Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How many axis of motion do those animatronics have combined? 8? They're more decorated motors than they are Audio-Animatronics, and hardly innovative in any form of the word.

Well, you sure can't tell the screens are rotating, and if they are it's usually from screen to screen than screen to set. Look, all I know is, from what I'm hearing about the Millenium Falcon attraction, it should blow Forbidden Journey out of the water for innovation, technical prowess, and theming. Truly looking forward to it. Honestly thought this forum had more positivity toward Disney than what's apparent to me. I feel like I'm on Orlando United's site, being bashed for every pro-Disney comment I make. I'm not blind to Disney's inadequate treatment of Disneyworld, but I also feel like they're turning the page after the inevitable success of Shanghai.

You made the claim that FJ didn't have animatronics, and we showed that it did, we weren't trying to compare them to other animatronics.

You aren't supposed to know the screens are rotating, they rotate so the vehicles never need to stop, and I believe you always go from a screen to a show set and back. If you are going to claim this ride isn't innovative you at least need to understand how it works.

When it comes to Disney you will find the people on this board are for the most part very honest, they tell it like it is, and sometimes the truth hurts. There are people on the extremes here but most are balanced.

whether you mean to are not you are coming across as totally in the Disney camp. You criticized Universal for using the same ride system twice in the same resort, yet you seem to be ok with Disney doing this.

Stripes

Premium Member
That's kind of the point. It's supposed to feel completely seamless. Also if you don't care for FJ's projection screens I have some bad news about the Falcon ride for you............
I don't mind screens at all. However, you have to recognize that screens are 1. Easier to implement 2. Faster to implement 3. Cheaper, relative to detailed animatronics such as what Disney is building with Cars, Avatar, and Star Wars. Let me make clear, I'm not against screens, in fact I think they're better than animatronics in a number of ways, but you can't deny Universal's emphasis on them has allowed them to build attractions at a faster pace.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't mind screens at all. However, you have to recognize that screens are 1. Easier to implement 2. Faster to implement 3. Cheaper, relative to detailed animatronics such as what Disney is building with Cars, Avatar, and Star Wars. Let me make clear, I'm not against screens, in fact I think they're better than animatronics in a number of ways, but you can't deny Universal's emphasis on them has allowed them to build attractions at a faster pace.

We really don't know at this point how much animatronics are going to figure into the rides for Avatar or Star Wars. Flight of Passage for Avatar is going to be screen based and we don't yet know if there will be physical sets of animatronics. The Millennium Falcon ride will also likely be screen based, but again we don't know how much beyond that it will go.

Biff215

So what's taking the additions at TSMM and Soarin' so long? Can't really blame Universal for using screens when much of what Disney has done in the past decade relies heavily upon them as well.

I'm not overly concerned about it either way as long as the attractions are innovative and immersive in SWL.

Stripes

Premium Member
You made the claim that FJ didn't have animatronics, and we showed that it did, we weren't trying to compare them to other animatronics.

You aren't supposed to know the screens are rotating, they rotate so the vehicles never need to stop, and I believe you always go from a screen to a show set and back. If you are going to claim this ride isn't innovative you at least need to understand how it works.

When it comes to Disney you will find the people on this board are for the most part very honest, they tell it like it is, and sometimes the truth hurts. There are people on the extremes here but most are balanced.

whether you mean to are not you are coming across as totally in the Disney camp. You criticized Universal for using the same ride system twice in the same resort, yet you seem to be ok with Disney doing this.
I stand corrected on animatronics. No matter how bad they are, they exist, but in the 21st century Universal track record for AAs is appalling.

If they rotate, that's fine. I'll also stand corrected. But, looking at videos of the attraction broke down with the lights on, you can see at least 3 stationary screens side-by-side.

I recognize Disney's failures-DCA, present-day Epcot, present-day Tomorrowland-but I'm also a pretty understanding person and willing to give them second chances.

I wasn't the one that brought up reusing ride systems, that was Mike S, I simply pointed out that Universal has done the same in the past as well.

Mike S

I stand corrected on animatronics. No matter how bad they are, they exist, but in the 21st century Universal track record for AAs is appalling.

If they rotate, that's fine. I'll also stand corrected. But, looking at videos of the attraction broke down with the lights on, you can see at least 3 stationary screens side-by-side.

I recognize Disney's failures-DCA, present-day Epcot, present-day Tomorrowland-but I'm also a pretty understanding person and willing to give them second chances.

I wasn't the one that brought up reusing ride systems, that was Mike S, I simply pointed out that Universal has done the same in the past as well.
First bolded: They were stationary because, as you said, the ride broke down........

Second bolded: I brought that up to help my point that FJ was more ground breaking than RSR. Doesn't stop both rides from being great though.

Stripes

Premium Member
So what's taking the additions at TSMM and Soarin' so long? Can't really blame Universal for using screens when much of what Disney has done in the past decade relies heavily upon them as well.

I'm not overly concerned about it either way as long as the attractions are innovative and immersive in SWL.
This convo is getting too long, I explained why it's taking Disney longer to build TSMM earlier (which applies to Soarin' as well).

Stripes

Premium Member
First bolded: They were stationary because, as you said, the ride broke down........

Second bolded: I brought that up to help my point that FJ was more ground breaking than RSR. Doesn't stop both rides from being great though.
Doesn't change the fact that they're side by side, hence making it impossible to make to screen-to-set transition as was claimed by danlb_2000.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom