Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

CaptainAmerica

Read my post I said the characters people want! Not the second tier ones that are being talked about as options. Marvel needs to stay on west coast where they can do it and do it right with the top tier talent of that brand.
I have a different take. I think a character as iconic as Wolverine or Spiderman would feel more out of place at WDW. I think Guardians would be the perfect back door.

gmajew

I have a different take. I think a character as iconic as Wolverine or Spiderman would feel more out of place at WDW. I think Guardians would be the perfect back door.

I agree with you but I don't see that one being allowed in to the parks... Especially since it is now confirmed they will be in the infinity movies. I don't see Disney shoe horning it into WDW if they have to spend on legal. I think they are more at terms with Marvel not being in the parks then the fans.

CaptainAmerica

I agree with you but I don't see that one being allowed in to the parks... Especially since it is now confirmed they will be in the infinity movies. I don't see Disney shoe horning it into WDW if they have to spend on legal. I think they are more at terms with Marvel not being in the parks then the fans.
It doesn't matter that they're going to be in Infinity War because ex post facto information isn't going to modify the terms of the contract. They're not going to get lumped into a "family" of characters just because they were included alongside that family of characters in a film that gets made many years after the contract was signed. Think about the implications. If Disney's decision in 2016 were able to modify the application of the agreement, they could publish a comic book that says "Iron Man was never actually an Avenger and the last 75 years of material that says otherwise was nothing but an elaborate dream sequence, therefore we can use Iron Man at WDW."

It doesn't work that way. The terms remain as stipulated at the time of the signing. No judge would rule the way you're describing if Universal even bothered to challenge, which they won't.

gmajew

It doesn't matter that they're going to be in Infinity War because ex post facto information isn't going to modify the terms of the contract. They're not going to get lumped into a "family" of characters just because they were included alongside that family of characters in a film that gets made many years after the contract was signed. Think about the implications. If Disney's decision in 2016 were able to modify the application of the agreement, they could publish a comic book that says "Iron Man was never actually an Avenger and the last 75 years of material that says otherwise was nothing but an elaborate dream sequence, therefore we can use Iron Man at WDW."

It doesn't work that way. The terms remain as stipulated at the time of the signing. No judge would rule the way you're describing if Universal even bothered to challenge, which they won't.

True but I am not a comic book geek to know when they crossed over in the comic book series...

CaptainAmerica

True but I am not a comic book geek to know when they crossed over in the comic book series...
There's also nothing (to my knowledge) in the agreement that stipulates an "official" source of these character families. Technicalities of the comic books versus the MCU versus different specific continuity lines within the comic books are not going to be considered. For example, there's a universe where Spider-Man is an African-American named Miles Morales. He was created in 2011. I'm sure Disney would be forbidden from using him because the relevant IP is "Spider-man" even if he's not Peter Parker. The gray area of the agreement is not going to be enforced so pedantically. It'll be common sense. Ant-man is an Avenger. Groot is not even though he technically may have been in some comic at some point.

I wouldn't be shocked if Disney and Universal got together and came to an agreement that Universal won't sue Disney over the use of such-and-such a character and vice versa.

doctornick

The optimist in me would hope that once the two lands are finished, they'll turn their attention to the Animation Courtyard, which will almost certainly close the Star Wars Experience at that point. It'll be the worst area of the park at that point, in my opinion.

True that. Launch Bay will close when the land opens. So, the question is what exactly will happen to the old Animation building at that time? There was some talk that they would bring back the Animation Academy (I think most people would support that). Personally, I'd like to see them demolish the entire facility and add in attractions related to Disney animation, perhaps also including a new Animation Academy as part of it -- but using that opportunity to improve guest flow in the park and connecting the area with where RnR is.

SirLink

True that. Launch Bay will close when the land opens. So, the question is what exactly will happen to the old Animation building at that time? There was some talk that they would bring back the Animation Academy (I think most people would support that). Personally, I'd like to see them demolish the entire facility and add in attractions related to Disney animation, perhaps also including a new Animation Academy as part of it -- but using that opportunity to improve guest flow in the park and connecting the area with where RnR is.

Doubt it will close until at least a year after SWL opens

Wikkler

That doesn't make it a half-day park. When you skip things, that's not DAK's fault for offering too little, that's your fault for not doing what they offer. Yeah, you can ride Kilimanjaro and Everest and leave at 11:00, but that's like calling Magic Kingdom a half day park because you walk in, ride Splash Mountain, and then go home.
For some reason, this comment made me feel like scientifically determining if a park is a half-day park or not.

Using the Personalized Touring Plan creator (free advertisement for @lentesta !), I created several touring plans for the date of July 1st, 2016, and added every major attraction and then optimized.

Because science, these are the factors I used:
-No dining.
-No minor entertainment. The Disney Tourist Blog (run by @WDWFigment !) actually has a good list of attractions for each park that includes some things Disney calls entertainment but excludes some things Disney calls attractions.
-No potty breaks.
-No FauxPas+. I used Extra Magic Hours only for DHS.
-Average walking speed and a balance between waiting and walking.
-I subtracted "free time" from the plan.
-Keep in mind each total includes walk time and line time.

Magic Kingdom. Besides the rides, I included Enchanted Meet and Greet with Belle, Country Bears, PhilharMagic, the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, Stitch's Great Mistake, Tom Sawyer Island, Swiss Family Treehouse, the Festival of Fantasy and Main Street Electrical Parades, Celebrate the Projections, and Wishes. I also included the Main Street Vehicles even though most people won't be riding them. This park takes 15.5 hours to complete. Verdict: full-day park. It's really hard not to spend an entire day here.

Epcot. Besides the rides, I included American Adventure, Turtle Talk, the France, China, and Canada, and Circle of Life movies, World Showcase Adventure, Short Film Festival, Innoventions (Sum of All Thrills is listed separately), and IllumiNations (If Frozen's even open, it will add like 6 hours to this). I only included one Mission: SPACE because most people won't be doing both. This park takes 11.4 hours to complete. Verdict: full-day park, unless you don't like rides that remind you of what they once were, or hate educational attractions

Hollywood Studios. Besides the rides, I included the Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, Jedi Training, and Disney Junior stage shows, One Man's Dream, Muppets, and Fantasmic. This park takes 8.7 hours to complete (I was surprised as well!). Verdict: half-day park, especially if you aren't seeing all of the shows.

Animal Kingdom. Besides the rides, I included Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, Flights of Wonder, Maharajah, Rafiki's Surgeryland, Pangani Forest, and Bug's Life (Rivers of Light will add to the time if it opens by then, but it's impossible to tell how long it will take at this point). All these together total at 7.25 hours. Verdict: half-day park, but you can easily extend the time if you walk slower or explore the lushly detailed lands.

Guess what? Touring Plans doesn't just offer services for Disney World. They also have them for Disneyland and Universal Orlando. These should offer a comparison with the four parks this forum focuses on.

Disneyland: 14.2 hours. Lines are significantly shorter than Magic Kingdom, keep in mind.
California Adventure: 9.7 hours.
Universal Studios (without Hogwarts Express): 11.4 hours.
Islands of Adventure (without Hogwarts Express): 6.1 hours (That's right. The park that takes the shortest time... is a Universal park. Maybe a fluke in my calculations?)

BrianLo

Epcot, DHS and DAK are all 6-8 hour parks.

It is a worthwhile discussion to be had in this instance - are two high capacity rides attached to a popular IP that replace two high capacity rides, better for the park as a whole? Does it increase your length of stay? When the park should, and might by 2021, needs to increase the total number of rides and shows?

I think we're underselling the 'lands as attractions' short. Epcot is one of those. If you are truly doing World Show Case as it was meant to be done, it makes up for some of the inadequacies in the number of attractions department.

Diagon Alley is the other one where I consider the land itself a better attraction than the E-ticket tacked on. I think Star Wars will could follow a similar vein. While you might spend an hour riding both attractions, you'll easily spend another two just exploring the land.

I'm not excusing the awfully light ride lineup, but I just wouldn't discount the land itself as adding serious value to DHS.

jt04

I think we're underselling the 'lands as attractions' short. Epcot is one of those. If you are truly doing World Show Case as it was meant to be done, it makes up for some of the inadequacies in the number of attractions department.

Diagon Alley is the other one where I consider the land itself a better attraction than the E-ticket tacked on. I think Star Wars will could follow a similar vein. While you might spend an hour riding both attractions, you'll easily spend another two just exploring the land.

I'm not excusing the awfully light ride lineup, but I just wouldn't discount the land itself as adding serious value to DHS.

Since when is 3 E-tickets and other offerings considered a light ride lineup?

Mike S

My first weekend in Diagon Alley was spectacular even without Gringotts :inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom