you can't tell that's what they're doing that's because they did their job well. The blend from screen to set and back is part of what's innovative -- it's all happening seamlessly behind the scenes in service of the ride experience. You shouldn't be able to tell that's what's happening, and that's quite a feat to manage.

rioriz

a464de2025dfe95a98621fd33abb3a1a.jpg

Mike S

Doesn't change the fact that they're side by side, hence making it impossible to make to screen-to-set transition as was claimed by danlb_2000.
How do I explain this...........

Ok, you know what an Omnimover is? The ride system in Haunted Mansion? Good. Imagine Forbidden Journey has two of those side by side and moving in unison with each other. One of them is the benches and the other is the screens except the screens are on a smaller loop than the main ride path and are only in certain areas. That's how it works. If the ride breaks down the screens stop moving. The fact you're having trouble understanding how it works proves how ground breaking it is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Ok, you know what an Omnimover is? The ride system in Haunted Mansion? Good. Imagine Forbidden Journey has two of those side by side and moving in unison with each other. One of them is the benches and the other is the screens except the screens are on a smaller loop than the main ride path and are only in certain areas. That's how it works. If the ride breaks down the screens stop moving. The fact you're having trouble understanding how it works proves how ground breaking it is.

Yeah. Groundbreaking 6 years ago. *yawn*

:D

Biff215

This convo is getting too long, I explained why it's taking Disney longer to build TSMM earlier (which applies to Soarin' as well).
I don't doubt Disney can build faster when they want to, but going deliberately slow on TSMM and Soarin' doesn't make any more sense than the speed of other various projects going on. It's more about who's willing to pay to get things done quicker, and clearly that's Universal right now. Sure, complexity plays a part in this, but it's not like we're comparing Disney to your local carnival. The comparison is as fair as they come.

Mike S

I don't doubt Disney can build faster when they want to, but going deliberately slow on TSMM and Soarin' doesn't make any more sense than the speed of other various projects going on. It's more about who's willing to pay to get things done quicker, and clearly that's Universal right now. Sure, complexity plays a part in this, but it's not like we're comparing Disney to your local carnival. The comparison is as fair as they come.
Disney's perfectly content making that comparison themselves ;)
750x422

Stripes

Premium Member

I understand now, thanks for the enlightenment. Either way, it's still incredibly cheap. Can we agree on this, FJ is more innovative technologically than RSR, but RSR is more impressive given its scope (I don't believe there is a single dark ride on Earth which is 6 acres in size, if you find one let me know), artistry, and innovative AAs

RSoxNo1

You are comparing apples and oranges. TSMM is a minor expansion, with 0 reasons to dedicate a large number of workers to the project. Transformers, was a new major attraction, nowhere near Disney-quality, but major. Also, adding an expansion to existing facilities without compromising the guest experience is much more difficult than constructing a building "on a plot of land entirely landlocked". If Disney opened an E-ticket attraction as cheap as Transformers people would be ticked.
Nowhere near Disney quality? Are you high? It is a better attraction than Star Wars which most on this board would consider a D ticket at worst.

Stripes

Premium Member
Disney's perfectly content making that comparison themselves ;)
750x422
Bet you were cheering for RRR. I can't wait till June 17 when Shanghai opens, and these forums get a good look at the unseen creativity and innovation of WDI. I know I'm new, with 0 credibility, but Toy Story Land is going to be much more impressive than these schematics make it out to be. There are going to be AAs and MyMagic+ interactivity everywhere.

No Name

Hogwarts cost about $400 million, right? Therefore, with $2 billion apparently being spent on both Star Wars lands ($1B for each), Disney should be able to come up with two rides on or above the level of Forbidden Journey, and still have a good amount of money left for all of the extra rockwork and land theming. Of course they probably won't, and that's where I question how they manage their budgets.

I understand now, thanks for the enlightenment. Either way, it's still incredibly cheap. Can we agree on this, FJ is more innovative technologically than RSR, but RSR is more impressive given its scope (I don't believe there is a single dark ride on Earth which is 6 acres in size, if you find one let me know), artistry, and innovative AAs

No, you guys won't agree because you have different opinions. Many people think FJ is more impressive. You are trying to present it as a fact that RSR is more impressive, when that is just your opinion. RSR may have better AAs, and it may take up more room (does that matter??), but in no way does that make it a better ride. FJ has great screen-to-set intergration and has its own merits. It's really just an opinion.

Bet you were cheering for RRR. I can't wait till June 17 when Shanghai opens, and these forums get a good look at the unseen creativity and innovation of WDI. I know I'm new, with 0 credibility, but Toy Story Land is going to be much more impressive than these schematics make it out to be. There are going to be AAs and MyMagic+ interactivity everywhere.

I do like your confidence in them. I hope Toy Story Land is more impressive than it looks. And I'm also very excited for Shanghai.

Stripes

Premium Member
Nowhere near Disney quality? Are you high? It is a better attraction than Star Wars which most on this board would consider a D ticket at worst.
I don't consider Star Tours a D-ticket, I think it is a sad product of the Eisner era. I would be very upset if Disney built the same Transformers attraction. It would be a brand contraction.

RSoxNo1

I stand corrected on animatronics. No matter how bad they are, they exist, but in the 21st century Universal track record for AAs is appalling.

If they rotate, that's fine. I'll also stand corrected. But, looking at videos of the attraction broke down with the lights on, you can see at least 3 stationary screens side-by-side.

I recognize Disney's failures-DCA, present-day Epcot, present-day Tomorrowland-but I'm also a pretty understanding person and willing to give them second chances.

I wasn't the one that brought up reusing ride systems, that was Mike S, I simply pointed out that Universal has done the same in the past as well.
People on this board are more knowledgeable about both resorts than you are. You've brought a toothbrush to a gun fight. Stop trolling and come back with some legitimate arguments that you can stand behind. Instead, you're changing the argument.

Universal relies more on screens than animatronics. No one is going to argue that with you.

DManRightHere

So what's taking the additions at TSMM and Soarin' so long? Can't really blame Universal for using screens when much of what Disney has done in the past decade relies heavily upon them as well.

I'm not overly concerned about it either way as long as the attractions are innovative and immersive in SWL.

I thought TSMM and Soarin were built incredibly fast...less than 2 years? I may be wrong.

FigmentForver96

I don't consider Star Tours a D-ticket, I think it is a sad product of the Eisner era. I would be very upset if Disney built the same Transformers attraction. It would be a brand contraction.
Star Tours was a great ride during it's debut and the update kept it timeless. I'm guessing Tower is just a drop ride fair type attraction making it and or c.

Mike S

Yes we know WDI can still be creative and innovate. Just look at Mystic Manor in Hong Kong. Problem is most of that is done overseas these days. The last time something huge, new, and ground breaking was pushed stateside we got a Yeti with a taste for Disco. Soarin' and Mission: SPACE before that. Since then we didn't really get anything huge until RSR which had the full push from John Lasseter to make it great but also didn't do much new except for beautiful scenery and very well done AA's. We'll have to wait till next year to see if Avatar's attractions push the envelope and 2-3 years more for Star Wars. Concerning Toy Story Land, please look up the other two versions so you know what to expect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom