Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

Even more accurate. Just ignore the BAH

disneys-hollywood-studios-star-wars-toy-story-land-overlay-jpg.138617
Great job.

Jaison

Also, is it just me or is anyone wondering if the rock-work is going to be brown or a steel gray color.

This is exactly what I am wondering?? Any chance of two distinct planets? One for Disneyland, and one for DHS. They certainly look different enough, but that could just be the artists styles ....

Donaldfan1934

DHS version of SWL is their version of SWL, it is not their Cars Land like project ... that concept project, i.e. the next PIXAR well themed land is in the ether waiting for shoes to drop for placement. And no TSL is very much not that project.
I'm not being literal here, I'm being metaphorical. What Cars Land did to DCA is exactly what Star Wars Land will do to DHS if they go about the opening properly. Like DCA, the other additions and changes will help, but SWL, like CL, will be the real game changer for the park. As long as Star Wars Land gets put in the park, no other land will generate anywhere near the amount of buzz unless Disney somehow made a deal with Universal to get the Marvel characters back and put a Marvel land into the park.

AEfx

I could see the slinky dog coaster becoming the next Chester and Hester's. The proximity to Star Wars could make it look.. uninspired if it's not integrated into the landscape and infrastructure in an elegant way.

I agree. Chester and Hester 2.0 is exactly what it looks like to me. A positive is that it gives the kiddos more to do at the Studios, but that is about the only nice thing I can say about it. It just reeks of that temporary, stop-gap "land" feel. And if they had to do Pixar, my goodness - do the folks at WDW know that there are actually Pixar films that aren't "Toy Story"??!!

HauntedMansionFLA

I'm not being literal here, I'm being metaphorical. What Cars Land did to DCA is exactly what Star Wars Land will do to DHS if they go about the opening properly. Like DCA, the other additions and changes will help, but SWL, like CL, will be the real game changer for the park. As long as Star Wars Land gets put in the park, no other land will generate anywhere near the amount of buzz unless Disney somehow made a deal with Universal to get the Marvel characters back and put a Marvel land into the park.
Marvel wouldn't even come close. Marvel can stay at Universal.

Donaldfan1934

One question here. Why is Disney hell bent on saving the Muppets? The show on ABC has been doing meh and Muppet-Vision is up there in years as far as 3D shows go, so what's the desperation for? Sure, it adds much needed variety to the park, but at the expense of creating a major flaw in the park's theming? I'm sorry, but everything except for the Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Fantasmic!, and the five existing rides is pretty much disposable or not worth going to great lengths to preserve in my eyes. I would've put One Man's Dream on that list, but TSL's placement certainly makes it look like it's going the way of the dodo bird. Again, I could be wrong and maybe the Muppets is just a temporary placeholder until the point in construction comes where they need to connect the ride to the land, but it does seem like it may be my first assumption.

doctornick

I think that is why the small corridor of the Streets of America still exists. That will be the entrance to the land from that area. Still unsure if Muppets will connect around the other side as well. It doesnt appear to ....

Agree that the concept art doesn't seem to indicate a second entrance from the Muppets (the old Premiere Theater area) which strikes me as odd because (1) it would make the Muppet Courtyard into a deadend which is not idea for guest flow and (2) limits movement in and out of Star Wars.

I hope that's just a limit of the concept art. The dark area in the bottom left of the SW concept art intrigues me -- is that a body of water? That would be in the old San Francisco St/Premier Theater area and I hope there would be a small path on the other side of it connecting the Muppets and Star Wars (maybe it would lead in and connect to behind the archway in the concept art).

AEfx

((2) limits movement in and out of Star Wars.

I think they are going to intentionally bottleneck Star Wars as much as possible - for crowd control. It's going to be insane - I don't think folks realize that once Star Wars is opened, the studios automatically are going to jump into the #2 attended WDW park, and I think even the least jaded are going to be shocked at how closely it approaches the MK. People are going to be waiting in at least one line to get into the land itself (much like we saw with Potter) for at least the first few years.

I know a lot of folks see Star Wars as just another acquired IP, but this is going to be demand unprecedented for Disney Parks. That's one reason it's a blessing they are doing it on both coasts, as one coast just couldn't have handled it.

That said, I think that while sure lots more families will be booking vacations - the landscape has just changed in Orlando. Disney is going to be selling a lot more one-day tickets than if something on this scale happened, say, ten years ago. The folks that are just skipping Disney now and doing "everything else" (Universal, Sea World, etc.) are going to be adding day trips on to WDW that they wouldn't have before because of the high daily cost if you don't buy a longer-term ticket.

Epcot should be very worried, though. Epcot will be the #4 park very quickly once Star Wars and Avatar are open - Frozen will help, but given with all that we know is coming elsewhere, even the most optimistic projections don't show anything "new" at Epcot for the next decade at least (re-do's are all we have hope for, will be lucky to get that) and the Teflon-nature of MK, even Frozen won't save it (particularly if the lines are as bad as many are projecting).

Mike S

I think they are going to intentionally bottleneck Star Wars as much as possible - for crowd control. It's going to be insane - I don't think folks realize that once Star Wars is opened, the studios automatically are going to jump into the #2 attended WDW park, and I think even the least jaded are going to be shocked at how closely it approaches the MK. People are going to be waiting in at least one line to get into the land itself (much like we saw with Potter) for at least the first few years.

I know a lot of folks see Star Wars as just another acquired IP, but this is going to be demand unprecedented for Disney Parks. That's one reason it's a blessing they are doing it on both coasts, as one coast just couldn't have handled it.

That said, I think that while sure lots more families will be booking vacations - the landscape has just changed in Orlando. Disney is going to be selling a lot more one-day tickets than if something on this scale happened, say, ten years ago. The folks that are just skipping Disney now and doing "everything else" (Universal, Sea World, etc.) are going to be adding day trips on to WDW that they wouldn't have before because of the high daily cost if you don't buy a longer-term ticket.

Epcot should be very worried, though. Epcot will be the #4 park very quickly once Star Wars and Avatar are open - Frozen will help, but given with all that we know is coming elsewhere, even the most optimistic projections don't show anything "new" at Epcot for the next decade at least (re-do's are all we have hope for, will be lucky to get that) and the Teflon-nature of MK, even Frozen won't save it (particularly if the lines are as bad as many are projecting).
That would only have the most effect if they opened simultaneously which we all know won't happen with Disneyland possibly having as much as a 6 month head start. Many, many people will want to be the ones to "see it first" and it will most assuredly be chaos for that park.

HauntedMansionFLA

I understand that the muppets will be between swl and star tours, but isn't it possible they will build some type of corridor behind muppets to connect them? It really makes no sense to not have star tours part of swl.
I agree with you. Star Tours would be a bonus for this great Looking land. A corridor would work. I've always thought having a peoplemover taking you from the Star Tours area over to Star Wars Land. It will be interesting. I always have a great time on Star Tours and know they keep adding scenes to it. I know Iger wanting to concentrate on the new movies. With Rogue One rumored to have Vader and Tarkin in it, could some of the older characters make it into the land?

Mike730

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to find out that WDW SWL is actually a bit more than 14 acres given the extra area to connect it down SOA and to the other lands. The designs of the lands are different. To restrict it to 14 acres just because DL's is would be silly, but they wouldn't promote WDW's as being bigger.

The angle of this walkway (in red) is what does it for me. If this is correct, the meat of the land starts pretty far down SOA, so there shouldn't be any real awkward space between star tours and SWL. Anyone with better skills wanna try lining up the overlay according to the red lines?

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think there will be enough space for something else? Here's my take (I posted this in the TSL thread too): View attachment 138609 Red: Slinky Dog
Blue: Alien Swirling Saucers
Orange: TSM
Green: Star Wars Land

I am thinking the show buildings for the 2 Star Wars attractions will take up a chunk of land which is why SWL looks like it has little guest areas. Just like how Diagon Alley is tight but the show building for Gringotts is massive.
View attachment 138610
Your coaster is far too big.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom