Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stripes

Premium Member
0 reasons to dedicate enough workers to TSMM? You mean besides a park that is in trouble due to lack of capacity during construction?

Silver lining: if they had rushed TSMM we would probably be getting Guardians of the Tower in 6 months.
You think Disney management gives a rat's about lack of capacity? They care about revenue, cost-benefit ratio, profits, etc. They know, and so do you, that an expansion of the same ride isn't going to draw a single extra guest, that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Last edited:

Wikkler

Very well done, @Wikkler ! So, one key question on your calculations for HS and AK: Since both include several shows, how did you account for shows that happen only at certain times or Did the touring plans already take that into consideration? If so, WOW!!! That is some detail. I would have expected both to be full day parks, based on our experiences.
I included The American Adventure in Epcot, Mermaid, Indy, BatB, and Disney Junior in DHS, and Lion King, Nemo, and Flights of Wonder in DAK. Keep in mind this is for the average guest. It's very easy to extend both parks to full-day status by taking breathers or walking slower. Also, I skipped meals.

Stripes

Premium Member
Let me rephrase it.

As park attractions go, it wasn't cheap.

Let's agree to disagree.
I think we can agree to disagree. If you can give me a single 0 to hero e-ticket esque attraction (excluding Transformers) built by either Universal or Disney for $90 million or less built from 2010 to present (or since 2000 US$ inflation adjusted), I will gladly eat my words.

Last edited:

rioriz

If we are talking about Transformers, lets just be honest in saying that we have accused Disney of "being cheap" and sharing the cost to duplicate an attraction from one coast to the next. I have seen it posted many times that it is lazy thinking and "why can't they just leave that in CA...". UOR is possibly looking to do the exact same thing with SLOP (I just love that acronym)

I don't think saying it is cheap to build any attraction of worth but it is "cheaper" to duplicate said attraction and place in two (or more) parks. Just like the new Tokyo Soarin attraction will cost peanuts compared to what it would be if the work (for the ride) had not already been done.

Stripes

Premium Member
If we are talking about Transformers, lets just be honest in saying that we have accused Disney of "being cheap" and sharing the cost to duplicate an attraction from one coast to the next. I have seen it posted many times that it is lazy thinking and "why can't they just leave that in CA...". UOR is possibly looking to do the exact same thing with SLOP (I just love that acronym)

I don't think saying it is cheap to build any attraction of worth but it is "cheaper" to duplicate said attraction and place in two (or more) parks. Just like the new Tokyo Soarin attraction will cost peanuts compared to what it would be if the work (for the ride) had not already been done.
I'd agree. But while cost sharing can lower potential costs, a duplicate is not necessarily cheaper. Consider the different costs of developing at USH vs UOR, according to the LA Times, it cost Universal 2.5x as much to build Hogsmeade in Hollywood vs Florida, simply due to land factors and cost differences for materials, labor, etc. in California vs. Florida. As they tell you in real estate: location, location, location.

jt04

I'd agree. But while cost sharing can lower potential costs, a duplicate is not necessarily cheaper. Consider the different costs of developing at USH vs UOR, according to the LA Times, it cost Universal 2.5x as much to build Hogsmeade in Hollywood vs Florida, simply due to land factors and cost differences for materials, labor, etc. in California vs. Florida. As they tell you in real estate: location, location, location.

Wow. That is a big difference. Big factor must be making it earthquake proofish.

Mike S

Indeed. Which makes the completion of RSR, a much more impressive attraction than the projection screens of Forbidden Journey, in just 3 years, even more impressive. Either way, Micechat is reporting that things are moving extremely quickly on Star Wars Land in California, in comparison to their other recent projects.

Nevertheless, my original argument was that Universal does NOT build similarly advanced/sized attractions faster than Disney. danlb_2000 commented that Transformers took "only 11 [months]". Well, what do you expect? All they had to do what install the little bits of theming, the projection screens, and the ride system. Poof done.
Yes, reusing the same ride system as Test Track for the third time was so much more amazing than the never done before system of Forbidden Journey which also perfectly blended a complicated system of rotating projection domes with amazing physical sets and animatronics. Don't get me wrong, I loved RSR when I went to DLR but the first time I rode Forbidden Journey it blew my mind what Universal accomplished.

The best acronym by far goes to Alien Swirling Saucers opening in Toy Story Land :hilarious:

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes, reusing the same ride system as Test Track for the third time was so much more amazing than the never done before system of Forbidden Journey which also perfectly blended a complicated system of rotating projection domes with amazing physical sets and animatronics. Don't get me wrong, I loved RSR when I went to DLR but the first time I rode Forbidden Journey it blew my mind what Universal accomplished.

The best acronym by far goes to Alien Swirling Saucers opening in Toy Story Land :hilarious:
Oh dear they reused a ride system, heaven forbid! At least they weren't idiotic enough to reuse it twice in the same resort. Living in California, my first experience with the Test Track ride system was RSR, and I was even more blown away by that ride as whole than Forbidden Journey. What animatronics? What "rotating" projection domes? The only development from that attraction is the ride system, which Universal fanboys will laud as the "mother to end all ride systems" (someone has commented that). It's a KUKA arm mounted to a track, original? Yes. Innovative? No. So please, spare me!

captainmoch

Oh dear they reused a ride system, heaven forbid! At least they weren't idiotic enough to reuse it twice in the same resort. Living in California, my first experience with the Test Track ride system was RSR, and I was even more blown away by that ride as whole than Forbidden Journey. What animatronics? What "rotating" projection domes? The only development from that attraction is the ride system, which Universal fanboys will laud as the "mother to end all ride systems" (someone has commented that). It's a KUKA arm mounted to a track, original? Yes. Innovative? No. So please, spare me!
Really? You're arguing that FJ doesn't have animatronics and a rotating projection dome system? You're arguing that a first of its kind completely unique ride system isn't innovative? Yeah... no.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What animatronics? What "rotating" projection domes? !

Capture.JPG

5_60.jpg

At least they weren't idiotic enough to reuse it twice in the same resort!

Like Disney did when they opened Body Wars and Star Tours within a month of each other?

Mike S

These animatronics.
055.jpg

FJlightsonWhompingWillow.jpg

FJDementorSerpenthead.jpg

And the "rotating projection domes," they're not stationary. They follow your vehicle as you move between physical show scenes.
5_60.jpg

My only point is that FJ raised the bar a lot more than RSR even though they're both great rides.

Thanks for the backup @danlb_2000

danlb_2000

Premium Member
These animatronics.
055.jpg

FJlightsonWhompingWillow.jpg

FJDementorSerpenthead.jpg

And the "rotating projection domes," they're not stationary. They follow your vehicle as you move between physical show scenes.
5_60.jpg

My only point is that FJ raised the bar a lot more than RSR even though they're both great rides.

Thanks for the backup @danlb_2000

I agree with this. These are two of my favorite rides, and even though I like RSR a little more then FJ, I can't deny that there is a lot more innovation in FJ.

Stripes

Premium Member
How many axis of motion do those animatronics have combined? 8? They're more decorated motors than they are Audio-Animatronics, and hardly innovative in any form of the word.

Well, you sure can't tell the screens are rotating, and if they are it's usually from screen to screen than screen to set. Look, all I know is, from what I'm hearing about the Millenium Falcon attraction, it should blow Forbidden Journey out of the water for innovation, technical prowess, and theming. Truly looking forward to it. Honestly thought this forum had more positivity toward Disney than what's apparent to me. I feel like I'm on Orlando United's site, being bashed for every pro-Disney comment I make. I'm not blind to Disney's inadequate treatment of Disneyworld, but I also feel like they're turning the page after the inevitable success of Shanghai.

Mike S

How many axis of motion do those animatronics have combined? 8? They're more decorated motors than they are Audio-Animatronics, and hardly innovative in any form of the word.

Well, you sure can't tell the screens are rotating, and if they are it's usually from screen to screen than screen to set. Look, all I know is, from what I'm hearing about the Millenium Falcon attraction, it should blow Forbidden Journey out of the water for innovation, technical prowess, and theming. Truly looking forward to it. Honestly thought this forum had more positivity toward Disney than what's apparent to me. I feel like I'm on Orlando United's site, being bashed for every pro-Disney comment I make. I'm not blind to Disney's inadequate treatment of Disneyworld, but I also feel like they're turning the page after the inevitable success of Shanghai.
That's kind of the point. It's supposed to feel completely seamless. Also if you don't care for FJ's projection screens I have some bad news about the Falcon ride for you............

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom