Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes we know WDI can still be creative and innovate. Just look at Mystic Manor in Hong Kong. Problem is most of that is done overseas these days. The last time something huge, new, and ground breaking was pushed stateside we got a Yeti with a taste for Disco. Soarin' and Mission: SPACE before that. Since the we didn't really get anything huge until RSR which had the full push from John Lasseter to make it great but also didn't do much new except for beautiful scenery and very well done AA's. We'll have to wait till next year to see if Avatar's attractions push the envelope and 2-3 years more for Star Wars. Concerning Toy Story Land, please look up the other two versions so you know what to expect.
You could say the same about JK and Warner with Wizarding World. James Cameron with Avatar, Lucasfilm for Star Wars, CCP with Shanghai, the list goes on. You don't spend $1 billion on Pandora, the most expensive 9.5 acres in theme park history, for lousy attractions.

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes we know WDI can still be creative and innovate. Just look at Mystic Manor in Hong Kong. Problem is most of that is done overseas these days. The last time something huge, new, and ground breaking was pushed stateside we got a Yeti with a taste for Disco. Soarin' and Mission: SPACE before that. Since then we didn't really get anything huge until RSR which had the full push from John Lasseter to make it great but also didn't do much new except for beautiful scenery and very well done AA's. We'll have to wait till next year to see if Avatar's attractions push the envelope and 2-3 years more for Star Wars. Concerning Toy Story Land, please look up the other two versions so you know what to expect.
Why did they spend money overseas? To boost flailing parks and more urgent needs. With competition stepping up domestically, Disney is turning their attention back home. How can everyone be so blind so as to not see this YUGE business move. I'm aware of the previous renderings of TSL, however it is my understanding that some things were cut, but also a lot was removed from that rendering because WDI is going for "under promise, over deliver"

Stripes

Premium Member
You could say the same about JK and Warner with Wizarding World. James Cameron with Avatar, Lucasfilm for Star Wars, CCP with Shanghai, the list goes on. You don't spend $1 billion on Pandora, the most expensive 9.5 acres in theme park history, for lousy attractions.
Disney's investors would have a FIT! For once, having shareholders may be a positive for park guests.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Honestly thought this forum had more positivity toward Disney than what's apparent to me. .

BTW, long time reader, first time commenter. Love this forum!

You're a long time lurker. You should know.

If youre going to be argumentative at least sort your facts from just opinion. Or maybe just try dialling it back a little. You're rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way looking at their comments. You wouldn't want to get pigeon holed so early on.

Last edited:

Biff215

I thought TSMM and Soarin were built incredibly fast...less than 2 years? I may be wrong.
Fast? Maybe by recent Disney standards, but with both being additions to rides that already exist, I'm pretty sure this is them again choosing to be deliberately slow even though the capacity is desperately needed.

Mike S

I do view Avatar and Star Wars the same way. Without James Cameron and his infamous drive for perfection Avatar probably wouldn't look half as good as it does. For Star Wars we surprisingly have the BoD to thank. When they were shown the original plans they were unimpressed and told WDI to "try again." Even they see Star Wars is something they can't mess up. I also never said the attractions in Pandora would be lousy. I said we'll have to wait to see if they push the envelope.
Why did they spend money overseas? To boost flailing parks and more urgent needs. With competition stepping up domestically, Disney is turning their attention back home. How can everyone be so blind so as to not see this YUGE business move. I'm aware of the previous renderings of TSL, however it is my understanding that some things were cut, but also a lot was removed from that rendering because WDI is going for "under promise, over deliver"
I just have to laugh a little when people suggest that the low levels of domestic investments are because Disney just has to focus on the foreign parks when history shows us that Disney was perfectly capable of building amazing things in the U.S. at the same as building whole resorts overseas in the past. They even invested at the same time as building brand new parks in the same year (1989 gave us both DHS and Typhoon Lagoon and i'm sure a nice number of other projects like Splash Mountain in Disneyland). For Toy Story Land I meant look up the versions built in Hong Kong and Paris. We may have different rides but the overall look and feel will likely be the same.

Last edited:

gmajew

Toy Story land was never suppose to = Potter Land.... So why are people trying to make the comparison that TS is going to be of less quality. Of course it is different environment different purpose.

Potter Land = Star Wars Land... We need to hope that actually happens with the level of ride they roll out, hopefully one that all ages can enjoy not like potter land... My 6 year old cried for days that he was not tall enough for anything in Potter... Now he can ride anything but a land of this size and with this type of IP needs to have something for all sizes and ages...

twebber55

Toy Story land was never suppose to = Potter Land.... So why are people trying to make the comparison that TS is going to be of less quality. Of course it is different environment different purpose.

Potter Land = Star Wars Land... We need to hope that actually happens with the level of ride they roll out, hopefully one that all ages can enjoy not like potter land... My 6 year old cried for days that he was not tall enough for anything in Potter... Now he can ride anything but a land of this size and with this type of IP needs to have something for all sizes and ages...
i have no doubt the immersion of pandora and star wars will be on the level of the WWOHP if not better but the question will be in the rides/attractions

gmajew

i have no doubt the immersion of pandora and star wars will be on the level of the WWOHP if not better but the question will be in the rides/attractions

Depends on what you are looking for as rides... If you are looking for two roller coaster or extreme type rides they will not compare... Disney would not open a new land with two rides like that. I think we are looking at something that will be more in the line of one extreme and one pirates type adventure.... Again not everyone wants extreme rides non stop... that is what I feel both potter rides are as both are height restricted.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You are comparing apples and oranges. TSMM is a minor expansion, with 0 reasons to dedicate a large number of workers to the project. Transformers, was a new major attraction, nowhere near Disney-quality, but major. Also, adding an expansion to existing facilities without compromising the guest experience is much more difficult than constructing a building "on a plot of land entirely landlocked". If Disney opened an E-ticket attraction as cheap as Transformers people would be ticked.

Just to clarify something, TSMM isn't being added to an existing facility, it's being build in the soundstage next to the existing ride, so has little impact on the existing ride. So the speed of the TSMM expansion simply comes down to Disney choosing to not throw a lot of resources at it, which is sort of the point of this conversation, Disney is choosing to build slower then they could.

Mike S

An area for kids where both rides will have height requirements based on similar things we've seen in the past. Seems legit. A Pixar Place with Ratatouille and either Monsters Inc. ride from Anaheim or Tokyo would've had no such requirements and been much better off. As it stands TSMM will still be the only ride like that for families.

twebber55

Depends on what you are looking for as rides... If you are looking for two roller coaster or extreme type rides they will not compare... Disney would not open a new land with two rides like that. I think we are looking at something that will be more in the line of one extreme and one pirates type adventure.... Again not everyone wants extreme rides non stop... that is what I feel both potter rides are as both are height restricted.
I AGREE
i was more or less saying this because we still dont have a good grasp of what these rides will entail

NormC

This convo is getting too long, I explained why it's taking Disney longer to build TSMM earlier (which applies to Soarin' as well).
How does it apply to Soarin'? TSMM is a renovation of an existing sound stage. Soarin' requires a whole new building.

RSoxNo1

An area for kids where both rides will have height requirements based on similar things we've seen in the past. Seems legit. A Pixar Place with Ratatouille and either Monsters Inc. ride from Anaheim or Tokyo would've had no such requirements and been much better off. As it stands TSMM will still be the only ride like that for families.
The height requirement for A$$ will be low (probably 32) and SDD will probably be 38. That basically eliminates age 4 and under.

It's a valid complaint though, in part because only 2 of the existing 5 rides in the park are without height requirements. I've made similar complaints about Islands of Adventure where almost everything has a height requirement as well. It would be nice to see future Pixar expansion include some C ticket dark rides without height requirements. If the Monster's Inc ride in DCA is going away, perhaps a version gets rebuilt in DHS. Sure, it's not reinventing the wheel, but it's a decent C-ticket.

doctornick

How does it apply to Soarin'? TSMM is a renovation of an existing sound stage. Soarin' requires a whole new building.

Yeah, the timeframe for the build for the new Soarin' theater actually hasn't seemed unreasonable to me. Now, the length of time they have the ride closed to connect the new theater seems excessive, though I am under the impression they are also working on the queue during this downtime.

TSMM's build for the third track seems ridiculously long.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah, the timeframe for the build for the new Soarin' theater actually hasn't seemed unreasonable to me. Now, the length of time they have the ride closed to connect the new theater seems excessive, though I am under the impression they are also working on the queue during this downtime.

TSMM's build for the third track seems ridiculously long.

The third theater is going to be about 19 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom